“Very Good But Could (Easily) Be Better”
Review of Gettysburg Hotel

Gettysburg Hotel
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel has a great look and ambiance. It's location in the historic centre of this historic town cannot be beat. I understand it has been recently upgraded and actually it shows. The place is clean and bright. We were upgraded to a junior suite that is in a newer annex near the historic train station. The restaurant on site (One Lincoln) is great and you are in walking distance to Garyowens Pub on Chambersburg Road (about a block and a half away) that has great food and Murphy's on tap. The things that can be improved are: the helpfulness of the staff on the desk, the gym and the soundproofing in the guest rooms. The staff didn't seem to know much about the town (they couldn't tell us where to get an SD card for our camera [there is a 7-11 a block away] and couldn't tell us where to get stamps for our postcards [the post office is less than a mile away on Buford Road on the way to Seminary Ridge]). The gym is not upgraded, it's small and under equipped. The main issue is the soundproofing. Gettysburg seems to attract a fair number of motorcycles and they frequently disrupted sleep. The windows need to be upgraded and obviously have not been. All this aside, the ambiance and location make this a solid choice for a Gattysburg visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JamesII
WHGGuestService, Manager at Gettysburg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Hi James - The photos you’ve shared with the TripAdvisor community are brilliant! I really appreciate that you took the time to post them and provide feedback for both the TripAdvisor readers and my team at the hotel. We use our reviews and comments as a tool to always improve and your review provided some really good points that we’ll be working on with our associates.

Sometimes the brilliance of our location can be a concern for guests that prefer a very quiet room and I’m sorry we didn’t match you up with a room that better suited your needs. A top tip that I can pass along to you and the TripAdvisor readers is to reach out to us when you make your reservation. We do our best to honor requests for rooms on the side of the hotel away from the square. Those rooms can offer a better sleeping experience for anyone not used to the hustle and bustle of a downtown location.

I do hope that you will return to our lovely historic town and visit us again at the Gettysburg Hotel.

Susan Perrothers

Write a ReviewReviews (1,132)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Easy access to everything Gettysburg has to offer. Hotel has just been refurbed and is lovely. The furnished are very nice, just wish they had stuck to more time period furniture. It 's very nice, just looks a bit Z Gallery decorated. Only wish they had bell hop service and valet parking.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Your comments have not gone unnoticed and I truly appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on TripAdvisor!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent a very nice night in the centrally located Gettysburg Hotel. It was close to everything and we enjoyed walking in the evening through the town. The room was great, fireplace, facing the circle, nice tub, very large and freshly renovated. We had a very good meal in the resturuant connected to the hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a nicer room...worth the money.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for letting us know that your visit to Gettysburg and you stay at the Gettysburg Hotel was great! It seems that you were able to find the perfect room to suit your needs. I’m thrilled as well to read that dining at One Lincoln was a pleasant experience for you! Next time you head east from Ohio, I hope you visit us again!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel several times. The hotel dates back to Civil War days and has much character and plenty of amenities. Its location in the center of town is close to the Battlefield park and also to quaint shopping. The rooms are spacious, clean and newly remodeled. The water presuure in the rooms is OUTSTANDING. The staff is friendly and professional. The rates are reasonable. Parking is a snap and free.

Room Tip: A room facing the square is a little noisier than one not facing the square.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Michael B
WHGGuestService, Manager at Gettysburg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Michael, we really appreciate the five star review. The information and room tip you’ve shared with the Trip Advisor readers is quite fantastic – thank you.

I did want to take an opportunity however to let the Trip Advisor community know that there is fact a fee for parking. Parking is available behind the hotel in the municipal garage at $8.00 per day with validation from our front desk. A special package or rate may include parking, so that may be something to look into while considering your stay with us.

Thanks again for your kind works and I hope you can return to Gettysburg soon.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Sorry no ghosts, however we stayed in the newer part of the hotel! There was the smell of paint in the hallways, and the floorboards in the actual room creaked.... The weird thing was when I was awoken during the night by my neighbors (I presume) walking in their rooms.... Kinda creepy! Overall a nice place & room. Certainly an ideal location, directly in the square with a parking garage behind the building. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Deb R

Thank you for the review Deb! Our renovations have updated the décor of our hotel, but the qualities that make it truly historic and unique certainly remain. Creaky floors and unique architectural details are just some of the charming features found at the heart of every stay at the Historic Gettysburg Hotel that travelers won’t find anywhere else in the area.

I wish you safe travels and do hope you’ll return for another stay with us soon.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here a week as part of a Road Scholar group from March 24th to the 29th that spent the week studying and exploring sites of the Civil War. Hotel was outstanding. Hotel was just completing a massive upgrade and updating. Very elegant. The outside is very historic (established in 1797), but the inside was brand new. They are now a part of The Historic Hotels of America chain (previously they had been part of Best Western).

My room was spacious, very attractive, and bed was super-comfy, and I particularly appreciated the new heating and air-conditioning system (it snowed 2 inches one day we were here and then turned warm). Room had a brand-new flat screen TV with a great selection. Everything was perfect. Housekeeping was great; room was spotless, even provided extra fancy shampoo! Front desk staff was very nice, friendly and accommodating (allowed a late check-out). Staff was very helpful as to suggestions, directions, etc. Several of the staff inquired as to whether I was happy with the room and could they do anything else to be of service. WOW!

Location cannot be surpassed; right downtown on the square (circle), overlooking the Willis House where Lincoln stayed the night before giving the Gettysburg address. Lots of shops and places to eat nearby, but I mostly ate right there at the Hotel (food was exceptional).

Everyone in our group thought that this was a great place. I particularly appreciated the hi-tech screen adjacent to the lobby that provided driving directions, weather, etc. There was also a PC / business center for those who elected not to bring their own devices. Besides the lobby, the restaurant and bar is attached (which was nice when it was snowing).

While staying here, check out the fancy ballroom and the dining area within the vault (at one time, this place was a bank). Stunning and historic.

Since it is right in town, parking is in a garage right behind the hotel. Staff did an excellent job or explaining how it worked. It was not an issue. Our parking was included, but otherwise costs about $8 a day. Garage was clean and well-lighted.

I highly recommend this place. Frankly, I'm surprised by some of the negative comments on Trip Advisor because our entire group (20 individuals) all thought this was an excellent place, clean, modern and great service. It appears that they have just recently completed an upgrade of the facilities, hired a new chef (food was great) and made other changes to make this a better destination. I will definitely plan to stay here again when I return to Gettysburg.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from cars around the circle. Rooms in front have an outstanding view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CynthiafromOhio2011

Cynthia, it was an absolute pleasure to read this thorough review of your week-long stay with us at the Gettysburg Hotel. It’s especially meaningful to get such a positive endorsement and glowing remarks from a seasoned traveler and Trip Advisor Top Contributor.

I’m thrilled that you and your group were pleased with our accommodations and the service you received. Our associates will be beaming from ear to ear when I read this review and acknowledge their hard work at our next staff meeting. Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

I do hope you’ll be able to visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

At the center of town, close to shops and restaurants; short drive to visitors center/cemetary and battlefield locations. Traveled with adults and children and all were satisfied. The room is adequate - suite with pull out and separate bedroom; two flatscreeen TVs. Roomy enough. You cannot beat the value for a hotel and not a motel in Gettysburg. Rooms on Carlisle Road side are noisy at night - bar across the street and railroad tracks make for late night and early morning traffic noise. Recommend room on inside or facing Lincoln Square. Parking is easy and convenient right behind the hotel in a covered garage. Pool is only outdoor so it wasn't open during our stay. My only complaint (other than outdoor noise coming in) was that the cleaning wasn't as thorough as I would expect - garbage in our room on arrival and lack of attention to detail by cleaning staff. We did not eat at the restaurant. All in all, I would go back again and would recommend The Gettysburg Hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from outside facing rooms on Carlisle Road side of the building (rear).
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Qualiteer

I truly appreciate the honest and objective constructive feedback of Trip Advisor. Thank you for both your positive compliments and also letting us know where we can do better. With feedback like yours we’re able to consistently improve. I hope that you do have an opportunity to return for another say with us so we can earn that extra fifth circle on that review. Safe travels!