“Bring Ear Plugs & Gas Mask”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Drummer Boy Camping Resort
Rhode Island
“Bring Ear Plugs & Gas Mask”
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Having read other reviews which mentioned the road noise and poor service I should have been warned but since the campground is so HUGE I decided to take a chance. I must agree with others, despite the 400 sites covering acres of ground I would estimate that at least 90% are subjected to constant and often irritating noise from the highway which runs parallel to Drummer Boy. It is impossible to say the sites are quiet, I could not use a portable TV outside and had to sleep with the windows closed and AC cranked all night. Having said that, the sites do have a fair amount of shade, although the leaves from last fall still cover most bare ground. We did not use the pools but they appear to be clean and heavily used by kids. The waterslide looks nice but they do charge a fee for using it and it is not available during some hours. The campground has a LOT of seasonal RVs and loads of golf carts are running around at all hours, often being driven by teens so beware! There is NO gate and we saw several instances of people driving cars around who asked us how to get back to the main road, so be forewarned that the lack of security coupled with the size of the campground and positioning of some sites could be a potential for theft, just my observation. We often walked around the campground during the evening and both of us commented about the strong septic type odors and I noticed that some areas near drain pipes were wet although the weather was hot and dry. There are about a dozen holding tanks, about 20 feet high, which I believe store waste from campsites, these tanks pose an ugly view for a number of sites not to mention the odors. So my advice for future campers at Drummer Boy is to enjoy but be aware and bring ear plugs for the road noise and perhaps a gas mask to control the stench in some areas.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 12, 2010

It was not a busy time of year yet. Camp sites are decent size, mostly nicely wooded. Bath house we used was very clean. It's got nice areas to walk, i.e. on the gravel raods and a couple 'trails' - lots of birds, for birdwatchers. The pond is neat.
They could use a little spiffing up to make the campsites a little 'more defined' from the gravel roadways, particularly in the further back areas where it looks like a lot of sites are new.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
maryland
Reviewed October 12, 2009

How do you call it a camping resort? It should be called Drummer Boy Sewage Factory. Half the campground smells like sewage. It is horrible!! I don't know what they do there, but they must love the smell. I have been several times this year and it is not something new. They also have no security!! On Friday night there was a bunch of rude drunks who were very loud, very drunk, and going crazy for half the night. These creeps brought some ancient weird looking golf carts and were racing them at 1am. Tried to call the office to see if anyone was there, but no answer! Go to the office to look for an emergancy # and nope, they dont have one. I guess they don't care if there is a problem after hours, they already got paid. For the amout of money they charge there should not be a sewer smell, the grounds should look nice (the grass was not mowed either, limbs were down all over, we had to clean up before we could set up,etc) there should be security or someone to kick out the loud drunks at 2am, etc. I will not be back!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank wdwfan2009
York, PA
Reviewed September 8, 2009

First I would like to stay that we have been stayed at this campground for several years, however we are compelled to let other's know that we are now very disappointed with Drummer Boy and feel that this camping "resort” has definitely gone downhill!

Let me begin by explaining what my reservation process consisted of. When I phoned to inquire about open sites, there was a very rude woman who rattled off a few site numbers. It almost appeared that we were bothering her by calling and inquiring about available sites. Since we have a very small camper that does not have air conditioning I asked if our site was shaded. The reservation specialist answered by saying “We have almost 400 sites here and I do not have them memorized as to if they are shaded or not.” I then proceeded to ask if in general our site was going to be in an area of trees rather than an open field type area. She then proceeded to tell me that there were plenty of mature trees in the vicinity of our site, but she could not tell me if our camper would be completely shaded, and if we arrived and were not happy with our site there would be no refund. Well as you can tell, I had a very nasty taste in my mouth to begin with. I should have just ended the telephone call and inquired into another campground. But we have been to Drummer Boy before and have been quite pleased so we went ahead with the reservation.

On our arrival day we were anxious to check in at 3:00 p.m. so we could get to our site and change into our bathing suits to go to the pool. We went to the pool nearest to the Office, but were horrified when we saw the site of the water. It was very cloudy and altogether thilthy. We decided to jump in anyway and try it out. We were absolutely horrified at the condition of this pool. There is absolutely no way that this pool can pass any type of regulations that are imposed upon public pools! We were also very disappointed that for whatever reason, the hot tub was roped off and closed down!

I would also like to comment that I think it is absolutely ridiculous that you are charged an additional fee to use the water slide at the second pool. After we have already paid ridiculously high rates for camping, I think the water slide should be included for FREE! Do not waste your money buying wrist bands for the slide it is not worth it!

I would also like to comment on the condition of their “impeccably clean, modern restrooms” that they advertise. Since our camper is very small we need to use the restroom/shower facilities. The facilities were absolutely thilthy! Quite honestly, again, if they were to be inspected by any kind of state organization the establishment would be closed down.

Save your money and find some other place to camp rather than Drummer Boy Camping "Resort"!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Blkkats
york pa
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Boy do I wish I would have read this BEFORE I booked my reservations. Everything you read here is absolutely true! This place is out of control! We could have stayed in a nice hotel for the money we sunk into this campground! And anything additional you wantd to do (silly little miniture golf and a water slide pool which is really not all that great anyway) was extra $ per day! Loud noise from the highway. RUDE RUDE RUDE lady in the office! Even guests around us were talking about how expensive it was - and for what??? I've seen and been to much better campgrounds!!!

We have been here in the past when it was nice. This new management is horrilbe. They ran this place into the ground.

We are NOT going back. And recommending our camping family and friends save some money stay at one of the other nice campgrounds in Gettysburg!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank rdogcabin
Belle Vernon, PA
Reviewed August 16, 2009

We had booked this camping trip to historical Gettysburg back in January of this year. The trip was from Aug.10 through the 16th. I had requested that we have a roomy site, as some reviews indicated that the sites were small & cramped together. I was assured that I would be placed on a large site, and if I was not satisfied that there would be other sites to choose from.
We arrived on Aug. 10, and were told that we were at site RG. A pull through site that pulls out to the campground driveway. We went to the site, and did not care that it was located so close to a 4 lane highway (HWY#15). There was ALOT of road noise.
We then went to the office to inquire about getting moved to a different campsite. The girl at the counter had an attitude like we were bothering her. She gave two other site choices that we could choose from. One of which was at the far end of the campground in a new section that looked like a stone quarry more so than a campground. The other was located along side the maintenance building, where our awning would certainly almost touch once extended. So we opted to stay at originally assigned site #RG.
As stated, the site is located along the "driveway" to the campground which has over 300 sites. The driveway has a bend just before our campsite, so each vehicle that had returned to the campground each night after dark had blinded us with it's headlights. Imagine relaxing next to the campfire each night, listening to the roar of the vehicles on HWY#15, as your temporarily blinded by each passing vehicle. What a relaxing camping trip! Also since the site was a pull through, there were a few instances when people joy riding on their golf carts felt that it was O.K. to pass through our site, that's just poor campground etiquette which should be explained when renting out the golf carts.
I usually use the bathhouses for showering when camping, because the shower in our travel trailer is small. I did not use the bathhouse at this campground. There was a buildup of some sort of mildew or mold in the corners of the tiles in the showers. It just wasn't clean.
The new pool with the water slide was nice. To ride the slide you had to purchase a $10.00 ride all day bracelet. We had noticed a person wearing a different bracelet to access the slide, and had asked about it. She advised that it was a week long pass. We were staying at the campground for a week so figured we would look into the weeklong pass, but were advised by the rude female at the desk that the week long passes were only available to people staying in the cabins.
The front swimming pool was nice, but the hot-tub was full of cold water.
The campground store is outrageously overpriced. I can see paying a little extra at a campground store, but the prices were ridiculous.
There are definately no complimentary perks to staying at this campground, this place is all about $$$. The employees are not helpful, and down right rude. The prices are high, and the level of service is low. The lifeguards at the pool were the only pleasant employees that we had come across.
We had devoted an afternoon to going around the area checking hout other campgrounds, because we will definately be going back to Gettysburg again someday, but will NEVER AGAIN stay at the Drummerboy.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank naylor856
Sykesville, Maryland
Reviewed August 2, 2009

All experiences at this campground were pleasant, except for one. We had planned to tent camp and when we got to the campsite my daughter saw a snake. Freaked her and myself out so we ended up renting a cottage ( pricey but nice). Every employer we came across were friendly and helpful. Check in and checkout were pleasant. Pool by the office was nice. Sitting around the campfires in the evenings is the best part, I think. I honestly don't understand all the negative comments. We are not every weekend campers but have camped a few times and I have to say it was no better or no worse than the others we've visited. I don't see any reason to avoid this campground.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family