“Terrible food”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Creek Road
Transit: Dutchess
Description: Joseph's Steakhouse is minutes from Culinary, Marist and Vassar College. Located next to Val-Kill. Eleanor Roosevelt's National Site in Historic Hyde Park and minutes from FDR Library. Joseph's Italian Steakhouse was once part of Val-Kill and was called Val-Kill Station. Val-Kill Station from 1933 to 1949 servered as a Tea Room restaurant serving a Tea Luncheon to Royal families & travlers visting the Roosevelts. Besides our great steaks and seafood, Joseph Steakhouse still continues the tea luncheon tradition by reservation only in the tea room. Available daily for Groups of 25 or more. Private room for catering.
Hyde Park, New York
“Terrible food”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Let's see, where do I start. Salads! Gritty. Asparagus! Gritty. Chicken dry and way over cooked and probably IQF. The other guests at our table had beef and they all thought it was tough and flavorless. This is too bad as we are residents of Hyde Park and we so want to have a good restaurant to which we can return, week after week. Joseph's is not that restaurant. In fact, I am surprised it is still open.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank degarden_girl
Joseph's S, Manager at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
I take a lot of pride in our food. Not to sure this review is from a real customer. The day of your visit was August of 2013 and you send this on March 2014. Something is a little fishy, but you said, that you had dry chicken. The only chicken dish we have is Chicken Marsala and no way you got that dry. Gritty salad! Are you kidding me, our salad is a fresh mixed greens, cucumbers, tomato and cranberries with housemade dressings. I stand behind all of our food and the services. Anyone that has eaten at Joseph's will never get the food and services that you contenting.

Hyde Park, New York
“Disappointed in the steak, everything else was good”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I had been looking forward to trying this steakhouse and treating my bf to a nice meal out. We ordered drinks and a calamari appetizer. The calamari was excellent. For steak I ordered the rib eye. The flavor was good, it was juicy, and not overcooked, but... it was not the best cut of meat and had some toughness to it. I expected better. For this reason I am rating this restaurant average as being a steakhouse, the steak should have been better.
The service was great and everything else very good. I see other ratings were excellent so maybe we just hit an off night but being expensive we won't be returning anytime soon.

2 Thank kayaker332
Joseph's S, Owner at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
The flavor was good, it was juicy, not over cooked but you were disappointed. All of our steaks are good and juicy but our dry aged steaks are what you need to try if you want that something special. The dry age a bone in Rib Eye, NY Strip and Porterhouse that are all outstanding. In fact the dry aged Porterhouse or Bone in Rib Eye For Two is a great value also. But what ever you have we do not want anyone leaving Joseph's disappointed. I take a lot of pride in the quality of our steaks. Everything from our Burgers, Prime Rib and Steaks our of Certified Angus Beef. Only 8% of all angus beef meet the requirements to be certified. We probably are the only Steakhouse or restaurant in the county that uses 100% cerified angus beef. When you read our great reviews about the best steak ever, that is how we want you to feel when you leave. You stop by and see me and I will give you a gift card to try another steak in the near future.

Joseph
Hyde Park, NY
“Disappointed”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We must have been there on an off night as our steaks were not what we expected, especially after reading all the positive reviews. It was a very dreary night that we went so there were only another table or two occupied. Therefore the service was spot on. The calamari appetizer was excellent and filling. But the main reason for the visit was a steak that was supposed to be out of this world (according to the other reviews). Well my T-bone did not fit into that category. It was actually one of the worst steaks I ever had, dry and absolutely tasteless. It was cooked medium rare as I requested but no juice whatsoever. I have prepared much better with a supermarket cut on my grill (for a lot less money). Since this was a special occasion it made the experience that much more disappointing. As a consolation, the dog thought it was great.

3 Thank vette1979
I am glad someone enjoyed your T bone but sorry you did not. We cut that steak to order and should not be dry or tasteless. The t bone is cut off the short loin and is mostly sirloin with a lot of flavor. We also dry aged this steak and it is usually very favorful. If you ever do come back and what ever steak is not to you liking please give us the opportunity to give you something that is to our liking. I will still give you something for you dog.
Gardner, Massachusetts, United States
“Josephs”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were in the area after Christmas. I had to come here for the aged steak. I am glad that I did. I saw a bad review and I saw the owner’s response and thought it was great. This made me come and see the place for myself. The steak and all the food was great I would tell you to go here. We went late and looked like they might have been closing but mike the manager told me not to worry come on in. He waited on us and even suggested some food items in the area for us to try once he knew how much we loved food. I had a great steak and potato. The desserts where good too. Go and see it for yourself

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank maryjo94
Hopewell Junction, New York
“Amazing!”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I came here for my birthday dinner and I had the 12 oz. filet. It was the best steak I've ever had. The service was great and the owner was so nice and friendly. This is now my favorite restaurant and I will be back very soon

2 Thank Samanthhaaa
Joseph's S, Owner at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for the amazing review. It is reviews and customers like you that has made Joseph's, the #1 restaurant in Hyde Park. We are hoping that once you have a steak or prime rib at Joseph's it will be hard to enjoy a steak any were else. So glad you enjoyed Joseph's.