“A nice place to have a Valentine's Day dinner”
Review of Joseph's Steakhouse - CLOSED

Joseph's Steakhouse
Cuisines: German, Italian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Creek Road
Transit: Dutchess
Description: Joseph's Steakhouse is minutes from Culinary, Marist and Vassar College. Located next to Val-Kill. Eleanor Roosevelt's National Site in Historic Hyde Park and minutes from FDR Library. Joseph's Italian Steakhouse was once part of Val-Kill and was called Val-Kill Station. Val-Kill Station from 1933 to 1949 servered as a Tea Room restaurant serving a Tea Luncheon to Royal families & travlers visting the Roosevelts. Besides our great steaks and seafood, Joseph Steakhouse still continues the tea luncheon tradition by reservation only in the tea room. Available daily for Groups of 25 or more. Private room for catering.
Reviewed February 15, 2017

I wanted to take my wife somewhere new for Valentine's Day, and reviews here pointe me to Joseph's Steakhouse; I was not disappointed. Parking was a bit dicey due to the recent snowfalls but there was more than enough across the street that provided easy access to the entrance.

We were seated a few minutes after arrival. Service wasn't the fastest, but was suitable for us since we had nothing else planned and were not in a hurry. My wife's meal consisted of a iceberg wedge salad, slice steak and shrimp Oscar, and a chocolate tartufo which were all delicious, according to her. I started with the mac and cheese lobster fritter, slice sirloin steak bordelaise, and the peanut butter explosion dessert, which was one of the combinations available on their $29.95 February special. My entree was delightful- very flavorful and thoroughly enjoyable. Throw in two sodas and a coffee, tax, and tip, and the total of $102.45 compares favorably with similar meals at the steakhouses in NYC. Definitely a nice go-to place a little off the beaten path (Route 9G instead of the main route 9).

1  Thank tektektek
Joseph's S, Owner at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2017

Thank you for the wonderful review and next time we are not so busy we can really give a lot more personal attention. Look for our new Menu coming out this weekend. Some amazing new Italian dishes. Again thank you Joseph

Reviewed February 6, 2017

14 of us went to Josephs for a private celebration and sat quietly in the catering hall, if you met my family, a separate room is needed.. let me say there were a few who were worried on the selections. Well, BAM! We had choices of sooo many options (lets see 8 oz filets (the preferred by many) done perfectly, rib eye that melts in your mouth, sliced steak and shrimp Oscar wow, eggplant stackers that my lil neice devoured. even the chicken nuggets were the bomb for the lil guy...House salad always a delight, appetizers specially made for our crew, delightful and can"t tell you.. Oops forgot about the flowing martinis and great reds we enjoyed before dinner and definitely during, we wont talk about the bar bill..thanks Bro! Joseph hats off to a very enjoyable and well put together experience.. see ya soon!

1  Thank Paul E
Reviewed January 19, 2017

The waitress was pleasant and personable. The onion soup was good, not overly salty as it can sometimes be and the salad fresh as one can get for the middle of the winter. The cheese steak was good. Not something one would rave about, but good. The disappointment was the rubbery, overdone lobster and the totally dry, with a slightly burnt after taste, chips. The overcooked food on a slow afternoon is something I would expect on a bad night at a diner, not so at a higher price steakhouse. It has been many years since the last visit and I recall an enjoyable evening. Not that the visit was bad, mostly because of the staff being friendly. The visit was like the chips, I left with a bad taste in my mouth. Disappointing, particularly because of the price.

4  Thank Buddy N
Reviewed December 29, 2016

Went on a week night over Christmas break as we were traveling through the area. Decided on Joseph's and were quite pleased with the experience.
Festive casual elegance. Quaint cozy meal in what we learned was Eleanor Roosevelt's "Tea Room".
Our server was pleasant and attentive, but not hovering. Joseph himself was friendly and engaging and went from table to table chatting with other tables. Once again, not overdone.
We started the meal with sharing the baked clams (4)- very tasteful, usually don't order them for that reason, but these were good.
Soup or salad comes with the entrees, we both enjoyed the salad, pre-dressed but just right.
I had the sliced steak and shrimp Oscar. It came with stringbeans and I requested the rice pilaf. All were very flavorful-beans crisp but cooked and fresh, rice- fluffy, not sticky-
the steak itself cooked as I ordered it, med-rare-tender hot and tasty. and the shrimp Oscar was perfect- fresh and plump and the hollandaise sauce was not overpowering.
My husband ordered steak bordelaise with a baked potatoe-same thing. cooked medium as ordered and everything was hot and fresh.
Great peanut butter chocolate dessert was well.
Very enjoyable, would highly recommend.
If we were going to be in the area for New Year's Eve, I would definitely book-looks like the entertainment will also be good that night.

2  Thank Topics4me
Joseph's S, Owner at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2017

Nice review and sorry for not responding earlier. Hope to see you soon and we just add a whole new section of Italian dishes to our menu that you will enjoy along with a great steak. Again thank you Joseph

Reviewed November 19, 2016

Went to this restaurant to enjoy an evening out with the wife, I always pass this on my way around town so I thought I'd give it a try.

The Good:
The service was excellent. Our waitress was always there at the perfect time during the course of the whole meal. Asking us for refills on our drinks along with the bread basket. She was very attentive and got our order right.
Food was excellent. Our orders took a while but when they came out they were pipping hot and perfect. I had the Filet Mignon while my wife had the lobster tail. Yummy. The sides where made perfect!

Costs: A bit on the higher end, but I must stress the food was outstanding.

Improvement needed:
The service, while excellent was a bit slow. Again I want to highlight that the waitress was excellent. If you have time, which we did, worth the wait.
Kids menu: I didn't see one, this time it was just my wife and I, but didn't see many kids or a kids menu. I think it would be a nice place to go with the kids, once in a while.

Would I go again: Yes. Food was and service was excellent.

1  Thank macunitny2000