“Much better than I expected!”

1863 Inn of Gettysburg
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Staten Island, New York
“Much better than I expected!”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Since I am not into the whole history thing, I never thought I would find myself in Gettysburg. But a friend of mine was getting married nearby so I found myself in need of a nice room at a great price and boy did I find it here. From the time I checked in (Alicia was so great at the front desk) to the time I left I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this place. They must have done a recent re-do in the rooms because it was even nicer than the pics on their website. I can't say enough about how clean everything was. The rooms, the pool, the lobby. Everything was great! I really appreciated the fact that this hotel tries its best to maintain a "green" way of doing things. Having coffee available in the lobby 24/7 was a great touch. The breakfast, while not gourmet was more than adequate, offering a nice variety of items to get your day started off right. When I asked for a late check out, they were more than willing to accommodate the request and allowed me the extra time I needed. The location is ideal for anything you may want to do in Gettysburg. I recommend Mr. G's ice cream shop a couple of blocks down as well as the very inexpensive but wonderful Lincoln Diner about 6 blocks away. Again, I doubt I will ever find a reason to be in Gettysburg again, but if I have to I will only stay at the 1863 Inn. I highly, HIGHLY recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms in back overlook cars but are very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments regarding your stay with us! We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit! We are very proud of our staff. We are very lucky to have Alicia at the front desk. The housekeeping staff does an excellent job when it comes to keeping the rooms in tip top shape. We are not perfect-but we do try our best. Our FREE "Rise and Shine" Breakfast is always a good way to start your day! We offer a nice selection of both hot and cold items. The location of the hotel is wonderful! Park your car and walk to most of the major attractions. I do hope that you will visit us again! There is so much more to see in Gettysburg then just the Battlefield. It is a beautiful little town and very friendly. We look forward to seeing you again. Have a wonderful summer and thank you again for the wonderful review!!

Norma Herring

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Shaftsbury, Vermont
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I’ve stayed several times at the 1863, and will stay here again. I’m hoping that the glitches I experienced this time were just blips that wont be a long running problem.

To start with hotel has a great location, and that’s something you can’t fix with other hotels. Checking in was quick and went very smoothly. The hotel has lots of parking and in Gettysburg that’s a huge plus. You can actually stay at the 1863, see the whole battlefield and never have to move your car.

I stayed in the annex building, with a king size bed. The room was very quite. Even the ever running A/C wasn’t loud. My big problem came from finding someone’s forgotten makeup under the desk, a water bottle under the bed, and an open soda left in the fridge. Yuck. Left me wondering just how well the room really cleaned. I also think its way pass time to replace the mattresses and pillows in this room. Lumpy and way to soft.

The bathroom however seemed to be spotless. Nice big fluffy towels, that you wrap up in. I have to give them perks on the lighting in bathroom also.

Room Tip: Try to get into the annex.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank vtmom13
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
I apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. There is no excuse for any of the items that you brought to our attention. We have addressed those items with the housekeeper that cleaned your room the day you checked in. It appears as though she did a wonderful job on the bathroom area-not so wonderful in the bedroom! I hope that the service improved during your 3 day visit.
Our main goal at the 1863 Inn is to provide every guest with a clean, comfortable room. Apparently we fell short of that goal with your stay
I am glad to see that you will be returning to stay with us in October. We appreciate the second chance you are giving us.
I look forward to speaking with you on Friday. Thank you for responding to my email with a number where I can reach you. I prefer to discuss the issues with you directly and assure you that any future visits will exceed your expectations!
We will use the information you provide to improve our service.

New Jersey
Reviewed June 9, 2011

My son had been studying the Gettysburg War in school so we decided to take a ride to Gettysburg President's Weekend so he can see the facts about the war. Originally we booked a room at the Super 8 Motel. Well what a mistake that was!!
They had BUGS alot of BUGS. We left after one hour from getting in. We had no room and our son in the car. We decide to have dinner and see what we can find in the area. I went onto Orbitz and booked a room at the 1863 Hotel. I was very nervous after the ordeal we just went though at the Super 8 plus my son was very upset and really just wanted to drive 3 and half hours back home. I told both my son and husband lets just check into the hotel for the night and if we don't like it we can just head home the next day.
Well are we glad we checked in! the hotel was super clean. The employees were great and breakfest was good. I am so glad we decided to stay at this hotel. It was close to everything. We were actually able to walk to alot of the historical sites.
We became club member because we plan on go back again this Labor Day Weekend.

I would Definitely recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments! We are very glad that your visit turned into an enjoyable one and we were a part of it! We have a wonderful staff here and do our best to make sure that our rooms are clean and comfortable.
We certainly are gald that you will be back in September! When you make your reservation don't forget to mention that you are a "Loyalty" member!! Can't beat the rate!!
We look forward to seeing you then! Thank you again! Have a wonderful Summer!!

Reviewed June 6, 2011

I will stay here again when I return to Gettysburg. Get a non-smoking room if tobacco smoke bothers you.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank PhotoProDude
We are so gald that you enjoyed your visit with us. It is always nice to know that we have a satisfied customer! This winter we will be converting some of our smoking rooms to nonsmoking. We have found that there are more and more requests for nonsmoking. We will keep a few smoking rooms to accommodate our smoking visitors.
When you visit us again you might want to join our 'Loyalty" Program for repeat guests! Great savings on the rate!
We look forward to your next visit. Have a very nice summer! Thank you again for the wonderful review!

Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I stayed here recently for one night following a visit with family in the Harrisburg area. I had a King bed in the main building. The room was huge, even by American standards, and it was very clean and comfortable. There was a mini-fridge, useful for keeping water and fruit chilled. I was on the third floor facing the parking and greenspace at the back of the building. There is a covered walkway from the second-floor parking lot to the interior corridor where the elevator is, so getting in and out was very easy.
Check-in and check-out staff were both friendly and efficient. I was given a local map and tourism guide for Gettysburg when I checked in. There were also brochures for Gettysburg attractions. I didn’t have an opportunity to use the bus system, but it seems that would be a good way to get around without having to worry about traffic and parking. The Jenny Wade house is right next door, and several other museums/attractions were walking distance, as well.
The Rise and Shine breakfast had lots of choices, with hot and cold cereals, breakfast breads, yogurt, and hot breakfast options as well. The room is kept fairly clean and well-stocked.
The internet service isn’t wireless, and I didn’t have my cable with me, so I took advantage of some down time to read and relax and not worry what I was missing on TA! I also attended a movie, The Conspirator, (seemed appropriate for a Gettysburg visit!) at the beautifully restored Majestic Theatre in downtown Gettysburg.
All in all, it was a very pleasant stay, and I hope to return for a lengthier visit the next time, staying here, of course!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Zoey1996
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us! Our staff really does go above and beyond to make every guest comfortable. We want you to feel like family. We realize that you have many options when it comes to lodging in Gettysburg. We offer a clean,comfortable room with all the extras to go with it. Our location can't be beat-so close to all the main attractions! Park the car and enjoy the short walk to whatever you may want to see. We were pleased that you tried our Free "Rise and Shine" Breakfast. It is not your usual "Free" breakfast. We do offer many choices-hot and cold! I will be sure to pass along your wonderful comments to the staff! These comments let them know that they are doing a good job. Our main goal is guest satisfaction. It appears that we met that goal with your stay! Thank you again for the review! There are many things being planned for Gettysburg the next 2 years .The 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg is in 2013! Many events for our visitors. We do hope you will visit again! Gettysburg has much to offer!

Monroeville PA
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Getaway weekend for my husband and I. This hotel was perfect. Location, cleanliness and service. The breakfast looked good even though we did not partake. Plenty of choices.

Coffee and tea in the lobby at all time was nice.

Would recommend and hopefully we will stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing rear are very quiet
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Thank you so much for thr wonderful review! We love to hear that we are doing a good job! There are so many choices when it comes to lodging in our beautiful town. We are honored that you stayed with us. We offer all the extras of a larger "Chain" hotel at a much more resonable rate! Our rooms are equipped with hair dryers, coffee makers, irons and ironing boards. We also offer Free hi speed wired or wireless internet service. Our Free "Rise and Shine" breakfast is a great way to start the day! The free coffee and tea in the lobby area is a big hit. Our outdoor pool is a great way to relax after a day of touring. Our housekeeping staff does a wonderful job keeping our rooms clean and inviting for our visitors. I do hope that you will come back to see us again! You may want to inquire about our "Loyalty Program" for repeat guests. Great savings with the program!!

There will be plenty to do in Gettysburg the next 2 years with the 150th Anniv. of the Battle of Gettysburg in 2013! The town has so many activities planned! It should be a very special time! Hope to see you soon! Thank you again for the kind words!

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Sara at front desk was very helpful and provided wonderful suggestions for dining and sightseeing.Hotel very clean and reasonably priced. very good beds.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
normajean16, General Manager at 1863 Inn of Gettysburg, responded to this review, May 8, 2011
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! It is always nice to hear that our visitors are happy with our hotel. Sara is our Guest Service Manager. We are very lucky to have her! We are very proud of our hotel. We do our very best to make sure that all of our guests have an enjoyable stay! Our rooms are clean and comfortable and we offer all the extra goodies that the bigger"chain" hotels do. Our location can't be beat! We are located right next to the tour center and the National Park Visitors Center is only a short drive! Thank you again for the nice comments! We look foward to having you visit with us in the future!

General manager