“You Get What You Pay For”

Budget Host Three Crowns Motor Lodge
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed June 13, 2011

A friend and I wanted to take a weekend girls weekend trip to Gettysburg, We paid around $40.00 per night for our room. The motel is old, the fixtures in the motel are old, however, they were functional. On first appearances, everything looked clean and tidy. However, that evening, sitting on the bed watching TV (of which the remote did not work); there was a ton of dirt and "stuff" - maybe popcorn? under the dresser. After this, I looked around behind the night stand, same thing, dirt. There wasn't anything nasty, the place just needed to have the furniture moved and vacuumed. The sheets did not get changed for the 2 nights we stayed there, but they were clean. The towels were clean also. The small fridge had a broken handle, but did get really cold. We did not have an alarm clock in the room, nor did we have a microwave, both of which were described in the description. The continental breakfast consisted of lousy pastries and weak coffee. We actually ended up walking down the street to a restaurant. The good thing was the loocation. We did not have to move our car once we were there, we walked into and all around Gettysburg.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank LuckyKeymar_MD

Reviewed May 30, 2011

Think you're getting a King bed, think again ( I was told they only have two king rooms, but was assured of one by phone when I made my reservation.) Think you're getting non-smoking, think again. I was informed that my room smelled of smoke because the window was open and people smoke outside of the room. Think you're getting a TV, you will, but it won't work. We barely stayed in this room for our two-day stay. I would have checked out of this nasty mouse dropping infested room (don't even think of looking behind your night stand) had there not been a 7-day room rate guarantee. There's a reason for this policy, everyone probably wants to check out after stepping inside of the room. If this is what $110 will get me, I'd rather go camping where at least I'm sleeping in my tent where I know no one else (dog, person or other creatures) has slept before. Oh yeah, and the 'free breakfast', think again...you can get a better cup of coffee and apricot danish from the mini mart a few blocks away. After staying here, I realized that the location, as reviewed by others, was not all that special...you still need to drive to the national park from any lodging.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Momofbuckeyes
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I'll be honest. I took this place for the price. We didn't need The Ritz, just a basic, clean place to stay. It definitely met those standards. Minutes from the battlefield, and right in the middle of restaurants and shops, it's a very convenient location also. And the owners Mark and Cindy were great, and have done a great job with the place. So if it's inexpensive you want, but also clean and comfortable, don't hesitate!!

Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank chris106707
Reviewed May 23, 2011

This is our second stay at Budget Host in a couple years, and were very impressed with the changes.
Everyone was friendly and efficient, and the rooms were clean. All you had to do was ask for more of anything (towels, etc.), directions, help, they were at the ready!
Location is perfect for walking to so many of the sights.
This place can't be beat for price, location, and friendliness.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Saratoga7
Reviewed May 16, 2011

The Motor Lodge has just been taken over a month ago by new managers and they are really trying to get it into great shape and deserve a lot of praise for the work that they have accomplished so far. We found everything to be outstanding and wanted to praise the new managers - Mark and Cindy and their son - for the excellent job they have done thus far and hope that others will check them out and give them a chance. They are the most accommodating people and very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank MRSSEMISWEET
Reviewed April 18, 2011

This hotel is exactly what you pay for. It's a cheap price and the quality is what pays for that cheap price. Dave, the nice cleaning man, has to clean 28 rooms a day before check in. And being the only one it's a little hard so when you walk into a room of this cheap hotel and find food from a previous occupant don't be surprised. But this hotel was so close to stores and sightseeing places you will not be in your room for long.

Room Tip: Find places with medium prices for medium quality.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ryan19Aurora_Ohio
Reviewed April 4, 2011

My husband and I were traveling with a large group of people for an organized trail ride for the weekend. We checked in to the motel around 8pm and entered our room to find it had yet to be cleaned. The bed was not made (to include the previous guests dirty panties in the sheets), the tub and toilet were NASTY, the trash cans were over-flowing, etc. We were asked to wait an hour in the parking lot while the front desk manager on duty cleaned the room. When we were finally allowed into the room, there was no toilet paper or towels, which meant another trip to the front desk. The next day was the day of our battlefield trail-ride and my husband was in an accident that resulted in the entire day at the hospital and emergency trip back home for surgery. When we checked out of the motel around 5pm, I informed that we would not be needing the room for the evening due to the circumstances. I asked for a refund of the night and was told it couldn't be done because we didn't get ample notice. Had I known we were going to spend the entire day in the ER, I surely would've called ahead. I followed up with the Manager/Owner and explained the situation upon our check-in and the series of events the following day and was told he would refund the nights stay and over a year later, I have yet to see the refund. Had we not had to wait in the parking lot until 9:30pm for a room, I could understand the impact of checking out without notice. But checking out at 5pm for a medical emergency gave the front desk attendant MORE than enough time to clean the room for someone else to rent.
If you take the risk and stay here; I would not sleep in the bed, suggest wearing water shoes to shower, don't go barefoot in the room, pack your own towels, soap and toilet paper and don't touch anything! The front desk staff, including the Owner, were less than helpful and clearly did not care about the guests or providing customer service.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money staying here.
  • Stayed: May 2010