“History Buff's Quiet, Romantic Weekend Getaway”
Review of Baladerry Inn

Baladerry Inn
Ranked #3 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 12, 2009

The Baladerry Inn is the most beautiful, ideally located B&B you could hope for! Such a restful place! My fiancee and I enjoyed a wonderful spring weekend there in April. The grounds were beautiful, the breakfast was finely-prepared and presented, and the innkeeper, staff and guests were nothing short of charming. The Inn offers plenty of space to roam, with lawn and patio areas, a gazebo and tennis court. Rooms are spacious with well-appointed bathrooms and comfortable beds. I would highly recommend the Baladerry to even the most discriminating traveler

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sweetlawgirl03

Reviewed January 1, 2009

Being a historical buff on the civil war and not having been to Gettysburg since I was a boy, I was dying to see the "newly"repaired cyclorama at the new Gettysburg museum.

After searching the tripadvisor on the internet I settled on the Baladerry Inn.

The reviews were great and the location was great as well.

Just outside of town but, close enough to the museum and if you like to shop, the outlets are just up the road.

Suzanne is a wonderful innkeeper and all the rooms are well appointed and cozy with fireplaces,etc.

I purposely picked the first week in December so there would be no crowds at the museum and the town was decked out for Christmas.

You can't go wrong at the Baladerry Inn. Enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank tonybHaddonfieldN_j_
Reviewed November 1, 2008

Pros:
1.) What a great location! This Inn is located about 2 to 3 miles from the center of Gettysburg, which we loved! It was quiet and peaceful. If you want to be right in the action, this Inn is not for you, however, if you want to get some sleep and have a beautuful setting, this is the place! Also, it is about 5 minutes, it that, to the new Visitor Center, which is such a beautiful and informative center. I would recommend the tour with a guide that drives your car, it was actually cheaper than the bus tour and you had the individual attention of the tour guide. It lasts about 2 hours and is well worth it!
2.) The Inn Keeper and staff were very pleasant. We set up our tour and dinner reservations ourselves, however, I did over hear the Inn Keeper assisting other guests.
Pro/Cons:
1.) The Breakfasts were good. I had ask for a protein at each breakfast, stating I needed that for my special diet. I mentioned what I needed, however, I received protein the first day, a bit on the second day and nothing on the third day. Oh, well :-(, I did get my other request though.. Alittle disappointing, however, the breakfasts were tasty.
2.) The room was nice. Overall, clean, however the shower had mold build up, which was unpleasant and a bit gross. We could hear the man downstairs snoring :-) The furniture was fine, no antiques. Oh, no Internet in your rooms, only in the Main House's dining area. And, no TV in your room..Just in case that is important to your stay.
It was hard to give this place only 4 stars for we really did enjoy the Inn and the staff, we just had some disappointing things happen to us. I would recommend this Inn for your stay at Gettysburg-which is a must see Historical Site!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NewJersey_7
Reviewed October 13, 2008

Trip Advisor has become my one stop barometer for locating accomodations and restaurants because every-day travelers (and not advertisers) reveal their unfiltered opinions, preventing a terrible and costly booking mistake.

The highest compliment I can possibly bestow upon a property is that it feels like home. At the Baladerry Inn I felt so much at home that I can honestly say, I did not want to leave. This inn is down the road (within walking distance) from the park entrance and more specifically, Little Round Top. The inn is secluded in a beautiful location away from the high pitched activity in town.

We stayed in the Vines room in the 1812 portion of the home. The room is surrounded by windows allowing in the filtered light from the towering Norway spruce outside - what a calming and peaceful affect. I generally require a sleep aid in order to sleep through the night. Neither my husband nor I required anything of the sort, in fact, we slept so soundly in this comfortable, quiet and peaceful room, it was difficult to arise in time for breakfast each day! My husband who generally feels bed & breakfasts are a huge gamble due to several factors we've encountered in the past, commented that I could not have made a better choice for our stay.

About Suzanne the innkeeper; It will be a very sad day for travelers when Suzanne hangs up the master key for good - let's hope that is not going to happen anytime soon. She is beyond a gem. Every afternoon we would arrive back at the inn to clean up for our dinner after a day of hiking the battlefield, only to find Suzanne in the kitchen pulling a batch of freshly baked cookies out of the oven, or mixing up the batter for the morning coffee cake. Suzanne quickly grew accustomed to my husband's appetite and when he passed through the kitchen "please have a cookie" were the first words she would speak. Suzanne is genuinely interested in every traveler who passes through her inn. Their comfort is her primary goal. She wants to hear about your adventures, and what your plans are for dinner. More than happy for making arrangements and reservations for you, she will also take time out of her busy schedule to chat, give directions, offer advice. She gave us a hot tip on where to find the best apple butter - just a stone's throw away from the inn.

And finally, a word about breakfast; Little did we know what was in store for us! Suzanne out does herself every single day in this category. We sampled some of the highly recommended dining establishments in Gettysburg, and reached the conclusion Suzanne creates the best meals in town and probably the region. Fresh ingredients, clever combinations, and so hardy you may feel lunch is not necessary. Each morning we'd enjoy a fresh baked muffin or coffee cake, fresh fruit, main hot dish, orange juice and bottomless cups of great coffee. If unable to finish the baked goods, the servers were ready to pack up the leftovers for us to take with us on our daily adventure.

Obviously, it is difficult to say enough about the Baladerry Inn. Travelers; book well in advance. This inn is worth every penny.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HonestTraveler124
Reviewed October 7, 2008

My husband and I were celebrating our 10th Wedding Anniversary and wanted to do something small but special. After searching the Internet for Bed & Breakfasts, I just happened upon the Baladerry and knew at a moment that this is where I wanted to spend our anniversary. We could have stayed at a motel for all my husband cared but I wouldn't settle. I called and made the reservation and Suzanne was delightful from the moment she answered the phone. I was not picky about which room and so she placed us in the Daisy room. I also asked her about a ghost tour, she set all that up for us as well.

When we arrived at the Baladerry, I was beside myself. The location is beautiful! Suzanne greeted us the moment we walked in the house and gave us a tour. She showed us to our room and it was absolutely lovely. With mission style furniture and a soft blue wall, it could have been a room out of my house! That made it very comfortable and homey. Some people might not like that, but I could not ask for a nicer room! We had a little patio that looked out on the front lawn and the tennis courts.

Okay, lets talk food! Both mornings, it was a three course breakfast and all of our plates left the table empty. In fact, on Saturday, we did not eat until almost 2pm since our breakfast. And that was after walking around Gettysburg all day! If you go during the spring and summer, I recommend sitting out on the patio for your meal! It was intimate and delightful for us!

The ghost tour that Suzanne set us up with was fun! It was a small group and that made it more personal. My husband swears he something....me....not even a cold chill!

There was plenty of parking. The inn is a little ways out of town but that made the location perfect for us because the area was quite.

I would recommend this Inn to anyone and we are certainly going back!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Charlton1862
Reviewed September 29, 2008

My boyfriend and I decided to take a trip to Gettysburg as a get-away for our two year anniversary. We saw reviews for the Inn and thought it looked like a good choice.

Once we arrived, Suzanne greeted us and gave us a tour of the place. She was very informative including giving us a map of all the attractions in relation to the inn. Everything was very, very clean and the staff was amazing. Each morning they made a three course breakfast which was to die for! I have NEVER in my entire life had a breakfast as good as this. The main area of the inn is very elegant, especially since it's so historic. There was also a balcony overlooking the rest of the main house where we were able to drink wine and play chess... they even had glasses and a cork screw since we didn't bring any.

The grounds of the inn are really well landscaped and it was so secluded and quiet. On the last day of our stay, which was our two year anniversary, my boyfriend decided to pop the question in the gazebo. When Suzanne and her staff found out they took pictures for us and they even gave us one of their coffee cups to remember the day by.

Overall, I was EXTREMELY impressed with the inn. I am so glad we stayed there or else we wouldn't have had such a romantic getaway. Thanks Suzanne and staff!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2008

The Baladerry Inn and the owner Suzanne was a delightful experience. The Inn is has a historical romantic charm in a secluded location very close to the battle field. Our suit was extermely comfortable and very clean, and breakfast was beyond our expectations.

Suzanne and her staff were extremely nice and entertaining.... more, During our stay, due to weather, the guided tours we had planned were cancelled, however, Suzanne provide us with a CD battlefield drive guide so we could continue to enjoy our experience of Gettysburg. This is just one example of excellent customer service over and above providing excellent accomidations.

I have stayed at numerous B&B in Gettysburg, and this has been one of my best experiences so far. Would definately return.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple