“Healthy eating in a small town flush with great restaurants”
Review of Chow

Chow
Ranked #22 of 146 Restaurants in Danville
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At Chow, we only use organic produce. We are proud to use products from local vendors and to use those products to make everything in house. Our Danville location has a bakery kitchen that makes all the fresh produce and then sends it to each of our locations. If you love our jams, salad dressings or anything else, please note that our Lafayette location has a Farmers’ Market with these products. You can now add Chow’s Cooking to your Home Cooking! Enjoy!
Reviewed February 26, 2013

A simple and healthy menu. Local produce, supporting sustainable farming and fishing, well prepared. Really fine service, and great value. Busy, but relaxing atmosphere. Creative decor and spacious. A favorite with locals. That includes me.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I usually go to the Chow in Lafayette and was a bit disappointed at the Danville location. Staff is not a friendly and helpful. Their veggie platter is not easily adjusted for vegan guests. The one vegan option was mostly noodles and the tofu was over-cooked. Finally service was so slow. Sad as this is a lovely location, is more spacious and has better parking than Lafayette.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We're always looking for another place to bring our 12 & 14-year old kids that actually has a good, varied, menu that doesn't include a lot of breaded and fried selections. We had eaten at Park Chow in San Francisco many times, so really looked forward to trying the Danville version. The hostess wasn't anywhere in sight when we arrived, but a member of the waitstaff quickly jumped in and showed us to a table.

We were not disappointed. The menu had all the variety and quality of Park Chow (organic, sustainable, etc.). My spouse had a salmon special, our 12-year old had a steak special, I had the Smiling Noodles (a menu staple), and our 14-year old had an organic burger. All the meals looked fresh and inviting. Everyone was very happy with their selections, and after a lot of sharing of bites and discussion, the steak was voted best entree. Overall, all the waitstaff were patient and attentive without being pushy.

The restaurant is not huge -- we arrived at about 5:45 on a Saturday night, and it was packed by 6:15. Other than the TVs above the bar, they did a good job of trying to recreate the atmosphere of the rooftop patio at Park Chow. It was funky and fun; the fireplaces (like in Park Chow) were a nice touch. Our family will definitely be back, and we can't wait to try Chow Danville for breakfast.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My cousin and I met in Danville to ride up Mt. Diablo. After spending most of the morning riding, we were hungry and decided to eat at Chow - mostly due to its proximity to where we parked. I ordered a cup of minestrone soup which was good. My entree was the clam linguini - it had about 4 clams. it had other seafood with it like shrimp and fish. The portion was a bit on the small side for 12.50. I also had a coke which was a can for 2.50 - so no refill. My cousin had a reuben which he seemed to enjoy. It was pretty crowded but I really don't know what the attraction is all about - my take is high prices for mediocre food.

Chow R, Sally Darling, General Manager at Chow, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

I am sorry to hear that you and your cousin weren't more impressed with your lunch, as we work hard to serve better than average food. Were you mostly disappointed with the portion size, or do you think it could have used more flavorful? I'll make sure to share your feedback with our kitchen.

I'd encourage you to give us another chance to better represent ourselves. I know we won't disappoint! Thanks for sharing, and take care.

Best regards,

Sally Darling, General Manager

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Mrs Havachat and myself have eaten there twice. We enjoyed the dinner we had there one night a couple months ago. Good comfort food decent wine, good service.
We went for lunch last week the service was terrible. We the 1/2 soup and sandwich combo. The sandwich was a picnic style egg salad sandwich, the soup was a minestrone soup. So the egg salad consisted of a loosely chopped hard boiled egg, with about 2 cups of mayo. It was very wet, inedible. The egg mayo mix wouldn't stay in the bread. They forgot the soup and served us french fries. The waiter realized the mistake after we were served. We got the soup a few mins later. The soup was good. However we couldn't wait to get out of there. We will explore other options in Danville before returning.

Chow R, Sally Darling, General Manager at Chow, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your lunch with us the other week. Would you mind letting me know when you came in exactly? Please trust that I'll be checking in with my team regarding your comments.

If you have any additional concerns or would like to speak with me directly, feel fee to leave an e-mail address or phone number where I can contact you. Having had a few good experiences with us beforehand, you probably know that incidents like these aren't typical for us. That in mind, I'd encourage you to give us another chance. We'd love to start fresh, with our best foot forward! Thanks so much for sharing, and take care.

Sally Darling, General Manager