“Not Sure the High Prices are Warranted”
Review of Joseph's Steakhouse - CLOSED

Joseph's Steakhouse
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Creek Road
Transit: Dutchess
Description: Joseph's Steakhouse is minutes from Culinary, Marist and Vassar College. Located next to Val-Kill. Eleanor Roosevelt's National Site in Historic Hyde Park and minutes from FDR Library. Joseph's Italian Steakhouse was once part of Val-Kill and was called Val-Kill Station. Val-Kill Station from 1933 to 1949 servered as a Tea Room restaurant serving a Tea Luncheon to Royal families & travlers visting the Roosevelts. Besides our great steaks and seafood, Joseph Steakhouse still continues the tea luncheon tradition by reservation only in the tea room. Available daily for Groups of 25 or more. Private room for catering.
East Fishkill, New York
“Not Sure the High Prices are Warranted”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were looking for an excellent local restaurant in which to celebrate our anniversary. We picked Joseph's Steakhouse based on glowing previous reviews. In making our telephone reservation we requested a booth in the main diningroom, something another reviewer had advised, and we were assured we would be accommodated. But when we arrived at the appointed time, we were first shown to a regular table; we mentioned that we had requested a booth (I think there were only two); the reservations book was checked and lo and behold our reservation was not found! Fortunately it was a slow evening, and we were given the requested booth, but not without some discussion. It would have been far more gracious of the staff to immediately sit us there as it was not reserved for any other party, and it was clearly a slow night. Our wait person advised us that, had we made on-line reservations, there were some "perks" to be had, but since we preferred the old fashioned person-to-person telephone conversation, we were not availed of the "perks", whatever they were (it was never fully explained). The irony here is that we thought a telephone reservation would be more reliable than an on-line reservation. In fact we received an e-mail confirmation, as well as a telephone call confirmation a day later. And then our reservation wasn't even in the book??!!

I am not a steak afficianado, and rarely order it in a restaurant. In my opinion it is just a slab of meat, and I would prefer something more interesting when eating out. But I've never had a $65 34-oz. porterhouse steak for two, and fully expected it would exceed any other steak experience I have had. It was good, but was it worth $65? I don't think so, and my companion, who is much more a "steak person", felt the same way. It was just meat, and it wasn't even as tender as I have had in other restaurants with much more reasonable prices. Side dishes are priced extra ($6 for a serving for two). We ordered the sauteed mushrooms and onions which gave the steak the necessary "oomph" to its flavor. At these prices, they could easily be included in the $65 price, or with any of their steaks for that matter! Unfortunately, the owner, Joseph, had just recently gone to Florida, so we were not availed of the interesting history of the building that we read about in other diners' reviews. All in all it was a somewhat disappointing evening. We will not return.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank Sundancekid330
Joseph's S, Owner at Joseph's Steakhouse, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
I am sorry I was not there to give you a little history of our building. I was in Florida for 9 nine days, part pleasure but mostly business. I would hope that when I am not there my customers are greeted and treated as I would. You did sit in the room that was once Eleanor Roosevelt's Tea Room.

We just put in Open Table for reservations. But you are right about you reservation and I also like the good old phone call. The open table and web was put in not to miss a phone call.

You said you were not a steak person and that may be the reason you did not enjoy the quality of the dry aged certified angus porterhouse. As for the price of our Dry Aged 34oz Porterhouse for two, this one of the best buy on the menu. That steak is 25 days dry aged and 34oz after trimming. When we dry aged our signature steaks we increase our cost between trimming and shrinkage about 50 to 60 per cent. If I was a butcher shop I would be sell these cuts for over $20 per pound. Our food cost on these steaks a well above restaurant standards. This steak is $20 to $30 dollars less that most steakhouses. So please do not feel that you did not get a good value.
If you are ever in the area again be sure to try us again and I will make sure you leave with a 5 star rating.
Yours Truly,
Joseph

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Wonderful Find”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I were visiting Hyde Park for the first time for a family wedding. I used Trip Advisor to help find a local restaurant. We found a gem with Joseph's!! Perhaps one of the finest filet's I have had. Joe, the owner was delightful and ready to share all the local history and Michael, our server, made it an exceptional experience. I am sure we will be back to visit family and will always go to Joseph's. You should too!! The food is outstanding especially if you like great beef!

2 Thank MaryBeth7227
sarasota
“Quality steak”
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband I enjoyed dinner last night at Joseph steakhouse. We were very impressed with the quality of the steak that we ordered. The service was also very nice. We will definitely return to enjoy another dinner at Joseph's!

2 Thank ruby29
Highland, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First Time and will NOT be my last”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have heard nothing but good reviews about this place. I recently went their for a work dinner outing and the food was excellent. The dry-aged steak was perfect, cooked brilliantly, and the flavors were mind blowing. Joseph came out to talk with us for awhile and was an extremely class act kind of guy and even gave us a very interesting history lesson about the building (which was very cool). Overall I would highly recommend Joseph's Steakhouse and I will 100% be back very soon.

1 Thank TJ R
Atlanta
“Perfect place for a celebration dinner.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

For my daughter's college graduation, we looked for a dining experience that would be fitting for the occasion. Since we live in Georgia, and had no first hand information about the area restaurants, we chose Joseph's and hoped for the best. The experience was great! We called about a week in advance to make reservations for our group of 10, and were pleasantly surprised to find we had a private space for our celebration. Good, friendly service! The proud owner, Joseph Wilson, visited our celebration, and was very attentive, warm and funny! He gave us the history of the tea house explained the large selection of steaks and their ageing process. We had stuffed baked clams, shrimp cocktail and crab cakes for appetizers that were quite tasty. Our steaks (rib eyes, T-bone and prime rib) were all tender and cooked to perfection! I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who is in the Hyde Park area, wants great food, great service and an overall great time!

• Visited May 2013