“A Great School and an Equally Great Restaurant”

The Culinary Institute of America
Ranked #1 of 2 Food & Drink in Hyde Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Come and enjoy our award-winning restaurants and cafes, retail stores, and public tours. Learn how CIA students prepare for exciting careers in food. See how everything we do supports our mission of providing the world's best professional culinary education.
Long Island, New York
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“A Great School and an Equally Great Restaurant”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park NY provides a top notch education for students wishing to enter the food and beverage industry. An integral part of their curriculum is an on site opportunity to "work" at one of three restaurants: American fare, French and Italian. We chose the Italian named Caterina di Medici. Dining room tables require an advanced reservation; however, we learned that the less formal dining area near the bar generally has room for walk ins. Students serve, work in the kitchen, work as greeters and managers in training and generally do everything that is expected of working in/owning a restaurant. They can choose one of two career paths: a two year Associate Program with a concentration in food services or a four year program with a combination food services and academic component. The food is essentially a tasting menu: today's was all pasta (home made). The pasta day is not for the feint of heart nor is it for the weak of heart since cheeses are an essential part of this menu. Lunch included six courses, five pastas and desert. One glass of wine is included. It is price fixed and includes a gratuity. Ditto dinner. This is a trip worth making for a number of reasons: the food is excellent, the service is impeccable (after all, everyone is getting graded by the on site professor/manager an absolutely delightful gentleman!) and Hyde Park is a lovely community with a number of sites worth visiting. It's also a quick twenty minute ride from the charming village of Rhinebeck, home of America's oldest INN, but that's a story for another time!

USAFret
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“An outstanding dining experience”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had eaten at the old Escoffier many times and was disappointed to hear it was being closed. The new French restaurant does not miss a beat. The decor is new, less formal with red leather place mats instead of table cloths. It is nice but I liked the old look better but that is a minor point. Most importantly the service and food are still outstanding. Everything we ordered was perfectly prepared and presented. The student staff was excellent as usual. The ice cream dessert prepared table side with liquid nitrogen is not to be missed. While all the restaurants at the Institute are excellent the new French entry neatly replaces the Escoffier as my favorite.

Long Island, NY
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great dining experience”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

This place is fantastic in many ways. The food was delicious...well prepared and beautifully presented. The place itself is beautiful. The staff was polite, competent and very enthusiastic about their job. I would definitely recommend the CIA T Hyde PRk. A great experience!

New York
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“The Bocuse - New at the Culinary and Amazing!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I've lived near the Culinary Institute of America my whole life but never visited, partly due to being slightly intimidated by the atomosphere and partly due to the expensive nature of the restaurants. But I received a very generous gift card for my birthday and finally got to experience this amazing place! It can be very difficult to get a reservation for a Friday or Saturday, literally needing months of advance planning. However, I was able to secure a lunch reservation at the Bocuse with only three weeks' notice as I lucked out and made the reservation before they had actually opened. I will be the first to admit that my husband and I have never eaten in a French restaurant before, nor in such a upscale place. However, I felt welcomed and at ease the moment we stepped inside. The table was impeccable - the restaurant itself beautiful and I loved the "amuse" cards on the table - a set of cards with open-ended questions to stimulate the conversation. I choose the green bean and portabella mushroom salad appetizer, which was a delightful marriage of taste and texture. My husband had the lobster bisque to start, good but basic. The wine and cocktail list was presented to us on an ipad, which was slightly confusing for me, and I imagine even more difficult for some. I chose an absinthe cocktail, as I never had one before and found it to be very interesting. My husband's Pinor Noir was adequate. This is one area that I felt suffered slightly in that we were seated over 15 minutes before being offered a drink, other than a choice of water. So we sat for 15 minutes with bread and water. I would have preferred bread and a drink, and when the wine did arrive, the student server was noticeably nervous, as her hands shook as she poured the drink. Also, another student server dropped a metal serving tray not once, but twice! Very loud and startling to the poor customer who happened to be right next to it as it clanged about the floor. I understand that the servers are students and honestly, their nervousness actually made me more comfortable! On to the main course. My husband had the filet mignon, which was perfect. I had the lobster with vermouth ragout, also amazingly tasty, although I did bite into two small bits of shell in the lobster and had to graciously fish them out (pun intended). Again, I would have preferred a second drink with my meal, but it was not offered nor did there seem to be an appropriate time to inquire. The servers were quite busy but gracious and polite at all times, just nervous! We finished with desserts. My husband got the "chocolate bar" which was as much a beautiful piece of art as it was delicious and my Mont Blanc was served in a most interesting manner! We finished with a small pot of tea and small pot of coffee. The coffee was by far, the best coffee, ever. Overall, we really enjoyed the experience and I would not hesitate to recommend the Bocuse highly. Just be sure to make reservations really far in advance and be prepared to spend about $100 for lunch for two. Totally worth it, especially if for a special occasion.

2 Thank ayla912
Meriden, Connecticut
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Bocuse, the newest restaurant at the CIA is equally as good as the former Escofier .”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

What a change from the Escofier... So modern and full of light. The wall was taken down between the dining rooms which makes for a lovely openness. The kitchen was enlarged and the floor made even with the seating floor, making a less hazardous passage for the servers. The food was just as we expected- wonderful. Both the duck and the filet were delicious and cooked perfectly. The ice cream desert, made table side, with the bite size pastries was very nice but almost too much. We suggest having either an appetizer or desert. The suggested wine was lovely with the duck. We'll be back. It's quite pricey but worth it for a special occasion.

Visited February 2013

Been to The Culinary Institute of America? Share your experiences!