“Interesting experience but the students need more training...”

Apple Pie Bakery Cafe
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Hyde Park
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Apple Pie Bakery Cafe showcases the talents of the CIA's baking and pastry arts students and faculty, and features sumptuous baked goods and cafe cuisine. The full menu is available for takeout or to enjoy in our relaxed, reservation-free dining area. The Apple Pie Bakery Cafe received awards for "Best Desserts" and "Best Lunch Spot" in Hudson Valley Magazine's annual "Best Of The Hudson Valley" awards.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We ate lunch at the Apple Pie Bakery Cafe at the Culinary Institute last week. There was a line which moved fairly quickly and we eagerly waited to order our lunch items, noting the chalkboard list as well as the printed menu. Unfortunately at 2pm (they stay open till 5pm) they were out of several main courses and hadn't erased the chalkboard. We hurriedly ordered what was available at the register and went to a table to await delivery.

Table service was very good; the food was uneven, either excellent or off base. I had the chicken sandwich which had its deliciousness marred by heavy grease on the outside....strange because my husband's grilled cheese was perfectly grilled. Fries were very good as was out daughter's mac and cheese. When we went back to the register to order some dessert items, the person taking orders was rude, untrained in customer service. I spoke to the manager who comped our dessert and added a sandwich.

All in all it was a mixed experience, unexpected in this atmosphere.

1  Thank SusiefromCrucible
There are newer reviews for Apple Pie Bakery Cafe

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We ordered hot sandwiches and their soup special. Attention to detail was found for our simple meal. I was afraid we would not find a seat as it was very crowded, but we was fine.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

What can I say this is a cooking institute so the food should be great, right? We stopped in for a light lunch which you order at the counter and then go to a table; they will bring the food and drinks to you. We even bought pastry for the next day breakfast. The food was great and the service good. I had the Roast Beef Sandwich; on our house-made ciabatta with slow cooked caramelized onions, Emmentaler cheese & horseradish cream, with pickled summer vegetables on the side. $9.95 My spouse had the Truffled Grilled Cheese Sandwich; Grilled Sourdough Bread, Sprout Creek Farms Eden Cheese, Black Truffle Spread, Crispy Speck Ham, served with Kale Chips and a Lemon aioli. $11.95 Free parking is available, just follow the signs to the restaurants after entering the campus grounds.

1  Thank CDM49
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I have been to the Apple Pie Bakery twice now and enjoyed it immensely both times. The food is excellent, the value is very good too. The service was especially good this last visit. After finishing lunch, we decided we wanted to order tea/coffee and dessert. We did not however want to stand on the ever growing line again Before we could ask, the server offered to take our order and payment so we would not have to wait. After a wonderful lunch, we enjoyed a visit to the CIA bookstore and views of the Hudson. It was well worth the trip to Hyde Park.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I visit the Apple Pie Cafe every chance that I can. It is a greatt place to have casual meetings. Beats the local coffee shops, and is part of the Culinary Institute.