“Well Above Average For Quality Inn”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Grants
Reviewed May 28, 2013

As a Diamond (top) level member of the Choice Privileges program, I stay at Choice Hotel brand motels, which includes the Quality Inn brand, very frequently. Those who stay at Quality Inn with any degree of frequency know that the quality of the facilities and service can vary all over the map. This property delivered excellent service in very comfortable, up-to-date surroundings, and I was very pleased with my stay.

I made my reservation late in the evening of my arrival and arrived a couple of hours later - around 1:00am. My reservation was waiting for me, and the check-in process was quick and efficient. The night front desk person was very cordial and helpful, and I was in my room in a matter of minutes.

It was hard for me to tell if this is a newer property or an older one that has been refurbished, but whichever it was, the whole hotel had a new, fresh feel to it. Carpet replacement in some of the public areas was in process, but otherwise, the lobby, hallways, and guest rooms appeared to be in top shape and felt either new or newly renovated. My room was overly large and well appointed with furniture in excellent condition, a comfortable bed, and, being a mini-suite, a sofa and coffee table separated from the sleeping area by a partial wall divider. There was ample workspace, and the internet connection worked great.

The bathroom was spotless and had all of the normal amenities typically provided in Quality Inns (shampoo, lotion, conditioner). There was also a microwave in the room as well as a mini-fridge. (I do not know if these two items are standard guest rooms, but they were in the mini-suite.)

Check-out was handled quickly as well.

I did not sample the free breakfast, but the breakfast area, unlike at a lot of Quality Inns, was spacious, with ample seating in an open area adjacent to the lobby.

This hotel has interior corridors rather than access from the outside.

Various discounts are available (senior, AAA, AARP [you'll need the discount code for AARP], corporate, and organizational) are available at the Choice Hotels website. Be aware, too, that Choice Hotels runs frequent promotions that allow one to earn a free night's stay with as few as two paid stays - one of the best programs in the business for those who stay at mid-tier properties.

All in all, I was very pleased with my stay and would stay here again.

Only two minor things to report:

- My wake up call came 40 minutes late. Since it came from an automated system, I assume that the system's clock (the one that triggers the call) was not set correctly to the actual local time. Fortunately, I always set another alarm which did get me up at the appointed time.

- When I checked in, at 1:00am, I mentioned that I wished to pay cash upon checkout, which I often do, giving them my credit card when I check in as the "deposit". For this stay, I was not able to do this, because the night person had already run the charge, due to my late arrival, and could not (or would not) reverse it. I've run into this in the past at other properties, since it's common for the night shift to clean up their books during the night, but on those occasions, the front desk person could usually set things so that I could still pay cash on check-out. Not a big deal, but I'm mentioning it since it happened.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank step12dude
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn & Suites

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Why does it take 1/2 an hour to check in? Checking out took 20 minutes. It was inexcusable. Won't be back even though the rest of our experience was OK. El Cafecito Restaurant in town serving Mexican food might be your best bet. Pleasant, good food and good service.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The good news - the bed was great; the not so good - we always like to sleep with the window slightly open when the weather is not so hot rather than use the air conditioner but there was no screen. Fortunately, there were few bugs in April.

There was only one regular coffee and one decaffinated coffee. This happened two nights in a row. Of course, we could have asked for more and after a really awful breakfast, I should have.

Service overall was good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel is well located just off Hwy 40. Check in went fine. The room smelled musty and unused but was reasonably comfortable. The following morning I asked for alate checkout as I was interviewing,I was informed they do not allow that. After some discussion they agreed if I would be out by 130.i arrived back at 110 and was packing up when banging on the door occurred ,I opened the door to find an angry housekeeper who proceeded to berate me for still being in the room. She considered it appropriate to lecture me for almost 5 minutes at which point I stopped her and told her I would discuss it further with the management. If my employees ever acted this way with my customers they would cease to be my employees. One employee is a disappointment ,2 is a culture. AVOID at all costs.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Grants NM is not a cheap place to spend the night. For cheap go to Gallup, Albuquerque or Santa Rosa. However, if you need to stay in Grants like we did, Quality Inn is the best I have located, price considered. And by "price", I mean relative to the others in town.

You will pay just a few bucks more at Quality Inn than at the Days Inn next door, for example. The few bucks are well spent. The rooms are MUCH nicer and the complimentary breakfast is a bit more lavish. Tip. Select an upstairs room. It is quieter up there.

Room Tip: If you are tempted to ask for a room not facing the interstate, be aware that a train track runs on...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank GoOSUCowboys
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Very nice staff, clean room and good breakfast. The front desk lady can make you feel at home and takes care of you. It is close to the freeway yet you don't get the sound from it. It is worth what you pay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We arrived very tired from Seattle for a 3 week camping/hiking trip in New Mexico. Being very tired after getting ready for this trip and the flight, we decided to stay at an hotel. We were heading west and tried Grants, New Mexico. This place is nice. Well cared for and not very expensive. Considering it is in the middle of the wide open spaces, it was very nice. The morning breakfast had all the usual items except the waffles. It was well stocked. It was very quiet even with the countless trains going by in the distance. The bed was very comfortable. Things were clean and the staff folded pillows and towels to try to give things some class...nice effort I thought.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grants
Comfort Inn
#1 of 1 in Pueblo of Acoma
Red Lion Hotel Grants
Red Lion Hotel Grants
#7 of 11 in Grants

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!