“Nice place for dinner, nothing special though.”
Review of Joseph's Steakhouse - CLOSED

Joseph's Steakhouse
Cuisines: German, Italian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Creek Road
Transit: Dutchess
Description: Joseph's Steakhouse is minutes from Culinary, Marist and Vassar College. Located next to Val-Kill. Eleanor Roosevelt's National Site in Historic Hyde Park and minutes from FDR Library. Joseph's Italian Steakhouse was once part of Val-Kill and was called Val-Kill Station. Val-Kill Station from 1933 to 1949 servered as a Tea Room restaurant serving a Tea Luncheon to Royal families & travlers visting the Roosevelts. Besides our great steaks and seafood, Joseph Steakhouse still continues the tea luncheon tradition by reservation only in the tea room. Available daily for Groups of 25 or more. Private room for catering.
Reviewed November 11, 2016

Seven of us went for dinner, unfortunately they had some banquet going at the same time in the back room, and I think they forgot to staff the rest of the place well enough. Service was pretty slow. Food was average, I asked for an end cut on the prime rib, the waiter came out to tell me no end cuts, when he should have been bringing us our meals. I don't know, maybe if they have enough help and better service it would rate a bit better, but I am not going to drive across the county again for this one.

2  Thank NYTriper

Reviewed November 11, 2016

Before a trip to Hyde Park, I checked out area restaurants that were participating in Hudson Valley Restaurant Week. I was curious about Joseph's Steakhouse but when GPS led us to it, I thought there had been a mistake. We went up to the door thinking we could take a peek and decide whether to enter. We entered and did not regret the evening. Their Restaurant Week's offerings were excellent. The atmosphere is kind of elegant casual and a separate room is like a shrine to Sinatra and friends. Our server was friendly and efficient but a bit overwhelmed. She was the only one on duty for what probably should have been a quiet Monday evening. We both had steaks (a rarity for us) and the meal was excellent. It's too bad the meal ended on a sour note - the apple crisp was, in a word, horrible and my wife could not get get her tea bag to produce anything close to tea in appearance. Overall, though, we were pleased with the experience and would recommend Joseph's (just don't order tea or have apple crisp if it's on the menu).

Reviewed November 8, 2016 via mobile

Just went Friday for Restaurant Week - they were out of prime rib so I ended up getting upgraded to a 14 oz ribeye, which was hands down one of the best steaks I've ever had! The mussels and amaretto ice cream were delicious too! My friends and I absolutely loved our experience there - from the food to the ambience to the very friendly and attentive waitstaff. I'd highly recommend Joseph's!

Reviewed October 17, 2016 via mobile

Location is an old roadhouse on 9G, just around the corner from Eleanor Roosevelt's post-World War II Cottage. Building is not that much to look at but the inside is simple, clean and cozy. Food was very good although some steaks can be pricey; always order medium rare, as it continues to cook on hot metal plating. Choice of fresh cut or dry aged angus steaks. House salad and specials are good as well, but appetizers need some work. You will probably be full after 3 courses, so you may have another meal in hand when you leave...service could be faster esp. on a slower Sunday night. Recommend the baby asparagus side order; it is great with steak! The manager made it a point to talk with each table.

1  Thank Timothy S
Reviewed October 16, 2016

We enjoyed dinner at Joseph's after a day of touring in the area. The service was very good and the owner very pleasant and accommodating. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. The ribeye bone-in steak was cooked perfectly and the eggplant parmigiana appetizer was enough for a meal in itself. Salads were also very good. Everyone in our group enjoyed their meal choices.