“Like coming home”
Review of The Doubleday Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Doubleday Inn
Ranked #12 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 19, 2007

The Doubleday Inn is the only place we will stay when in Gettysburg ! It never fails to meet up to expectations. I swear it actually gets better every time we go. The rooms are immaculate and beautiful, and breakfast is out of this world. On this particular trip, Christine and Todd went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect (but it always is!) and they even helped with our itinerary and reservations for all our excursions. All we had to do was enjoy ourselves and we did! I can't say enough about them. For the best experience at a B&B in PA, stay at the Gettysburg Inn!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
13  Thank jez18088

Reviewed October 15, 2007

WOW!!! My husband and I finally stayed at a bed and breakfast in Gettysburg. We certainly chose the right one. Our room was absolutely beautiful, with a fantastic view of the battlefield, right from our window! The bathroom was almost as big as the bedroom, I mean huge, and was beautifully decorated as well! The breakfast was very tasty and we enjoyed conversing with the other guests. None of this would have been as great, had it not been for the innkeepers, Todd and Christine. I had never met them before and felt comfortable right from the start! I highly recommend staying here. Gettysburg is a very interesting and historical town. Plenty to do and see...GO!!! Oh yes...We also had the pleasure of meeting their very friendly dog, Molly. Check out their website...we saw most of the rooms and every one was beautiful...have fun!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Nadine8
Reviewed August 5, 2007

The Doubleday Inn has friendly owners who welcome you to their inn, and give you a bit of history about the place. Another nice aspect is that each room is loaned a copy of the Gettysburg Battlefield audio tour. If you would like more information than that provides, the owners will send you in the right direction. Breakfast was tasty, particularly the baked goods.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
12  Thank OutdoorsyTypes
Reviewed July 30, 2007

Where to begin?!?! We live in DC and are always looking for interesting weekend trips to get out of the hectic pace of the city. We had been to Gettysburg once before and stayed in a B&B downtown...mistake! This small town is so busy, you've never seen so many tractor trailers on a two lane road in your life! But we love the history of the area so we decided to research some accommodations outside of the busy downtown district. We found pure perfection at the lovely Doubleday Inn!

I found the Inn through a B&B search engine and was intrigued by the "on the Battlefield" description...even the pictures on the Inn's website cannot convey how special the location is...you are surrounded by the Battlefield on all sides with the most amazing views...rolling hills and the town of Gettysburg off in the distance...monuments as far as the eye can see on the road leading up to the Inn. I downloaded over 100 pictures just of the Inn and surrounding grounds. Sunrise and sunset are breath-taking here, with the views spanning in all directions. It's also great having the Battlefield to yourself in the early morning hours, very peaceful!

Todd & Christine are your super friendly hosts at the Doubleday, they have done so much work to ensure that all your needs are taken care of from the moment you walk in the door. They have abundant maps and orientation materials available and give you all the "Insiders' Tips" to getting around town, parking, what to see, where to eat, etc. We loved that they allowed us to borrow a copy of the "Auto Tour" driving CD, it was nice to explore the fields at our own pace when we first began. Then they arranged a tour with their historian, a licensed battlefield guide, for the following morning...at $45 for a two hour tour you simply cannot miss this tour! Charlie is the best, we learned so much from our time with him. Make sure to request a tour with him when you make your reservation and Christine will line everything up for you.

Breakfast...just wonderful!!! I am not a fan of "gourmet" dining for breakfast...8 AM is not the time to ask my husband to try asparagus for the first time! Christine's breakfasts were hearty country foods, well prepared and abundantly portioned. Each day of our 4 day stay featured a different tasty main dish, along with beautifully presented fresh fruit, juices, teas, coffee and baked goods. Afternoons featured delicious homemade cookies and hot tea, a welcome treat after traipsing around town all afternoon. We always enjoyed our snack sitting on the covered side patio, the gardens are so beautiful and it was always cool out there with a slight breeze. We sat for hours just taking in the history and enjoying the peace & quiet.

The Doubleday's location is perfect, far enough from town to be very quiet, yet just a two minute drive to all the attractions. We spent the mornings exploring the Battlefield by foot and on car, and the afternoons checking out the many shops and museums downtown (our favorite museum is the Schriver House, don't miss this neat tour of a Civilian house during the Battle). We always looked forward to coming "home" to the Inn to freshen up and relax before dinner. This was always my favorite time of the day!

Todd made dinner reservations for us at the Cashtown Inn and the Fairfield Inn, both fantastic historical buildings with outstanding food. We would recommend both to anyone looking for an enjoyable fine dining experience.

All in all this was the most satisfying vacation we've had in a long time. It's so lucky for us that this wonderful destination is only a 90 minute drive away! We will definitely return frequently. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing weekend we highly recommend a stay at the Doubleday Inn. You will be rejuvenated by the time you check out and ready to face the world again!

13  Thank citygurl_07
Reviewed June 17, 2007

My husband and I have just returned from one of the most delightful vacations ever! Our children presented us with a visit to the Doubleday Inn as a Christmas Gift...they will have some difficulty topping this one. The Inn was even more beautiful than any photograph could portray. Christine and Todd, along with their Golden Retriever, Molly, were the perfect hosts-it's hard to believe that they have just celebrated their first year as keepers of the Inn. Our home away from home was tastefully decorated and immaculate. The wooded surroundings with it's stone walls, birdfeeders, sitting areas, and lovely gardens provided a peaceful respite from the busy tourist environment of downtown Gettysburg. The view from Oak Ridge is absolutely beautiful. A delicious breakfast was enhanced by candlelight and interesting conversation with other guests.
After an afternoon of touring we returned to find hot water with a large assortment of tea and a batch of fresh baked cookies for our enjoyment. The Thomas's graciously made dinner reservations for us at The Cashtown Inn. Jack & Maria, the Innkeepers, provided a delicious dinner...we will go there again!
Charles Kingston, the resident historian, ended our day with a spirited question and answer session on the Battle of Gettysburg. That was just our first day! Thanks to the hospitality of Christine, Todd, and Molly we will return soon to Gettysburg and the Doubleday Inn.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
11  Thank mtnlaurel_7
Reviewed May 30, 2007

I stayed briefly at the Doubleday Inn and really enjoyed it. The house is lovely and nicely located on the battlefield, the innkeepers
are friendly, and the breakfasts were delicious. If you're not a Civil War buff you may want to bone up on your history before your stay -- it's (understandably) a major topic of conversation around the breakfast table!

None of the rooms can be locked when you're outside the room (they do have button-type locks, like a bathroom, for when you are inside),
which I will admit I found a little uncomfortable, and this may not be OK with all visitors. Also, the room I stayed in (the Sallie the War Dog room) had a non-attached bath; this is clearly noted on the hotel website, and very nice robes were provided, so that was neither
unexpected nor a problem. I was disconcerted, though, when I realized
that the bathroom windows look directly out onto the back deck, and if there are shades, I couldn't find them (although the curtain tie-backs were easily let down to block the windows). I wouldn't recommend that particular room -- I would rather have paid the extra money for a more private bathroom.

Reservations through the web site, check-in and check-out were pleasant and easy, and the innkeepers seemed extremely accomodating, although I didn't make as much use of them as I might have. All in all, I had a very pleasant two-night stay at the Doubleday Inn and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a traditional homey B&B experience.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
15  Thank Kyle H
Reviewed April 25, 2007

The Doubleday Inn was such a wonderful experience. It is very quaint and "homey". The owners, Todd and Christine were absolutely attentive and so kind. It was the perfect getaway; peaceful, great breakfast, nicely decorated rooms, and an adorable mascot; their Golden Retriever Molly! My husband and I spent our anniversary there and we couldn't have been more happy! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: April 2007