“Very nice bed and breakfast” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast

Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 6 Hyde Park B&B and Inns
Wilmington, DE
“Very nice bed and breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I visited Hyde Park last weekend to take a class at CIA and to visit the historic sites in the area. I'm not a big fan of B&B's because it makes me feel as though I'm staying with my in-laws -- lack of true privacy. However, despite my distaste for B&B's, I would recommend Journey Inn for a few reasons. For one, the Inn is immaculately clean and the Innkeepers do a great job keeping it maintained while there. Secondly, the Inn's location in relation to the Hyde Park attractions is excellent -- with the Vanderbilt Estate directly across the street and the other sites very close in proximity. Last and maybe most importantly, the Innkeepers are wonderful hosts. They are engaged with the guests but not intrusive; they do a really good job providing suggestions and tips for the area. They also made a wonderful poached pear dish for breakfast and were also nice enough to bring my wife a gluten-free muffin. The coffee is great too (strong). For guys: don't know if this is true of most B&B's but no TV can be found here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank prev1
jinn97, Owner at Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you so much for such a wonderful review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will try other B&B’s…..you might be surprised on how far this industry has changed and evolved over the years. We do wish to clarify that we have 3 rooms with a TV plus a communal TV in The Morning Room, for all of the guests to use. We were amazed at how much you packed into your stay…..the CIA day class followed by touring some of the sites, we were very impressed. We wish you a Happy Spring and hope we have the chance to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Central NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We can only echo what others have said but those looking for reviews are always looking for the most current reviews so here is ours.
First - "location, location, location" - can't be beat. We easily went from Vanderbilt Mansion to FDR's home, to Val-Kill, to Rhinebeck, Culinary Inst. of America and great restaurants. Our hostesses were friendly and inviting and always informative and helpful. The atmosphere was very much "mi casa, su casa". Rules and regulations for this Inn were clearly expressed in a pleasant way and made for smooth sailing throughout the visit. We enjoyed talking with other guests at breakfast the first morning but also enjoyed being the only guests our last night with our fellow traveling companions. We got in our pajamas and felt right at home watching the Oscars in the livingroom where the t.v. was.
We would have liked to put our things in a dresser in our room but the few drawers in the room already had things in them.
We rate this B&B a 10 and would easily recommend it to anyone looking to stay in this area for any reason.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank rokamabe
jinn97, Owner at Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
We so appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts & comments. Guests will often ask what we like most about being innkeepers and our response is always the same…….it’s the guests! For where else could we meet so many different & interesting people. To be able to welcome new and returning guests is the definite highlight and it is also so much fun.
On another note, an oops and our apologies for not leaving you enough space for your clothing in your bureau, we are so sorry that we forgot to move the linens.
We look forward to your return to the Hudson Valley, and as you said, you need to experience it in another season. Thank you again.
Owings Mills, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Besides the location being excellent (directly across from the Vanderbilt Mansion and conveniently located to several other attractions) the inn keepers were incredibly welcoming and knowledgeable. Before we even arrived, they gave us suggestions for activities which allowed us to buy tickets ahead of time and plan to see certain things. The B&B itself was very clean, and I feel that the description and pictures did it justice. I do agree that at times a little noise could be heard from other guests/normal 'house noises', but nothing too bad-- I expect a little of this when staying in a B&B. I've stayed in hotels with worse noise problems. The breakfast was very good, although for those who may have dietary restrictions or are "picky eaters" you may be left a little unsatisfied. Overall though we had a fantastic visit and stay and would recommend this B&B. The hospitality, cleanliness and location outweigh and 'mini-negatives' we encountered.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jinn97, Owner at Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Happy New Year to you and what a lovely way to start the New Year! Thank you for your kind words. We are glad you enjoyed your stay not only with us but with the Hudson Valley. The Hudson Valley is remarkable no matter the season. We appreciate and thank you for your comments. We might add that we do not see them as “mini-negatives” but has valued input. We will take them under advisement to see how we might be able to make some adjustments/changes over the next several months.
Williamsville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for three nights two weeks ago. All things considered, this is not a bad place to stay. The pros - cleanliness, location, wonderfully nice hosts. The cons - temperature control, acoustics, breakfast. Simply put, the location could not be better. As other reviewers have noted, it is directly across from the Vaderbilt National Historic Site, and only a few miles from the Culinary Institue, FDR National Historic Site, and Val-Kill. Our room and the common areas were spotlessly clean. The hosts are top notch. If you need assistance with planning your activities, they are absolutely great. I'm one of those, however, who never travels anywhere without having done advance research. We therefore already had our day excursions planned, and we also had all of our dinner reservations made (three nights at different restaurants at the Culinary Institute!) before we arrived in Hyde Park. We stayed in the Outback Room. We thought that would be a great choice as it had not only an ensuite bathroom, but a TV and small refrigerator as well. It is a first floor room. If we return, we would definitely pick a different room. Because the Outback Room is on the first floor, if there are other guests traveling together, as happened when we visited, and they are using the common areas in the evening or early morning, then you will hear every word of their conversation. The room was otherwise comfortable, although a bit too warm for us. There are no individual temperature controls in this room. We closed all of the vents, but the room was still too warm for us to comfortably sleep. As for the breakfasts, you have to realize that this is a B&B and not a restaurant. They make one breakfast each day, served at one time, and everybody eats the same thing. You won't know what's being served until it's actually served. The hosts alter the main breakfast entree with one day being savory, the next sweet. I alerted the hosts upfront to the fact that I am on a no-sugar-added diet. There was no accommodation offered to me on the "sweet" day, so my only option was to have cereal. Gratefully, they did provide an assortment of cereals and juices each day. Still, my experience at other B&Bs is that hosts are often a little more accommodating about special diets. Even having alerted our hosts to my diet, on our second day I was served a fruit course (already plated) with added honey and sweetened yogurt. I would have loved to have had only the beautiful fresh fruit, but I wasn't given that option, so I had to forgo the fruit course altogether. It left me a little disappointed, especially considering the price that we paid.

2 Thank pasbuffalo
jinn97, Owner at Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
When you first arrived, we were impressed at how well organized and efficiently you had planned your visit to the Hudson Valley. You returned every afternoon looking like you were just having a great time.
We find that after all these years we are still learning from our guests. You are correct that as a small B&B we cannot offer the same services as a restaurant, which is why we make every effort when guests are making a reservation to ask about dietary restrictions & allergies. At that time we do explain how we can offer a variety of cereals & granola as substitutions and/or other choices depending on the restriction and we explain that we do serve family style at one time. We hope this allows guests to decide before they make a reservation if what we offer suits their needs, we do understand what we can offer may not be to everyone’s liking.
Somehow we obviously messed up about the fruit course with a dollop of a plain Greek yogurt sauce for which we do apologize.
We do wish we had known of the heating issue, as we could have made adjustments to make it more comfortable for you. We regret you were uncomfortable. There is nothing more bothersome then being too hot or too cold.
As well organized as you are, there is still so much more for you to explore in the Hudson Valley and we look forward to seeing the both of you again.
We wish you a most Merry Christmas and an exciting New Year!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I surprised my girlfriend with a weekend trip to Hyde Park, and we stayed at the Journey Inn at the recommendation of this site as well as Yelp. We enjoyed the gourmet breakfasts and warm hospitality. We both liked the Tuscany Room, but upon a return visit would probably like to try a different room for variety. All the living spaces seemed very clean and organized. The ground floor common areas have a ton of books and magazines, games, and a great breakfast room. We also appreciated having tea, drinks and cookies available at night since we arrived late. I liked having breakfast at one large table with the other guests. The location is great, very close to FDR House, Val-kill and the Vanderbilt mansion, and not far from local wineries (check out Millbrook), and other quaint towns such as Rhinebeck. I have already recommended Journey Inn to others and would stay here again if I return to Hyde Park.

1 Thank jdr1985
jinn97, Owner at Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Your girlfriend seemed so thrilled with your planned surprise get away, you should be very happy with yourself! This time of year, more of our guests will take advantage of our public spaces and it was so nice seeing the both of you so relaxed and enjoying them. We are glad you enjoyed sitting around our breakfast table, isn’t it amazing how total strangers can engage in such lively breakfast conversations? We appreciate recommending us to follow travelers and we look forward to seeing you both again. We wish you a most bountiful Thanksgiving!
New York, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Where do I start here? I can't say enough good things about this place. It is owned by two sisters who put every bit of sweat into making you feel welcome, the rooms clean and comfortable and the place feeling like home. My girlfriend and I were greeted at the door and shown around the place by the very lovely owners who were just nice in every way. When we walked in, the place was spotless, from top to bottom and it pretty much stayed that way all weekend. We stayed in the Vanderbilt Suite, which was great to spread for spreading out our stuff (or if there's more than two of you), impeccably clean and had an unbelievably comfortable double bed with the softest pillows and the highest thread count sheets I could imagine. It is also not next to any other rooms so we didn't hear anything but the trains at night and those don't bother me. It has its own bathroom too that you don't have to walk across the hall to enter. The two sisters give you very personalized service to everyone, bend over backwards to make sure you're comfortable and are extremely helpful in telling you about things to do in the area, shopping and restaurants. There is always coffee and tea available and delicious homemade cookies too! Each morning you get a different, home cooked breakfast - no store bought foods here and they serve you one course, and the rest is buffet style. If only I could eat like that every morning! Just remember, this isn't a hotel, and it is a smaller B&B with specific rules about when you can check in and out, make payment and eat breakfast (always at the same time), so be prepared to adjust your routine somewhat if you're the type that sleeps in late every day (not a criticism, just an observation). Considering its location, the level of personalized service you get, the unbelievable breakfasts and how nice the rooms are, the price is about right. If you go to Hyde Park, stay here at least one time instead of the many run-of-the-mill hotels in the area - you'll be glad you did!

Room Tip: I liked the Vanderbilt Suite because it is not next to any other room, and I can be rather sensitive...
1 Thank caj111
After reading your review, we asked the same question…”where do we start?” Thank you for taking your time to share with others about your stay with us. Even after all these years as innkeepers, it is still always interesting to see what truly is important to guests. We have always believed that you must first start with clean and then all else will follow. We will make sure we convey to our cleaning help your appreciation of their hard work.
A 7 room B&B is a good size to be able to give attention to all of our guests but at the same time it also affords our guests privacy between the 2 large and comfortable public places.
We never know who we will be welcoming through our front door, this time it was you when we opened the door…and what a wonderful time we had meeting the both of you! Happy Thanksgiving
Greetham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed here with friends for two nights recently and loved it. Our hosts were extremely welcoming and informative, and Hyde Park was a really interesting place to stay. My only quibble was that our bathroom, while large and with a full bath as well as a shower, was not ensuite but across the corridor. It was not a major problem but unusual in a B&B of this high calibre. However we really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this B&B to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Walkinggranny
jinn97, Owner at Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
We couldn’t agree more that Hyde Park is the place to stay….. not that we are biased in any way! The four of you were full of enthusiasm and took full advantage of your time in our area; no moss grew under your feet. Please accept our apology for any discomfort you experienced, had we known of your desire for an ensuite bath with a tub, we would have offered you The Outback Room. We look forward to seeing all of you again, there is so much more for you to discover.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyde Park
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn & Suites At the Falls
Hampton Inn Kingston
Hampton Inn Kingston
#1 of 10 in Kingston

Been to Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!