“NOT impressed!”
Review of Chow

Chow
Ranked #18 of 144 Restaurants in Danville
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At Chow, we only use organic produce. We are proud to use products from local vendors and to use those products to make everything in house. Our Danville location has a bakery kitchen that makes all the fresh produce and then sends it to each of our locations. If you love our jams, salad dressings or anything else, please note that our Lafayette location has a Farmers’ Market with these products. You can now add Chow’s Cooking to your Home Cooking! Enjoy!
Reviewed December 8, 2008

I'd been to the Lafayette Chow several times, and enjoyed the food, but not so much the ambience---the tables seemed overly crowded together, with a noise level so high you could not be heard. I decided to give the Danville Chow a try...and was NOT impressed! I will say, the ambience was fine. It was surpsingly busy for lunch on a Monday, and a bit loud, but nothing like the other one! I can't complain about the service...although our server tried a bit too hard to make jokes that he'd obviously rehearssed and used multiple times already. The food, however, was NASTY. Let me say, I am not very picky about food. (I'm the type that thinks airline food is ok!) I would say this food was a step below airline food. I ordered a Caesar salad, which was made out of wilted lettuce that looked like it had been sitting out for a while. The dressing was virtually flavorless. I did not see any signs of the cheese that was supposed to be on the salad, and there were two "croutons" that were hard as rocks, you couldn't even cut into them. My entree was linguine with clams, in what was supposed to be a butter/wine type sauce. It arrived lukewarm, looking like last night's leftovers that didn't get heated up properly. The sauce was a salty but otherwise tasteless gross, congealed brown 'something' that bore no resemblance to butter or anything at all like it. The clams didn't seem fresh and didn't taste very good either. Overall, it was a really unpleasant tasting meal. I had really wanted to like this place, but don't think I'll be going back. Unfortunately, looking at the other reviews, it doesn't sound like my experience was unusual. Frankly, I just don't understand why so many people keep going to this place!

Reviewed November 26, 2008

Our first visit to the new Chow's in Danville. Lunch on the day before Thanksgiving, and we were both impressed. Nice warm design, decent space between tables, not as noisy as the Chow's in Lafayette.
Server was friendly and helpful. The food was excellent. I had a small Petrale Sole that was cooked perfectly. It was presented on cooked spinach and leek, and accompanied by French fries. Definitely recommended. Wife had minestrone soup and the fried calimari. Soup was great, octopus was so-so.
I like that fact that the entrees are available in large and small portions. More and more restaurants are doing this.
We'll go back again.

Reviewed November 4, 2008

I have always gone to the Chow in Lafayette.. so I was excited to hear of the opening of the Danville location.
We just went today, and honestly.. this was horrible!
The calamari has no flavor what so ever! It's just plain.. not something I was expecting....
I ordered the "grandma soup" which is broth with 6 ravioli.. I had to return the soup after one taste. It was sooooo lemony... I couldn't even use it to dip bread in it!
I ordered the onion soup in lieu of the first soup, and once again.. it was too salty.. and just not good. I had a couple of bites of this one.. and just asked the server to take it away.
All that, 2 drinks and a small pizza for $40??? I didn't even eat 3 out of the 4!!!!!!!!
I would probably go back to have a drink at the bar, a bottled beer.. but nothing else... I have heard nothing but negative feedback from anyone who has been there!

Reviewed September 21, 2008

This was our first time eating at the new Chow's in Danville. We have eaten at the one in Lafayette several times and have even catered many dinner parties using their catering department.
My family wanted to take me out for my birthday and try the new Chow's. The only thing that was okay was our server. Various other service personal that brought things to the table and cleared as we ate seemed out of it, my teenage daughters even joked that one guy seemed stoned. I didn't get all the tattoo's, piercings and hats worn backwards by the guys.
The bread that was brought to table only had three pieces of bread and we were a party of five. We had to ask for more which was brought right away. We ordered calamari for an appetizer and told the server it was to be shared. She should have warned us that it was a VERY SMALL serving enough for one person only.
My husbands small ceasar was also VERY SMALL, probably the smallest small ceasar ever! My daughters onion soup was too salty. My dinner steak frites (sp?) was okay. The meat had a great flavor but is was not cooked medium rare. It came out rare/raw which I dealt with. Good thing I do like barely cooked meat. My sons dish was the only generous serving, I guess because it was pasta.
My family asked for a birthday dessert and we found out Chow's doesn't do desserts for birthdays. At this point it doesn't matter because we most likely will not return for dinners, birthday or not. We will continue to eat at the Lafayette location if we want Chow's food