“A Historical Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 25 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Marlboro, New Jersey
“A Historical Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

As a Civil War Buff and lover of old, old historical Inns, I couldn't have found a better place to stay while visiting Gettysburg. This 1809 farmhouse has been added on to, creating a bit of a irregular shaped structure and interior but the Union Cavalry officers stayed there on the night of July 3rd, 1863!! Well that's enough for me! I'm sold!! The decor was great and the innkeepers very sociable providing their own stories of past visitors and past history. The family and I stayed in the Merritt suite which is comprised of two separate rooms. Both room were comfortable and provided a restful night. In the morning, I woke up early to come down to the dining room to listen to what I thought would be just another re-enactor. Instead, I spent a good hour clinging to every word of a former curator of a Gettysburg museum who took his rapt audience though the history of the war before and after the battle. Dressed in period costume and with a soldiers "kit" to boot, his reasoning was that we'd hear all we needed in the park itself that day and he was right! A most excellent talk which you should not miss.
Breakfast was delicious served by very sweet ladies who served your every need. I will stay nowhere else on my future trips to Gettysburg.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Joel R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Just stayed at the Battlefield B + B on March 25-27. I thought the experience was excellent, as did the two people staying with me. The highlight is that they have history programs in the morning from different guides and history workers in the Gettysburg area. I am not a Civil War buff, but I really enjoyed the insights these people had on the battle. The interesting thing was that you get much information at the battlefield, but the inn's presentations focus on other angles, which gives more of a complete picture of what happened in Gettysburg. We stayed in the 1809 section of the house. That area has an old-time feel, with the exceptions of the TV sets and modern bathrooms and gas fireplaces. Still, we liked those amenities. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. The food is very good in the morning. The old part of the building has a ghosty feel - creeky steps and other things. We were there for two nights, and one night we went to the Civil war lecture series the inn is doing. The night we participated was on the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments. The speaker was very knowleable and very friendly. He was a retired judge who does history work in the area. He wanted us to ask questions during the presentation and to share our own insights. We had a nice discussion based on what we had learned at the end of his presentation. We are going back to the inn in the future because of the history focus at the inn. The dress in period dress in the morning, give a history lesson every morning, and have other opportunites for history events at the inn. And, the 1809 house and its barn were there during the battle and used by troops. We recommend the inn.

Room Tip: There are a limited number of rooms in the 1809 section of the inn. We wanted to be in these to get...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Reedybear
White Oak, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I was only here for one day, from the 26th of March until yesterday the 27th then I had to leave earlier then I wanted to meet up with my group. Even still, it was a nice place to stay in and was my first B&B experience. The staff was friendly, the room was nice, and as I walked the grounds yesterday morning before I walked back to where I was heading, they had very nice grounds. I would come back and stay longer next time!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
milford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The accommodations were nice but the owners talk about the Irish was terribly inappropriate. Don't knock the Irish from Maine and New York they were a big part in the winning the war! The facts were inaccurate and the comments were in poor taste.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
6 Thank christine e
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Friendly staff, excellent breakfast, nice quiet location with easy parking. Easy drive to town and the visitors center. We stayed two nights and particularly enjoyed seeing the goats, sheep, ponies and many cats...some friendly

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The first night we stayed there the temperature in the room went down to 50. I guess thats why they keep 5 blankets on the bed. Next morning I complained abouth the temperature in the room and they gave us a portable heater. They said someone must have been playing with the thermostat. Next night the room was 90 degrees even after I unplugged the portable heater they gave us. Also the second night our powere went out twice. The people in the adjacent room lost their power at least three times and they also told me the first night their room was also freezing cold. I could not in good faith recommoedn this place to anyone else.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
7 Thank JOHNNY3366
Lorenerol, Owner at Battlefield Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Unfortunately, the heating system had a malfunction the weekend that this guest stayed. We have remedied this with the guest in question. We immediately got help from a heating specialist that we trust. We are now in the process of adding hardwired baseboard heaters to several of our rooms so that the guests can have individual control over their room temperature. This should not happen again. The project should be complete by March 11, 2013. This should not be a concern in the future. Please feel free to give us a call if you have any questions about this episode. Your innkeeper, Florence Tarbox
Hollywood, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I have been to Gettysburg several time. This was our first trip with our dog in tow. The Battlefield B&B is the ONLY B&B near Gettysburg that is pet friendly. And they really mean it; responsible pet owners and their pets are fully accomodated. We stayed in the Tack Room, which is seperate from the main farmhouse. Very convenient with direct access to the extensive grounds which were excellent for a walk after the fantastic breakfast. The history lecture before breakfast alone is worth the stay at the Inn. The finishings in the room were tastfully done and there was plenty of room for all our needs. Despite the frigid winter temps the room was toasty and they provided an additional heater to keep the beautifully tiled bathroom warm. The experience was fantastic and we hope to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple