“Amazing experience”

El Morro National Monument
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Ramah
More attraction details
Owner description: Famous for its 200-foot sandstone bluff, the bottom of the monument contains seven centuries of human inscriptions.
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I visited El Morro in winter... First of all it is far from Albuquerque. Needs a day for whole trip.
It is quite inside and far from highway, but accesible by road.

If you are visiting in winter, make sure you are well covered. Do not forget snacks and water.

After reaching talk to the park ranger and it would be helpful to watch 15 minute video. The video gives appropriate orientation of the place. so one knows what to expect.

The trek itself is 2 miles, but often steep and on uneven ground. So proper shoe wear are must.

Do not rush, instead take it easy and enjoy while it lasts

All in all great views and great insight into history...

1  Thank pvasula

Reviewed December 4, 2013

The beauty of the landscape added to the suggestive form of this rock formation is just the beginning of an awesome experience while visiting this area.
I live not too far, and every time I need to drive to the small city of Grants, I pass right in front of the Monument. As I make it back home again, after the shopping in town, I seem to find enjoyment anew from the view of this unique spot.
Once, when I used to teach arts at a local Native school, I was asked by the administration to paint, along with my students, a mural depicting the "El Morro National Monument" (and surroundings) right along the entrance wall to the main building of the school. Hence, I took my class to visit the place, to have a better idea of its meaning.
We all enjoyed the info provided on site, the hiking to the Anazasi ruins, the visit to the spring-fed pool at the base of the monument. We even saw an eagle fly above it... it was a good omen. Our artistic efforts turned out nicely along our blank wall: in a few weeks the new mural welcomed everyone coming to our school!

1  Thank Francesca Giova... P
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

I absolutely loved hiking El Morro National Monument. Incredible views (take a camera with plenty of battery.. Also great for family photos) and good walking shoes. Take the 2mi trail, you will never regret it. You do have to climb a little but my 4yr old nephew had no problem. It's breath taking to walk atop a sandstone bluff that over looks western New Mexico then to see 7 centuries of explorer inscriptions on the walls is very enlightening. I fell in love with this place in 2012 and every time I travel thru New Mexico I make a point to stop for a few hours and hike here. It's a place you will never forget and a beautiful hidden gem. Also, dog friendly.

2  Thank Amber L
Reviewed November 15, 2013

One of the more laid back gems in the national park system. Moderate hike to the top of El Morro
provides a neat history of this oasis with inscriptions on the rocks from ancient Pueblos to 19th century white settlers and military officers. Nice views and Pueblo ruins when you get to the top. There is also a small campground in a peaceful setting.

1  Thank Mitch K
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Inscriptions in the rock date from ancient petroglyphs through the earliest Spanish explorers and 1850s U.S. immigrants to later times, until the rock was protected and further inscriptions would earn a big fine. The trip to the inscriptions is an easy paved trail. Further on, the trail to the top of the mesa becomes narrower and steeper, creating difficulties for anyone with foot or leg problems. The small museum at the visitor center is very good; we visited during the sequester period so don't know if hours were changed for that or if we were just early.

1  Thank Old_Drum