“Could eat here every day!”

Apple Pie Bakery Cafe
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Hyde Park
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Apple Pie Bakery Cafe showcases the talents of the CIA's baking and pastry arts students and faculty, and features sumptuous baked goods and cafe cuisine. The full menu is available for takeout or to enjoy in our relaxed, reservation-free dining area. The Apple Pie Bakery Cafe received awards for "Best Desserts" and "Best Lunch Spot" in Hudson Valley Magazine's annual "Best Of The Hudson Valley" awards.
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We had heard about the Culinary Institute of America but were concerned it would be too pricy and formal for us. NOT. The bakery is a cafeteria style. It had a long line up out the door for lunch but we were handed menus to make a selection while still in line and the line moved quickly (about 10 minutes in line). Food is then brought to your table. It was so delicious..including a wonderful dessert and friendly service. Very reasonable price. Atmosphere is busy and noisy so if you want relaxation or romance, this is not for you. We could eat here every day if we lived nearby!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have stopped in this little gem several times for lunch and breakfast pastry and coffee. A couple of days ago I had friends visiting from CA. After we had lunch, we were heading to the FDR Presidential Library when we decided to make a stop for dessert. I had suggested this little gem and had hoped that since it was mid-afternoon it would not be as crowded. They were thrilled with this wonderful little cafe. We all selected different desserts and got a table. The students are the waiters and it is the final part of their studies. The setting cannot be beat. It is located right on the Hudson River and the campus is lovely. The service was very fast. Always an enjoyable stop. They are only open until 5PM but no reservations are required. Sometimes the lines can be long but they do move fairly fast. Stop, you will not be sorry. They only serves soups, sandwiches, pastry's, desserts and drinks... even wine.

1  Thank Marsha C
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stopped in here for a quick bite to eat at lunch time while waiting for our afternoon tour of the Culinary Institute. The pastries available for purchase all looked amazing. Unfortunately, there was a fairly long line, and the staff taking orders and checking people out seemed not to know what they were doing. It took an inordinate amount of time for us to get a little snack. I wouldn't return.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I love to stop by when I am in the Poughkeepsie Area, Open only until 3pm and staff by the students there is always a line to get in. Dont be dismayed it moves quickly. You place your order and pay and then find a table. If you are not taking the food home they will deliver it to your table. There baked goods are amazing. If they have it try their passion fruit doughnuts or their soups. Basically everything is good and the portions are generous.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We visited the CIA because my boss graduated from there and said it was a must see. The views are spectacular and they have a great gift shop. We ate lunch in the Apple Pie Bakery Cafe and one visit is not enough. The food was amazing and reasonably priced. I had the quiche of the day which was as light as a soufflé and twice as tasty, the Hudson Pear Tart was creamy and had layers of amazing flavors. My daughter had the macaroni and cheese and while this is not your mom's mac and cheese it takes comfort food to a whole new level that mom would be jealous of (I am). She had the mudslide cookie and it was the perfect combination of crisp and chewy. They have a menu that I would be happy to work my way through on item at a time. It is not open for dinner so don't miss out by going too late.

1  Thank Mavis M

Been to Apple Pie Bakery Cafe? Share your experiences!