“Definitely a older budget place, but GREAT price/location”

Budget Host Three Crowns Motor Lodge
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Muskego, Wisconsin
“Definitely a older budget place, but GREAT price/location”
Reviewed July 19, 2007

I booked this hotel based on reviews on TA and also because the Colton was full and they referred me to Budget Host.

We arrived around 9pm and did advise at reservation (directly) that we would be a late arrival. We had the AAA rate and were charge $150 and change for 2 adults and 1 child (9yo) for a two night stay.

The room was clean and the a/c was on, which was very welcome as the outside temps were hot and muggy. There was a strange light fixture in our room and on the toliet cover that said "Levitation Project" in bright green. That was a bit bizarre and added "character".

The breakfast was only pastries in a tupperware type box and coffee. I walked to a local gas station to purchase juice.

The location was AWESOME. We were a few hundred yards from the Visitor's Center and Cemetary and in the center of town to walk to restaurants and shops.

We found the pool to be clean and my family enjoyed splashing away in it. It ranges from 3 to 9 feet, but the drop off is marked by a floating rope.

A heads up if you tend to be freaked out by tattoos or piercings- the manager/owner is heavily tattooed and has hoops in his ear lobes that are flush with his earlobe (creating a hole ringed by the metal hoop). My son was impressed/amazed. I mention this because I want fellow travelers to not be judgemental. The management is VERY nice, pleasant and helpful, so if you are one who lets outside appearances affect your impression of an operation, PLEASE DON'T!

One other note, the motel actively solicits tips for the maids. I didn't mind, and make it a regular practice to tip at every hotel stay. Due to the rates, the staff's wages are likely correspondingly low as well, so please be a good tipper.

This motel is an excellent value and location and the price can't be beat.

Stayed July 2007
6 Thank Mara D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Vermont
Reviewed July 4, 2007

We were a walk-in after our reservation at a nearby hotel was "lost" and they had no vacancies (funny - the sign said Vacancies but they had none - it was convenient how there were vacancies here at their sister hotel).

Anyway, I guess the room was clean, which is all I really care about, but it's hard to tell because it's so old. I couldn't reach the air conditioner, fortunately my teenager could. It seemed pretty damp and musty in there, but our wet clothes from Hershey seemed to dry okay overnight.

No clocks in the rooms? To me that is a basic neccesity. I don't need frills - but a clock doesn't seem like an extra amenity to me.

The beds were comfortable and we all slept well, so that's all that mattered to me.

Very close and convenient to everything in G'burg!

• Liked — The price and location!
  • Disliked — Rooms definitely seem old and outdated, kind of damp.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank JR981
Pittsburgh
Reviewed June 11, 2007

and it was exactly what we wanted. We visited Gettysburg a few years ago with the idea that we were going to be out and about for most of our trip. We wanted a nice, clean, comfortable place to keep our stuff, park our car, sleep and shower.

This place was perfect!! Walking distance to a lot of the sights and restaurants. Yes, the pool was kinda scary but I can swim at home! I came to Gettysburg for the sights and the history, not the hotel pool.

If you want amenities this place is not for you. If you want to spend as little as possible (even without the AAA discount!!) for a place you are only going to be for 8 hrs each day then this is the place. I am currently planning another trip and I am so excited this place is still available.

• Stayed August 2004, traveled as a couple
3 Thank athenePittsburgh
Taylor, MI
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I've stayed here 3 times now. Great place, perfect location and Kevin the manager was very accommodating. The price is right, too! We were able to walk to everywhere we wanted to go since the hotel is right in town. Great time and great people ... I will definately be back!! Oh, and I have to mention that this place is biker friendly - thanks Kevin!
Kelly from Taylor, MI

Stayed May 2007
4 Thank KellyMTaylor
Coloma MI
Reviewed September 16, 2006

Clean and comfortable. Convenient for touring and restaurants. Didn't use pool. The price was right. Coffee and small danish rolls.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nana4
Northern NY
Reviewed July 25, 2006

The desk clerk was rude and when he stated the room would be $85 and I asked if that was negotiable (I've paid $79-99 at beautiful Marriot Courtyards in every major city on the east coast) he said I would not get a room in Gettysburg anywhere else for less than him. We figured he was right, we'd seen that the previous 3 motels we'd passed had no vacancy. The rooms were small, outdated and the bathrooms had no water pressure and the towels smelled bad and were old. The comforter was almost sticky when you sat on the bed. And then we noticed the sheets were also old, and if they were clean, then they were stained. We left, got our refund (we had paid in cash) and went 5 miles down 34 on the right to a beautiful old fashioned little motel (Blue Sky Motel) with tidy knotty cedar-paneled rooms and clean comfy beds for $55. The shower was hot, the bathroom small and clean (toilet even had a sanitized wrap on it to show it'd been done) and they were VERY nice. Did I mention the AC got the room comfy in about 5 minutes? Don't waste your money at Three Crowns Motor Lodge. It's disgusting.

• Liked — It was very close to town
  • Disliked — The room, the dirty sheets, the dirty bathroom, the clerk.
  • Tips/Secrets — Drive a little bit north of town on 34 and stay at Blue Sky Motel
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CountryBliss
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 30, 2005

We have stayed here twice and may very well do it again,We found this motor lodge to be just what We needed,it was close to all local attractions plus they sold tickets for a washington D.C. Bus Tour which the wife and I liked so well We have taken the tour twice.....Good clean old motel.

Stayed July 2004