“If you have time ... this is the place for you”
Review of Joseph's Steakhouse - CLOSED

Joseph's Steakhouse
Cuisines: German, Italian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Creek Road
Transit: Dutchess
Description: Joseph's Steakhouse is minutes from Culinary, Marist and Vassar College. Located next to Val-Kill. Eleanor Roosevelt's National Site in Historic Hyde Park and minutes from FDR Library. Joseph's Italian Steakhouse was once part of Val-Kill and was called Val-Kill Station. Val-Kill Station from 1933 to 1949 servered as a Tea Room restaurant serving a Tea Luncheon to Royal families & travlers visting the Roosevelts. Besides our great steaks and seafood, Joseph Steakhouse still continues the tea luncheon tradition by reservation only in the tea room. Available daily for Groups of 25 or more. Private room for catering.
Reviewed November 19, 2016

Went to this restaurant to enjoy an evening out with the wife, I always pass this on my way around town so I thought I'd give it a try.

The Good:
The service was excellent. Our waitress was always there at the perfect time during the course of the whole meal. Asking us for refills on our drinks along with the bread basket. She was very attentive and got our order right.
Food was excellent. Our orders took a while but when they came out they were pipping hot and perfect. I had the Filet Mignon while my wife had the lobster tail. Yummy. The sides where made perfect!

Costs: A bit on the higher end, but I must stress the food was outstanding.

Improvement needed:
The service, while excellent was a bit slow. Again I want to highlight that the waitress was excellent. If you have time, which we did, worth the wait.
Kids menu: I didn't see one, this time it was just my wife and I, but didn't see many kids or a kids menu. I think it would be a nice place to go with the kids, once in a while.

Would I go again: Yes. Food was and service was excellent.

1  Thank macunitny2000

Reviewed November 11, 2016

Seven of us went for dinner, unfortunately they had some banquet going at the same time in the back room, and I think they forgot to staff the rest of the place well enough. Service was pretty slow. Food was average, I asked for an end cut on the prime rib, the waiter came out to tell me no end cuts, when he should have been bringing us our meals. I don't know, maybe if they have enough help and better service it would rate a bit better, but I am not going to drive across the county again for this one.

2  Thank NYTriper
Reviewed November 11, 2016

Before a trip to Hyde Park, I checked out area restaurants that were participating in Hudson Valley Restaurant Week. I was curious about Joseph's Steakhouse but when GPS led us to it, I thought there had been a mistake. We went up to the door thinking we could take a peek and decide whether to enter. We entered and did not regret the evening. Their Restaurant Week's offerings were excellent. The atmosphere is kind of elegant casual and a separate room is like a shrine to Sinatra and friends. Our server was friendly and efficient but a bit overwhelmed. She was the only one on duty for what probably should have been a quiet Monday evening. We both had steaks (a rarity for us) and the meal was excellent. It's too bad the meal ended on a sour note - the apple crisp was, in a word, horrible and my wife could not get get her tea bag to produce anything close to tea in appearance. Overall, though, we were pleased with the experience and would recommend Joseph's (just don't order tea or have apple crisp if it's on the menu).

Reviewed November 8, 2016 via mobile

Just went Friday for Restaurant Week - they were out of prime rib so I ended up getting upgraded to a 14 oz ribeye, which was hands down one of the best steaks I've ever had! The mussels and amaretto ice cream were delicious too! My friends and I absolutely loved our experience there - from the food to the ambience to the very friendly and attentive waitstaff. I'd highly recommend Joseph's!

Reviewed October 17, 2016 via mobile

Location is an old roadhouse on 9G, just around the corner from Eleanor Roosevelt's post-World War II Cottage. Building is not that much to look at but the inside is simple, clean and cozy. Food was very good although some steaks can be pricey; always order medium rare, as it continues to cook on hot metal plating. Choice of fresh cut or dry aged angus steaks. House salad and specials are good as well, but appetizers need some work. You will probably be full after 3 courses, so you may have another meal in hand when you leave...service could be faster esp. on a slower Sunday night. Recommend the baby asparagus side order; it is great with steak! The manager made it a point to talk with each table.

1  Thank Timothy S