“Stunning place!”

Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Ramah
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

I went there for my birthday/Thanksgiving to volunteer and left healed.
I stayed in a new cabin under sparkling stars so thick they went from horizon to horizon. Lots of forest to meditate on, listen to wolves, feel the quiet and learn about family from. This very nice community is in a sacred area of New Mexico. Its only 2 hours SW of Albuquerque and has many comforts of home there and nearby!
Iam looking forward to a healing center opening up in 2014!

4  Thank hinhankola
in 5 reviews
"volunteers"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and I visited Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary in October 2013 and it was such an amazing experience. When we first arrived, we were able to hear the howling of the wolves, such a chilling yet beautiful sound. We took the guided tour around and were able to see a large amount of animals (wolves, a fox, dingos, singing dogs, along with normal dogs). It was very interesting and we were able to get some good pictures (the animals are all kept behind gates). I would highly recommend that you visit this place. Also, if you can help donate to them. They do amazing work with these wolves and need funding to continue to help these animals. They do not breed them and do not capture them in the wild to show them. This is a true sanctuary.

4  Thank Regina O
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I usually research before I travel and especially look for reputable places where there might be an opportunity for a close up moment with animals. I came across this place also because I have a love of wolves.

The photo tour allowed you to be inside the enclosures of some of the "residents" so I was hooked. The Email back and forth before we got there was prompt and pleasant.

We got there and it was drizzling, but eventually we got started. I highly recommend NOT wearing open shoes and even athletic shoes might get messed up. I had boots with me on purpose.

George and assistant Crystal were kind, encouraging and full of wonderful information. It was clear that they loved their jobs in a way most are not to fortunate to experience. They passionately care about those in their care.

We first went into the home of a wonderful little red fox. He checked us out and then got on his rock, allowing us to take a good picture, then scrambled down among his rocks. It was enchanting.

Eventually we came to Jaeger's place, where we were joined by George's dog and Jaeger's buddy. We sat down on a log and Mr. J came over and started sniffing our heads. We were told he likes hair products !!!! Georgemkeptmchecking to make sure we were okay. Personally, I was in heaven. It was like being leaned on by a very LARGE dog. There was no petting, just the indescribable joy of being so close to such a beautiful creature.

From there we went to be with a timber wolf named Zoerro. This time we were standing against a fence. He came and sniffed and all of a sudden stood up on his legs and put his front paws on my husband 's shoulders. It was a thrilling moment, and Zoerro stayed like that for awhile. My husband put his hands on Zoerro's paws. I was so moved I couldn't take a picture.

I could go on, but needless to say, it was very special. We will never forget our visit.

4  Thank Chiens
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My lady & I were drifting west towards the coast, no real destination in mind. Spent a night in Grants and then took NM 53 to El Malpais and El Morro National Monuments. Just off NM 53 is a route that leads to the Wolf Sanctuary. We don't usually go in for this sort of thing as both love animals and too many of these places are not well run and just exploit the animals. Certainly NOT the case here. The facility is large, run by volunteers who are obviously passionate and well informed about their animals. We took the $7 tour and it was well worth it - longer than I expected actually but we both could have spent even longer just watching these beautiful creatures - wolves and wolf-dogs. Definitely worth it - even if just to listen to the song of the wolves as they howl - beautiful and thriliing

3  Thank Roger61Texas