“Worth a stop along Interstate 40 in New Mexico”

New Mexico Mining Museum
Ranked #3 of 12 things to do in Grants
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Visit the Only Uranium Mining Museum in the World! Experience the atmosphere and learn about the industry. Hours: 9am to 4pm Monday-Saturday Closed Sundays and Holidays Admission Children 0-6 Free Ages 7-17 - $3.00 Ages 18-59 - $5.00 Ages 60+ - $3.00 Military/Veteran - $3.00 Guides available with advance notice. Go Underground Today!
Montara, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Worth a stop along Interstate 40 in New Mexico”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Here you are driving along I-40 on your way to your destination to the east, or to the west. In the middle of that stretch of interstate that seems endless here is a place that is worth a stop. Stretch your legs, fill in some gaps in your historical knowledge and have fun while you are doing it. The NM Museum of Mining was a huge surprise our first visit and we've been back several times. The underground tour gives a true sense of what miners where in for. The displays in the building are interesting. This is a true gem that is deserving of more visitors.

1 Thank ThreeFamily

Santa Rosa, CA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Everything Mining”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

A great educational, inexpensive stop with a wonderful history of the area mining. The 'underground' tour is fun as long as you are not claustrophobic. We had a couple of folks in our group who declined to go in the mine, but they thoroughly enjoyed the museum. The recorded narration by actual miners explaining what goes on underground was fascinating as well as educational. Those were some brave folks!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank KarsedSantaRosa_CA
Green Valley, Arizona
225 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 500 helpful votes
“Fun and Educational”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

This museum far exceeded my expectations. There was so much to see and do. I was the only visitor when I was there so could stop and linger at the exhibits. The main level was interesting and had several videos on places to see in New Mexico which you were free to view. There were excellent specimens of rocks and gems on display. Of interest to me was the boom and bust history Grants has experienced which was well documented in an interesting set of displays.

By far the best part for me was the lower level reached by a noisy, rickety, old elevator that took you down to the site of an actual old mine. The impessive interactive exhibits along with the written information really gave you a sense of what it was like to be a miner. The step by step process and equipment used were on display and carefully explained. Area very confining with no windows and only artificial light. The lunchroom had warning signs reminding employees of the dangers. I know I could not work under the conditions the miners did-too claustrophobic and dangerous. I gained a real appreciation for the hardships miners endured and the courage they needed. The $3 price ($2 for children and seniors) was very reasonable. The floor in the mine was firm and wide enough for a wheelchair or stroller to navigate. I learned a lot and was glad I had stopped. I stayed about two hours but that is probably longer than most people would (especially with small children) as I watched all the videos and read most of the narrative. Staff was very knowledgeable.

2 Thank Joan W
Denver
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A nice visit”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The museum itself is very nice and well maintained. The people were very helpful and the tour was informative. Perhaps not fair of me to review this, as I'm not much into mining. However, I was impressed with the interactive nature of the museum, the upkeep, and the knowledge gained while there.

2 Thank Amy K
Clifton Park, New York
107 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 237 helpful votes
“Hidden gem.... Pun intended”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We happened upon this place while on Rt. 66. Grants is an interesting town and this exhibit shows some of the creativity of it's citizens. Downstairs is a complete "mine" with explanations of how everything works. Truly amazing. One of a kind. Upstairs is a nice tour of mining history in New Mexico and some short films about the area. The admission fee was nominal ($3 or 2 depending on age) and the staff was so helpful in recommending visits to other local attractions. I would do this again......

Visited September 2013
2 Thank John I

Been to New Mexico Mining Museum? Share your experiences!