“Excellent Value”

Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Homewood, Illinois
“Excellent Value”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

In a town where hotels are not shy about charging top dollar, the Three Crowns Motor Lodge gives a value alternative, and not at sacrifice of comfort or cleanliness. And it’s a lovely reminder of when people stayed at a place called a “motor lodge”.

If you did a lot of traveling in the 50s and 60s, like I did with my parents, most overnighting was done in a motor lodge, or motel. Just like the Three Crowns, you pulled up to the door of your room (park free, of course), and opened it with a real key on a large plastic fob. Just like the Three Crowns, you knew you would be getting a room that was more eclectic than corporate, and there was more than a good chance the guy behind the check-in desk was the owner.

One of the best features of the Three Crowns is its location, which is superb. It is literally across the street from an entrance to the National Cemetery, which connects to the Gettysburg Address memorial. It’s also within walking distance to several historic buildings, ghost tours, and restaurants. If you need to travel to somewhere in the town by car, such as the Gettysburg Museum & Visitor Center, the Three Crowns is at the junction of main streets.

The room itself was spacious. I had some initial fear that the smallish air conditioner way at the back wall of the room would be insufficient, but it blew cold and hard during a warm and humid night. The bathroom area is not large, but adequate. The separate sink area is large, but if I were to make a suggestion to management, perhaps a better place can be found for the room’s dorm-size refrigerator. It works just fine, but having it on the sink top takes a lot of room away from other sink top functions. I also found the light over the sink not bright enough for easy shaving.

Having the refrigerator is quite handy, as the morning repast is coffee and pastries, two foods not on my breakfast list. There is a large supermarket in town, and my wife and I were able to purchase milk, juice, and other food to store in the fridge.

The lobby clerk (not “desk” clerk—the lobby was more interesting than just a check-in desk) knew Gettysburg well, and was able to make several recommendations, including a very nice Chinese restaurant. It also looked like tours could be arranged through the lobby clerk, but we decided to “freestyle” our visit. (By the way, there is a pool. We didn’t use it, but it looked nice.)

If comfort at a value price is what you’re seeking in Gettysburg, you’ll find both at the Three Crowns Motor Lodge.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LKTravelerboy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Not the greatest rooms,but comfortable,right in the middle of everything and the service was top notch! Not to mention free coffee and pastry in the morning!!it was an extremely enjoyable stay!!many places to shop and eat close by,Dairy Queen across the street!

Room Tip: Beds are pretty good size,nothing super fancy,but price was great and service was outstanding! May n...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank unionboy
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I'm not sure if Tripadvisor will let me review a place I didn't stay, but I really want to give some recognition to a great motel manager.

I had a reservation at another motel in town and had checked in and was eating dinner at a local restaurant when Mark, the manager of Three Crowns, called my on my cell phone asking me where I was. I had apparently made a reservation at Three Crowns during the early phases of planning my trip, forgotten about it, and then made a reservation at another place. I couldn't very well argue about it because he did have my phone and credit card numbers.

Mark was very pleasant and understanding about the situation and did not charge me for a no-show. Thanks Mark!!!

I looked up the Three Crowns and I wish I had stayed there, as the other place was not exceptionally great and was quite a bit more expensive. The next time I am in Gettysburg, I will definitely stay at the Three Crowns, Mark

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Ernest S
Chickamauga, Georgia
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was the third leg of our Motorcycle trip through PA. The price was very reasonable but the motel could have used a little updating. The shower especially. The strips in the bathtub were worn down and you had to spread your feet against the sides of the tub just to balance yourself to shower. Very slippery. The room was clean but needed attention.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Euclid, Ohio
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Three Crowns FAR EXCEEDED our expectations, even knowing beforehand of its many positive TripAdvisor reviews! Yes, as the many reviews say, it is very clean (maintained by owner's family), has a tremendous location (right across street from Cemetery Hill and Lincoln's Gettysburg Address memorial), priced far below most others properties (we compared before we booked), and includes other basics (like free continental breakfast, free wi-fi, swimming pool/sun-deck and in-room refrigerator) not necessarily typical of every budget hotel in a tourist town. But what really exceeded our expectations during our four day stay was the approach taken by the proprietor, Mark. Mark runs this inn like its a bed-and-breakfast. He takes a personal interest in every guest, helping them to make the most of their stay, providing helpful advice as needed, always seeking to resolve any issues promptly. Mark and his staff (which includes his family) truly make you feel at home. It's not fancy; it's family. It's more than great basics because they truly care. Without a doubt, we expected to find an inn with a great location at a great price, and did so. But Mark and his staff made the experience so much more, serving as civil war historians, travel guides and familial inn-keepers. We'll happily stay there again on any return trip and advise our friends to do so too. As we were checking out, we heard one guest after another say the same things in different ways. Our experience was as ordinary among Mark's guests as it was extraordinary in the realm of budget inns. Thanks, Mark!

Room Tip: Built as a traditional, one floor motor lodge with two separate wings, the rooms farthest from the r...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GREG M
Mentor, Ohio
Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is a one-story old school motel with regular keys and parking at the door. Very friendly staff. A safe and convenient location right across from the National Cemetery and within walking distance of the restaurants and shops in Historic Gettysburg. A little rusty around the edges but scrupulously clean. We were there at the end of bike week, some of the biker crowd were still there on Sunday night when we checked in. They stayed up pretty late talking and visiting outside but the noise was very muffled inside our room. I had to give this place 4 stars only because her age is showing and the A/C in the room was very loud. We were able to set the controls to maintain a good temp on a couple of really hot, humid days. My husband and I walked so much during the day we slept like logs. However, if you are a light sleeper you might want to take it into consideration. The beds were comfortable and pillows soft. Refrigerator in the room. Outdoor pool, we did not have time to use it. Coffee, juice and pastries in the lobby in the morning. Overall a good value, we would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SallieK
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

If you're coming to Gettysburg for the tourism and not to stay in the hotel all day (why would you) this hotel is perfect. My boyfriend and I got a king room for three nights this month. The room was clean and spacious and perfect to sleep and hang out in to relax between site seeing. It's right in town and right next to or only a short walk to many of the sites. The man at the desk (never did catch his name) was extremely nice and always said hi when he saw us and suggested places to go and things to do. For $65 a night this was a great value and we were glad we chose this hotel. We plan on coming back to Gettysburg again and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014