“Nice clean rooms but not much else.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gettysburg Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Gettysburg Hotel
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Nice clean rooms but not much else.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

If the price is comparable to other hotels (after you factor in the low cost for parking, the cost for a light breakfast) and if you prefer small town charm/ local restaurants then this might be ok for a short stay. However do not expect anything more then a clean modern room with no atmosphere and with unpleasant staff regardless of the time of day. My issues are as follows: No one greets you upon entering a the hotel. There was an overly bright lobby lacking ambience.There was a beautiful fireplace but that was only lit the first evening of our arrival. As for the back entrance, that was even less welcoming. I was unsure where to go due to a wedding party occupying that entrance. The Front desk are unfriendly and never look up as you pass by. Add on a hotel bar with only one tap working. There is nothing that makes you want to linger. There is not a warm welcome home vibe to this hotel. This is simply just a place to sleep. I would look elsewhere next trip unless I heard new management took over.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
WHGGuestService, Manager at Gettysburg Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for leaving your review with us and the TripAdvisor community. We value all feedback we receive on TripAdvisor as it tells us how we are doing in the eyes of our guests and helps us to constantly improve. I’m glad that you found our rooms clean and that our location on Lincoln Square was ideal for your visit to Gettysburg.

With that said, I regret that our ambiance didn’t meet your expectations throughout your stay. We pride ourselves on our guest service and apologize that your experience didn’t necessarily reflect how great staying at the Gettysburg Hotel can be. Rest assured that we will use your input to make our team more mindful of the shortcomings highlighted in your review.

Again, thank you for your candid feedback. Should your travels bring you back to Gettysburg, I do hope you will return to our hotel and give us an opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to continuous improvement and superior hospitality.

Michael Taylor
Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

This was our second time staying in Gettysburg…we formerly stayed at a lovely B&B and were unable to get reservations so decided to give the Gettysburg Hotel a try! We were traveling with family and we arrived first. To make a long story short, our reservation was under my family member's name…we had trouble finding our reservation and the lady at the front desk was a little short and rude with me while trying to figure it all out for 20 minutes. It was a little frustrating starting our weekend away like this! After we got it all situated, though, we went up to our room and from then on, I decided to speak with someone else with any needs I had the remainder of the stay.

We stayed on the third level and the room was quite spacious with a sitting area and a separate bedroom. We faced the street and like many other reviewers have said, it was a little loud at night. I am a heavy sleeper so it didn't bother me. The room was pretty basic, but clean. The toiletries provided were pretty nice quality! We missed having some of the special touches and were disappointed that there wasn't much 1800's charm found within our room and within the entire hotel. It has been renovated and they have incorporated some modern touches throughout…people come to Gettysburg to go back in time and relive the late 1800's. It would have been nice to see that incorporated throughout the building more.

The hotel's restaurant was very good. I had their onion soup and spinach salad one night. The spinach salad was quite large but very good and the onion soup was yummy! Their breakfast was basic but good!

The parking was located in a garage behind the hotel. You have to pay $10 a day to park which apparently used to be free? I think this should be included in your night's stay!

The location was great! Lots of restaurants and cute shops to check out! We enjoyed some of the wine tasting rooms that were only steps away!

Overall, it was a good place to stay in Gettysburg, but I would have much preferred one of the quaint bed and breakfasts that provide more personal and unique experiences! I DO think this hotel has the potential to provide some of this for their guests.

Room Tip: Try to book a room on the side NOT facing the street if you are a light sleeper!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lauren P
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

A great stay and a great location in Gettysburg. The Hotel has been remodeled and looks fantastic, although, i must abmit, being a civil war nut, the hotel has lost most of its 1863 charm for me.Rooms are large and roomy, bathrooms are clean and updated, staff is helpful and friendly. Parking is $10 per day in parking garage

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kurt L
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

We recently stayed 5 days at the Gettysburg Hotel and loved it. Initially,we had a difficult time deciding where to stay and finally decided on the Gettysburg Hotel despite it's relatively poor ranking (14th),but we were so pleased that we did. It's a wonderful historic hotel but in excellent condition. The room was very comfortable and the service by all the staff outstanding. The location is the best; close enough to the battlefields but right in the middle of town and so close to many good restaurants. However, this location being on the town square does result in some traffic noise but did not bother us. Parking is directly behind the hotel and more than adequate. We will definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it without reservation.

Room Tip: If street noise bothers you, request a room in the back.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

This was the first time I've stayed at this hotel, so I don't have a reference for it's "pre-renovation" condition that some refer to. I found the hotel to be clean and the staff very friendly. It is in the center of the town making the shops and local restaurants within walking distance. My room was a suite, so it had a sleep sofa and a queen bed. The room was good size, and I like the fact that the actual bedroom had a door making both sleeping areas an appropriately "private' bedroom. The room with the sleep sofa was the "living room" and efficiency kitchen area. The room was clean as was the bathroom with nice quality toiletries supplied. As mentioned, the room had a microwave, coffee maker, and a refrigerator which was convenient for leftovers. I'd say the only thing negative to report was that the sofa bed could have been more comfortable. I traveled with a friend, so I did use it for sleeping myself. Other than that, do expect to hear street noise if your room is facing the street as mine was. I considered this the price to pay for the convenience of staying literally on the main traffic circle in the town. The windows don't seem to be new, so I felt a cold draft coming in as it was in the 30's during the day. However, this was offset by heavy drapes and an efficient heating system so I slept comfortably at night. The public parking garage the guests are directed to use is convenient, although I do agree it would be useful to include in and out privileges for the hotel guests. Since I only stayed one night, I didn't have a problem with paying more than the $10 per 24 hours since I didn't move the car after parking it the first time. If you move your car, the rate is 75 cents per hour so it's reasonable enough. The garage is behind the hotel so it's not far and you can unload your luggage at the hotel first before parking your car. There is a back door to the hotel, making access to the garage very easy. I did not eat in the restaurant so can not comment on that. I did have after dinner cocktails in the bar and found the drinks and prices to be agreeable and the service efficient. As I stayed at this hotel in December, it wasn't really crowded at that at that time. I would stay at this hotel again, but stay in an inside room, if available, to decrease the sound of the street noise.

Room Tip: Our corner suite was good size and had a sleep sofa, but be prepared to hear noise with the room fac...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Had stayed at this hotel many times over twenty years. We loved the historic feel and romance of the place. Dec 2013 was our first time staying since the renovation. Outside it is still an historic hotel. Inside - it could be any hilton, doubletree, clarion, etc., you would find anywhere else. The lovely old furnishings and light fixtures in the lobby areas and bar/dining room have been replaced by modern light (maple?) wood and chrome, the lobby desk replaced by a modern verson. The dining room used to have large stuffed chairs and dark wood tables, and the fireplace gave off a romantic glow while you had dinner or just a glass of wine with your honey. Now It is more suited to the retirement community early-bird special. They've broken through the wall behind the fireplace, installed diner booths down one side and even during the dinner hour and late night, the track lighting gave the place a brightness like the sahara at noon. The fireplace has been blocked by a modern maple hightop table that sits 6-8. In fact, during our stay when the town when the town had their Christmas parade, none of the three public fireplaces (lobby area and dining room) were in use. So disappointing.
Parking is an issue. The hotel used to pay for their guests parking in the municipal lot behind the hotel. Now you have to pay $10 per day and there is no in and out privilege. So it you go out to drive the battlefield in the morning, then come back and park and then drive out for dinner you have to pay each time you leave.
I give the hotel 2 stars because the "modern" rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. The bath was clean but you can't turn off the fan without turning out the light which is a noise problem, and it wasn't heated; the stone floors were ice cold.
While the hotel is centrally located and convenient to downtown activities, if you want historic or romantic - go with one of the charming B&Bs. If you want modern hotels, go with one out on the bypass where you don't end up paying everytime you leave the parking lot and probably get a cheaper rate.
Whoever took over this hotel has ruined its character and completed obliterated all the romance. After visiting for over twenty years, not sure we'll go back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank M C M
Silver Spring, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed here in late August in order to explore this historic area. The hotel staff was very helpful and the rooms are a good size and very clean. The hotel is located in the center of town on the old town square which makes it easy to access all the important sites. This is a classy establishment with easy access to restaurants (the hotel has it's own restaurant which is very good) and shops. Parking is behind the hotel in the city's covered garage and the cost is reasonable. There is access to the garage through the hotels rear door. All in all this hotel is a good value stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends