“This was an amazing trip!”
Review of Gettysburg

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Exton, Pennsylvania
72 helpful votes
“This was an amazing trip!”
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Wow, we had a wonderful time in Gettysburg. We only stayed one night, so we really had to rush to see everything, but that's OK! I may not be too much of a history nut, but it sure got me into it! You must visit the battlefield, it is impeccable in the amount of history it has and just the overall feel of it is amazing! Another must in Gettysburg is to take a ghost tour-I mean this is one of the most haunted cities in America, right?!!! We booked ours in a little gift shop near the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg (A great hotel, read my review) and we went on a ghost tour of the Jennie Wade house. My, oh my this was AMAZING! The next morning I had Belgium Waffles at a yummy yummy place, right across the 1863 Inn, called Annietime Waffles. It was tiny (you couldn't even go inside), but great! Even though I had a sore throat the second day, it was still one of the best trips I have ever had.
STOP BY THE VISITORS CENTER-ITS HUGE AND THEY HAVE A NICE LITTLE GETTYSBURG HISTORY MUSEUM IN IT.

122 helpful votes
“Great trip back in history”
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We stopped by Gettysburg on a whim on our way home from New England. It turned out to be one of our highlights. We had only the one day but wished we had planed for more time. We purchased the cd at the tourist center and drove on our own narrated tour of the battle route, complete with sound effects. You can stop at any site and explore all you want and then continue at your own pace. It was awesome to stand on a knoll and imagine how it would all have looked.

1 Thank iluuvhawaii
Cranston, RI
1 helpful vote
“Gettysburg, PA - Civil War and much more”
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We have been traveling to Gettysburg since the mid 1980's on regular vacations, and love it so much we've decided to move there. It's loaded with Civil War historical sites, house museums, battle museums, bookstores, gift shops, ghost tours, restaurants, relic and antique shops, etc.

There is a new state-of-the-art visitor's center where you can view relics of the war, experience the fabulous Cyclorama, which is a 360 degree painting of Pickett's Charge on July 3, 1863, and a wonderful gift/book store with everything you want to know about Gettysburg and the Civil War.

The town is alive with shops, B&B's, restaurants, etc., but the real attractions are the Gettysburg National Military Park--mostly restored to it's state before the battle began, and the National Cemetery. It is an incredibly sacred and peaceful place considering the horrors of the battle that overtook this quiet town. There are also many non-Civil War events and attractions in conjunction with apple harvest, lavender harvesting, the Adams County Winery, and much more.

Make Gettysburg your next vacation and you will never forget your time there. Chances are you will go back many times.

1 Thank MuffyB_10
MISSISSAUGA
35 helpful votes
“Our favourite vacation location”
Reviewed August 9, 2010

This is an excellent vacation place to go if you are a history or civil war buff.

The Visitors Centre is very good as are the historic, war based attractions. We have been four times in five years and this past visit was the first time that we have done a personal tour with a certified tour guide in our vehicle. It is much more cost effective than taking one of the bus tours. They will custom tailor the tour to your specific interests or cover the three days in general and you can ask plenty of questions.

Consider one of the reasonably priced walking tours in the evening. You can take a ghost tour or a tour which focuses on the war/people/history of Gettysburg. We took one around the seminary which is on the battlefield and it was great.

You can spend a few hours going to all of the small shops along the main strip and there are plenty of restaurants and hotels to suit most budgets.

I would suggest staying close to the center of town so that you get the feel of the small town rather than staying on the outskirts of town.

Niagara Falls, Canada
“Gettysburg, a sleepy little town.”
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I just returned from Gettysburg very disappointed to say the least. I was very much looking forward to this mini vacation for sometime. The overall appearance of the town is favorable. What wasn't so much was the quaint little shops in town that have the strangest hours or not open at all! Very disappointed when taking an evening stroll throught the streets and not one shop was opened! It almost gave you a depressed and unwelcomed kind of feeling! The garbage cans were full and overflowing with a smell that was unbearable! The whole trip was a waste of two days and I will not return or recommend this historical town to anybody.
The Auto Tour was well worth it! Thats about the only positive I can give.

Been to Gettysburg? Share your experiences!