“A great experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Tiltonsville, Ohio
“A great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We always stay here when in Gettysburg. You can not beat the location and proximity to what you want to do. Ample, safe parking. The pool is the best outdoor we have expereinced, it is well maintained, spotless and the chemicals are managed very well. Staff is always accomodating and it appears that managment really train them well on customer service. Have stayed twice this year. My wife is ill and they accomodate our room request, even on short notice. Recently remodeled and the choices are wonderful. We always stay on the back side of the hotel....BY THE POOL!!!!!!! It is quiet, convenient to parking and yes, by the pool. They market themselves by wanting to be your Gettysburg address, and they mean it. They strive to meet, no exceed, your expectations.

Room Tip: I love the back of the building, quiet, convenient to parking.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank thegrendels
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review! We certainly are glad that you enjoy your time with us. It is so nice to hear that we are keeping our visitors happy! The hotel is in a great location and the rooms are clean and well appointed. The pool is a great way to cool off after a day of touring the Battlefield. There is so much to see and do here. We realize that there are many lodging options in Gettysburg. Thank you for choosing the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg! We appreciate your loyalty! We love being your "Gettysburg Address"! See you soon!

Norma Herring

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Coventry, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

I can't say enough about how much we loved our stay at the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg! We stayed here for one night from August 16th to the 17th. I had called on the 15th to confirm our reservation and spoke with the nicest person on the phone. Her name was Susan and she was so helpful and didn't try to rush me off the phone like most hotels do. Instead, she spent at least 15 minutes answering any and all of my many questions (since I wanted this as a surprise for my wife and wanted it to be perfect). When we arrived we were met by Bre at the front desk. She also went out of her way to make us feel very special there. Another very nice and helpful clerk was Sara. This obviously reflects very good management with customer service being their priority! Well done to the General Manager Norma Herring! The FREE breakfast was great, offering the usual items but also offering biscuits and gravy (you MUST try that!). I read some reviews that said they weren't happy with it? It's FREE (and also good!) We didn't use the outdoor pool since we were too busy walking around the shops (RIGHT across the street) but the pool was very clean and many were using it. Finally, I had accidently left my wallet in a drawer and neither my wife nor I checked the drawers when we left so forgot it. Imagine my surprise when I received a call on my cell phone as we were touring the Gettysburg Battlefields from Bre at the front desk saying that they had found my wallet and would hold it for me. After our tour I went back and picked it up (FULLY intact!). Our housekeeping person was Maria so a HUGE thank you to her for her honesty!! Again, a direct reflection on great management here! All in all, I rate this hotel 5 stars right across the board and STRONGLY recommend it as a the best place to stay right in downtown Gettysburg! You can't go wrong here!

Room Tip: The king bed rooms face the rear of the hotel (parking lot) so if you like to people watch and want...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. I do have a great staff! They all take pride in this hotel and I believe that it shows. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the breakfast is a great way to start your day. I will make sure that the staff knows how pleased you were with their service. It always helps to know that you are doing a good job and that our visitors have noticed! Thank you again for the kind words! I appreciate your loyalty to the 1863 Inn and hope that you will continue to visit with us!( And a personal thank you for the wonderful compliment to me! I love my job and this hotel! It is very rewarding!) Have a great summer!

With many thanks!

Lenexa, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

1863 is an older property that is within walking distance of many activities. We had a room with a king bed that faced the back of the property. There was no view except the top portion of the hotel below. There was a smoky odor that was noticiable when you walked into the room but seemed to dissapate as you got used to it. Don't know if it was from the previous occupant or if it's just part of the old building smell. The room itself was very large with a comfortable bed and a dorm style refridgerator. Through Pricline we paid $90 @ night. I called Priceline and had them request a king bed. When checking in we were told the room had 2 double beds and if we changed the reservation it would invalidate the "special" price. We wound up paying an additional $10 a night for a king bed. The agent checking us in was not very accommodating but everyone else that we spoke to was nice. There was a good size outdoor pool that we did not have the chance to use.
The breakfast was quite good with a wide selection of items to choose from. We enjoyed our visit to Gettysburg but would probably not stay at the1863 again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KS66215
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Thank you for telling us about your stay. Our goal here at the 1863 Inn is to make sure that each guest has an enjoyable stay. It seems that we may have fallen short of that goal during your stay. I do apologize for the smoky smell in your room. All of our rooms are non smoking and we advise all guests of this at check in. Unfortunately there are those that decide to ignore it. I found no record of a report to the front desk regarding the issue. There are procedures in place to eliminate that problem. All of the housekeeping staff are instructed to contact the front desk if they notice a smoke odor when cleaning a room. I will check with the Housekeeping Supervisor to make sure that this procedure is followed. For future reference, please contact the front desk no matter where you stay if you have an issue. We would have been glad to change your room for you but did not know about the problem. As for the rate difference-when you book thru a third party site such as Price Line you are given a room with 2 double beds. If you request a king there is an additional charge. I am sorry that they failed to inform you of this when you made the reservation. They do know about the policy. I will also check to see who the clerk was that checked you in. There is no excuse for any employee being unfriendly. Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay. We are an older property as you said, however, our rooms are clean and the building well maintained. We work very hard to keep everything in good working order. I do hope that you will visit us again if you are ever back this way. Please feel free to contact me direct at 1-866-953-4483 and I will be happy to make your reservation for you. Thank you again for the review. We use this information to improve our service. We appreciate the feed back.

Pinckney, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

We visited Gettysburg for the first time last weekend and took a chance on the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg and we are glad we did! The location is great. We walked to the cemetery the first evening and then had dinner at O'Roukes right across the street. The room was clean and even though we are used to a king size bed the double beds were comfortable. The only problem we encountered was the steamy bathroom after a shower since there is no exhaust fan, and that was very minor. The free parking was nice. Breakfast was plentiful, with a nice variety, and the coffee was very good! I don't know why but a good cup of coffee makes me happy! We were able to enjoy the clean pool after a long day of touring the battlefield and museum. The downtown square is only 1/2 mile away and we enjoyed that walk from the hotel.The convenience mart across the street was, well.... convenient! The staff was helpful and every time we met one of the cleaning staff we were warmly greeted. Will definitely recommend the Inn to anyone we know who may be visiting Gettysburg!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Betty M
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel. We have a wonderful location and the rooms are clean and comfortable. We have a great staff here. They take pride in this hotel. They will be very excited to hear that you mentioned how friendly they were. We hope that you will join us again if you come back to our beautiful little town. Thank you again for the review. Have a great summer.

West Orange, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We have been staying at the Inn of Gettysburg on and off for many years. We keep returning. The only reason we have stayed elsewhere was the unavailability of a room. My adult daughter and her new husband have also been staying here whenever they come to Gettysburg. The staff is always friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and the rates are comparable or better than others. The 1863 is convenient to almost all of the sites and the National Park by foot, free trolley or by car. The 1863 is always our first choice and we come here at least once a year- sometimes for a long weekend and sometimes for a full week.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are so glad that you enjoy your visits with us. We know how important it is to provide our guests with a clean room at a decent rate. We realize that there are many options when it comes to lodging in Gettysburg. Thank you for your patronage. Your loyalty is greatly appreciated! Hope to see you soon. Thank you again for taking time to tell us about your visits. Have a wonderful Summer!

East Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

My friends and I always stay here every time we go to Gettysburg. It's comfy and close to everything. The Jennie Wade house is right next door and there is many shops within walking distance. The breakfast here is very good too. Lots of variety. I highly recommend staying here when planning a trip to Gettysburg.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MarinaPaulie
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regrding your stay with us. It's nice to hear that you enjoy your visits. We appreciate your loyalty and hope that you will continue to let us be your "Gettysburg Address". I hope that you have signed up for our "Loyalty Program" for repeat guests. It provides our return visitors with great savings! Thank you again for the wonderful review. We look forward to your next visit.

General Manger
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

My daughter and I arrived at the Inn this past Saturday night, and had a very enjoyable stay. I had stayed at the Inn when it was a Holiday Inn, and it has always been clean and safe, and the location is second to none, with walks to the Battlefield, National Cemetary and quaint gift shops close by. The continental breakfast was by far the best of our trip, much better than Hampton and Comfort Inns. The young lady at the front desk was kind and attentive, and even called to our room to make sure everything was fine, which it was. My daughter enjoyed the clean outside pool, and I enjoyed relaxing at poolside. It was a wonderful stay, and we hope to return to the 1863 Inn of Gettysburg soon!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Marleyandmarley
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
We are so glad that you and you daughter enjoyed your visit with us! Thank you for the wonderful review. When we decided to drop the Holiday Inn Franchise we realized that there may be some folks that would be a bit nervous about staying at a non brand hotel. We know that we have to stay compettitive with so many lodging options in Gettysburg. We offer a clean, comfortable room at a resonable rate. The Free breakfast has become a huge hit! Our rooms come with all the goodies that the franchise hotels offer-hairdryer-iron and ironing board-coffee maker-free internet service. The staff is so great. They love knowing that our guests want to keep coming back to see us. We hope to see you again. Gettysburg has so much to see and do. Have a wonderful summer and thank you again for the kind words!