“Gilded Age Gem”

and up
Hudson Valley New York Great Estates Pass
Ranked #4 of 21 things to do in Hyde Park
More attraction details
Owner description: This 54-room mansion could be considered modest for a Vanderbilt.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We enjoyed the tour. This house is really a sight to behold, I can't wait to go back when it's warmer to walk around the grounds. The ranger, Mike, had an encyclopedic knowledge of all things Vanderbilt. It was very informative and enjoyable to see a bit of how the Vanderbilt family lived. I will certainly go back.

There are newer reviews for Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site

Reviewed January 25, 2013

The Vanderbilts actually only came here for short periods, but they had an opulent lifestyle, and you get a chance to see some of that here. Tours give a taste of what the servants' lives were like also.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

That's how the other half used to live, or maybe the one percent anyway. It is a wonderful setting and the tours are excellent with good docents.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went up to Poughkeepsie to bring our daughter to MARIST College. While we were up there, we toured the summer "cottage" of the Vanderbilt. Our tour guide Mark from the Parks Department was awesome and the information was really great. The best part? Original furniture! Usually when things are restored, they are missing items. Couches, beds and all were left by the niece when she sold the home for $1.00!!!! to the government. Our guide mentioned a "servant's tour" which shows you how the home worked. I am so looking forward to doing that, but you have to register by calling and they will only accept 20 people. Also- you have to be able to climb 73 steps as the elevator in the home is not stable, so make sure if you have special needs, you will have difficulty.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was my childhood playground. I guess I will never grow up, because I continue to frolic these grounds. Vanderbilt Mansion, is one of the most spectacular mansions, along the Hudson River.