“tripadvisor was great again”
Review of Eveready Diner

Eveready Diner
Ranked #1 of 47 Restaurants in Hyde Park
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed August 20, 2014

My wife ans I were both thrilled at the decor and the food. I had a great and I mean great rubin as good as I have had in NYC. Wife had has and eggs delicious and couldn't finish. She aldo had a PERFECT eggcream. If you are in the are this is an excellent choice

Reviewed August 18, 2014

One of the many things I like about the Eveready is that the food has tasted just as good pretty much every time I've been, throughout the 8-ish years I've been coming. I wonder if the same cooks have magically worked 24/7 for all these years. I like knowing that no matter what day of the week, or season, or year that I come, the food is going to taste as good as I remember.

Good prices, big portions (though last week for the first time the order of sweet potato fries was half the size I am used to...), and tasty stuff!

We eat in the diner about half the time, and the other half of the time we are ordering take-out because we don't feel like cooking supper that night but we want something inexpensive, large, and delicious.

I usually choose from their buffalo wings, salads (they have Several very good ones!), nachos, any of their burgers or sandwiches or paninis, or a patty melt. Their sides, like fries, onion rings, and cole slaw, are also real good. Hard to believe but, in my experience, everything is cooked the right way - even things I often find poorly done in other restaurants are done well here (for instance, they get their sweet potato fries crispy instead of soggy, and an egg cream is foamy and flavorful but not overly rich).

I tend to eat everything on my plate, but my wife and family frequently can eat only half of what we're given, and get a second meal out of it the next day at home as leftovers. I think you get a lot for your money here.

Bonuses are the alcoholic drinks (they have nice mixed drinks and ice cream/liquor combinations), the baked goods (including bread) they make on premises, and a nice decor that's 1950s/diner-ish but not over the top.

I'll add that they have mouth-watering desserts!

The place is always spotlessly clean and I almost always have had very attentive service no matter how busy it is. Also, quite a few of the staff (I most easily recognize the busboys) have been working there for several years, which gives me an additional good impression about the diner.

I'm constantly surprised at how many cars are in the parking lot, even at times when I imagine not a lot of people would be there or wanting to eat.

They have a couple of other "Eveready Diner" branches, each about 30 minutes from this one, but I recommend eating at this one!

Reviewed August 17, 2014

The last time I was in a diner was at least 20 years ago. Tonight was a real welcome back to a classic restaurant type. I found out from our server that the Eveready Diner dates back to the '50s, but it has been expanded. It is truly beautiful inside, with really nice booths and spotless everything else. The menu is huge, the servings are ample and prices are reasonable. We had a French Dip sandwich (delicious) and a Reuben (ditto). The accompanying sides (fries or rings, coleslaw and pickle) were good. Service was prompt, especially given that the place was full.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Eveready is straight out of the 1950's. The selections are many, portions are generous and the desserts are eye=popping. One of the beat things about this place is the baking is done on the premises so it is very fresh. I had a hearty chicken soup with orzo and my wife had the house salad to start. We both had the hot turkey dinner which came with all white meat. Excellent! We took a couple of desserts for the road and they did not disappoint. Service was professional and good once our order was taken. We have been there 3 or 4 times and will continue to visit.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

I'd read favorable reviews for the Eveready so I wanted to give it a go. What a great choice! I love the 50s decor but everything is squeaky clean and well-maintained. The staff were friendly and efficient.

The menu offers so many choices! I just couldn't get past the interesting salads offered. The first visit I had the Chicken Polynesian Salad with chicken, greens, toasted pecans, sesame seeds, mandarin oranges and more layered with a couple of crisp wonton wrapper sheets for some nice extra crunch, all topped with a light, tasty plum dressing. Yum! The herb-topped bread was too much to resist.

The next day we returned and I had one of the specials--Turkey Cobb Salad (chicken and shrimp are offered on their regular menu). Another great choice, but so generous that I had to pack some to take with me. On that visit I also snagged a couple of French fries off my sister's plate--even tho I don't normally eat them-- because they looked great--and it turned out that they tasted great too! Nice and crispy!

There is something on the menu for everyone here and I'll bet it all tastes great! And I was sorry that I didn't have room for something out of the bakery case--it all looked good too!

Been to Eveready Diner? Share your experiences!