“5 Days of Bliss at the Battlefield Bed & Breakfast”

Battlefield Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #6 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Freeport, Maine
“5 Days of Bliss at the Battlefield Bed & Breakfast”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My "first" time at this Inn and in Gettysburg was during the first week of July, and the 149th-anniversary of the Battle back in 1863. I wanted to experience first hand the heat both sides felt during the war. I was not disappointed! It got to be 103-degrees, but I paced myself and had a very educational trip. This B&B is the absolutel best stay I can ever remember. It's like a Midsummer's Night Dream, without Woody Allen. The history lessons, the"yummy" breakfasts, the conversation each and every day with other guests and Florence, Bill, Helen and rest of the staff who cared for us and pampered us was beyond anything I imagined. The cats have eyes like some of the ghost generals that haunt this delightful place. If you think you've lost your childhood innocence due to adult life, I promise...you will find it here. All you have to do when you get out of your car, is look around and "just breathe." The rest will fall into place.

Room Tip: Keep it simple. All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Auburn, Washington
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed here for only 2 nights and wished it was for 2 more! The rooms were delightfully furnished and the parlor was so comfortable. Cookies at night and a good breakfast in the morning. My daughter liked the kittens the very best! and my husband and I loved the morning talks by local historians. If you are lucky enough to stay there, you will never forget it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We found this B&B because we were looking for a place that accepted dogs. We'd stay here even if they didn't accept dogs. This place was like DisneyWorld for our dog who was overwhelmed between the 30 cats, the goats, sheep, horses, donkey, bull frogs and turtles. The inn is lovely and the staff is very accommodating. Breakfast was fabulous both mornings, but the French Toast was especially delicious. They have speaking programs some evenings and before breakfast. The Union Soldier was especially educational. We stayed in the Texas Infantry Room our first night, which was great, but moved to the Tack Room for our second night. I highly recommend it, but there is a rooster in the barn who will wake you up rather early. The only drawback was all the cats because our dog just went nuts when he saw them and it was impossible to keep him from barking anytime we walked him.

Although the Inn is outside town, we liked being away from the congestion and it was an easy trip to through the battlefields and to the Museum Center.

Room Tip: Tack Room is great if you want to be away from the main house. There's a little more privacy an...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lisammc285
Birmingham AL
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We have stayed in the Battlefield B and B on 3 separate occasions.The Inn was a Civil War era farm, the original barn and house are still there. Taking a stroll around the farm is relaxing and beautiful. They serve a delicious breakfast with a fascinating Civil War history presentation offered in the dining room. The cookies are a real treat and there is a never ending supply of coffee, tea or hot chocolate. the rooms are lovely and the staff always friendly, helpful and professional. Located near enough to town to make it convenient but far enough away to give a serene experience after a busy day.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The location on the Emmitsburg Road perfect for access to everything to do with the battlefield. Everything is either 19th Century or made to look so and even with all the memorabilia it was incrediably clean and fresh. The breakfasts were not to be missed as the food and variety was excellent. Perhaps the greatest added value were the morning history presentations. Each of the lecturers brought thier passion for the history of Gettysburg to life and each engaged the guests. We also enjoyed the ghost stories on Friday night but slept through any paranormal activity that may have occurred. The minimum to take in Gettysburg is two full days.

Room Tip: Dragoon was incredibly quiet!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John T
New York
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Let me first start by saying I was very skeptical of my choice for the B & B that "I" selected. I was concerned about the location, room size, bathroom and the fact that this B & B allowed pets. My husband and I are both not dog lovers and we never choose any place that allows pets, but one review said it was not evident pets were allowed, which I can now affirm.nMy husband and I joked that if it was not a good outcome that I would never be in charge of making the selection on where to stay. I can now say that I will be officially in charge. We both loved the choice. The experience was everything and more. My second guessing of whether or not to stay in town or stay at a hotel melted away. The location was perfect. It was quiet and had a wonderful atmosphere. The location is so convenient to the visitors center and town, only a few minutes away. The Gettysburg experience started from the moment we met Sandra at the B & B. She greeted us and showed us around the house before checking us in and showing us our room. Even the additions to this original home had the civil war charm. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms, Lancer's Room. It was on the second floor and had a very private feeling. The room was immaculate (absolutely no evidence of dogs) and had all the amenities needed for our stay. Our bathroom was small but had a bathtub. Other rooms did have larger bathrooms. The queen size bed was firm and comfortable, linens were soft, towels were thick. Central air was a plus, with the thermostat right outside our room. We like our comforts and all of them were met. Our 2 night stay started off with a good nights rest. We woke up both mornings to joining other guests for an outstanding history program in the dinning parlor followed by a wonderful home cooked breakfast. My husband experienced shooting a musket after one of the talks. So many of the guests we met were history lovers like my husband. We even met a couple who participates in reenactments of the civil war around the country. There were some ghost lovers as well. Hot coffee, cold drinks and cookies were available in the afternoon and evening. Based on the comment sheet left for us to complete, it was obvious that the Innkeeper only wanted us to have a positive experience, which we did Gettysburg is a very special experience unto itself and the Battlefield B & B was the cherry on top. We loved it!!!!

Room Tip: .Every room we saw had it own charm. The difference was in the furnishing and space.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lifesbest
Featherstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed in the 5th Lancers Room - the room was awesome! Really comfy - Staff where very helpfull, home from home feel, Food was delicious, the B&B and suroundings where fantasic. Would highly recomend this B&B to anyone visiting in Gettysburg. Isobel & John Matthewman West Yorkshire England

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple