“Lovely Inn for relaxing and close to Hyde Park attractions” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Petit Chateau Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hyde Park
Le Petit Chateau Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Hyde Park B&B and Inns
Poughkeepsie, NY
“Lovely Inn for relaxing and close to Hyde Park attractions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2008

I've stayed in a quiet country inn near the Culinary Institute of America, President Roosevelt 's Home and Library, Eleanor Roosevelt's Val-Kill cottage, the Vanderbilt Estate and the Hudson River. This B&B offers a lovely site secluded by trees with a huge pond with an island. The breakfast breads baked by CIA students onsite and a glass of wine by the pond watching a large variety of birds made a great way to begin and end a lovely day. Highly recommended for touring and relaxing in Dutchess County.

• Liked — Relaxing atmosphere, close to all attractions
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2007

What's not to like? I have to admit, I have never liked the idea of a staying at a bed and breakfast, sort of like spending the night with several strangers, which you are. Notwithstanding, the ambience was relaxing and vacation-like. They have a strong connection to all things French and that adds to the charm. Not forcing it on you but, from the name, Le Petit Chateau Inn, to the names of the rooms (various French beverages) its a nice introduction to the what French culture has to offer. They offer various classes and package deals throughout the year, apparently, centered around learning about wines and gourmet food(s). It all looked like good fun and I would have looked in to it all if I wasn't there "on the clock". Again, what's not to like? I'd come back in a heartbeat and I did.

WorkingTraveler/Tex.

Stayed October 2007
LPC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2007

The inn was very cute. I have read the other reviews and can not understand why these people felt that way. The inn is located on a wonderful property. There is a beautiful lake, wonderful Christmas tree farm, and very close to great restaurants (CIA & Twist). The rooms are very comfortable with a fire place. Breakfast was great, cooked by an experienced Culinary Chef . We had a private chef dinner, which was excellent. We did not know what to expect from the dinner but in the end we were so pleased. It was worth every penny. As for the staff, they were personable and very helpful. They told us about a popular restaurant located in Hyde Park in a small strip mall. Again, did not know what to expect but everything tasted great. It had a lot of comfort foods. With out the help of the staff we would have ended up at Applebee’s. Over all Le Petit Chateau Inn was a great experience. The only down fall was not enough time spend in the Hudson Valley! Also we should have brought out door shoes to full enjoy the property.

• Liked — The food most of all. also slippers robes and fire place
  • Disliked — Non wood burning fire place
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
upstate New Yok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2007

What a delightful get-away with so many sights to see within 10 -15 miles. The chateau is warm and comfy...lovely fire to relax by in the livingroom. We went ice skating on the pond right on the premises.
I have been to many wine-food pairings on Sunday afternoon and occasionally on a week night. These are educational as well as nice social gatherings...I remember one Sunday Valerie, your hostess, had a gentleman who gave a slide presentation on Argentina and wines produced there {malbec]..excellent! This was followed by an Argentine Tango demonstration and of course appropriate food/wine samplings. What a delightful way to spend a Sunday afternoon!
It has been a pleasure getting to know some of the future chefs from the CIA who have cooked for us. I highly recommend spending a night or two at Le Petit Chateau Inn!!!

Donna from New York

Stayed January 2007
Corpus Christi, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2007

This B & B was overpriced, under maintained, and full of what looks like garage sale furniture, plates, glasses, and everything else in the house. The living room rattan couch and table were exact duplicates of my mom's den furniture back in the 1950s! The rest of the living room had a lot mismatched furniture in every style and color. The same went for my bedroom - a hodge-podge of furnishings.

The "bottles of water" in the guest fridge were two old bottles filled with tap water with mismatched guest glasses that looked like they had not been washed in ages.

I was very, very disappointed in this Bed & Breakfast. Perhaps if my $225 "suite" (read slightly oversized room with a day bed in one corner) had been nicely furnished, if the bathroom had not smelled like a nursing home, and the bed had been decent, I might have been halfway happy, but we've stayed in many, many other inns and B&Bs in the Northeast at far less cost with far more in the way of decor, amenities, and charm.

The "pond" was a raised dirt area of murky water with steps up to take a look. Not exactly the peaceful, lovely pond depicted on the website.

Breakfast was nothing to write home about. A very nice 2nd year student prepared it, but maybe he still had not taken the "breakfast" course.

What was so shocking was that the website photos make it look far more inviting and charming than what I found!

Overall, this is the worse stay I've had in 12 years of wandering around the Northeast and being a guest in some wonderful inns and B & Bs.

I agree totally with the comment that the owner charges extremely high prices and does not seem to put one penny back in.

The only plus was the location. With one turn to the right, we could drive right to the Culinary Institute, but that certainly does not make up for the sad state of this B & B.

• Liked — It was close to the Culinary Institute
  • Disliked — Just about everything
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank scubamom
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2007

This place was a big disappointment. We were looking forward to a quaint B/B close to the CIA because our daughter was graduating from the pastry program and they advertised breakfasts by CIA chefs.

Their website made the place look totally cute and charming. We booked the Loire Room for 3 nights because it looked very bright, pretty and large.

Fact #1 - The outside is disastrous. I realize it's in the woods but cobwebs and debris should be swept away daily. Broken hinges and doors should be fixed.

Fact #2 - Sure it's old, but the house smelled terrible, moldy, musty and just plain nasty. Our room was even worse. Bedding smelled dusty and everything needed a good wash. The ice bucket on the mantle had dust and bugs in it. The fresh flowers sat in murky water. Cobwebs hung from the ceiling.

Fact #3 - The kitchen was dirty. Sink needed scrubbing and the refrigerator was filthy. (I know this because I went looking for ice cubes for our beverages late at night.) I wasn't about to eat the breakfasts...

Fact #4 - Didn't eat any of the breakfasts but did see them. Unappealing - consisted of cut fruit, store bought yogurt and 'baked' goods. Since my daughter graduated from the pastry program at the CIA, I know what they can do and this isn't it! Try not to judge the CIA by the food being served at this place. If you want to see what the pastry chefs can do, go to the Apple Pie Bakery on campus.

The place is maintenance challenged. With the fees they charge, they should reinvest some money into fixing the place up, or at the very least, keeping it clean. We stayed our 3 nights because I somehow knew we would end up paying for it anyway and it was, after all, just someplace to sleep.

On the up side, our bath and shower were nice, bed was comfortable, if smelly, and the place has free internet wireless.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the filth
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank weedqueen
Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

I booked this B&B as part of a birthday present for my b/f.I was expecting a romantic evening in a romantic B&B along with dinner at the CIA. Let me say that we have never, ever, ever walked out of a place. We don't consider ourselves "high maintenance" but instead like to get what we pay for. We've stayed in cheap guest houses in SEA, Central America, Africa etc for $10 a night and had suites at some fantastic hotels.

THE OUTSIDE
As we were pulling into the driveway, my b/f said "did you check this place out first". He asked because the outside wasn't in good shape. The grass/weeds in the lawn needed to be cut, the outside of the house is in need of painting and repair. Not a good first impression of the place.

BEING GREETED
Upon entering, the owner was on her cell phone and stuck her finger up in the air telling us to be quiet. Not the best way to be greeted by our host.

THE ROOM
The room was small. The fireplace wasn't working despite many attempts by her to start it. There were 2 windows in the room, covered in curtains, which looked out onto the "pond". The closet was large but was also a makeshift storage center with boxes and things in it. The room was "ok". It certainly wasn't a $185 room by any means. If the room cost $75 and we were simply looking for a place to sleep, it would have been fine. I picked the room for the "views of the sunset and sunrise over the pond". I wouldn't want to venture near the pond as I'm sure the stagnant, murky water was infested with mosquitos. It certainly wasn't romantic. Given the location of the windows, I don't see how you could view sunset & sunrise.

WALKING OUT
My b/f and I walked out to the car to get our luggage and discussed the situation. We decided to try our luck elsewhere so we went back inside the house in search of the owner. It took us 10 minutes to find her - she had wandered off and was no where to be seen. She was quite gracioius in us cancelling. She explained we were the first ones to walk out and how many people from Manhattan stayed in her B&B and never had any complaints. I ignorantly assumed we wouldn't be charged for the night. I was shocked to see the full charge of the room on my credit card statement this morning.

BTW - we ended staying in the most fantasic B&B that night - WhistleWood Horse Farm Bed & Breakfast about 15 minutes away in Rhinebeck. (---)Romantic, fantastic views, a genuine and friendly host, delicious breakfast. It was just what we were looking for.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie
Days Inn Poughkeepsie
Days Inn Poughkeepsie
#7 of 13 in Poughkeepsie

Been to Le Petit Chateau Inn? Share your experiences!