“Been camping here for 30 yrs...now we will look elsewhere”

Drummer Boy Camping Resort
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My family has been camping at Drummerboy for 30+ years. Recently they have changed a lot of their policies and we will be looking elsewhere for next year. We are quiet family campers but Drummerboy is getting too expensive due to their policy changes. Our money will go further elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LovinLife2gether09

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was very skeptic about our upcoming weekend getaway because of the bad reviews I read. We went with two other families (11 total) and stayed in one of the 3 bedroom deluxe cabins. The cabin was clean, the kitchenette had all of the important and useful kitchen items except for an oven, the bedrooms were clean. We did have to bring sheets for the bunk beds, the bedrooms were clean and tidy. You could tell that the corners of the bedrooms were dusty and had cob-webs so it may not have been cleaned as often as I would have preferred. The living room did have a small TV, an uncomfortable pull-out couch and a dinning set for 6 people. We were surprised that the RV camper was right outside of our cabin- as much as we paid, I thought we would have just a bit more privacy but their RV was next to our cabin. The outside had 2 picnic tables and the fire pit along with an outdoor grill.

We had a great weekend visiting the sites in the area and the campground was very clean and all around quiet. The people who rented golf carts were a bit crazy and kids were standing and hanging off the sides. The pool areas were kept nice and clean, however the price for the slide was ridiculous. I think that if you rent a cabin for 3 nights/full weekend, as expensive as the cabin was, it should at least include tickets to the minigolf and the slide. During our time there, I only saw about 3 people on the slide. I believe that the campground should really remove the fee for the slide and mini golf as it is an amenity of the campground.

The activities that the campground promoted were obsolete and we did not get hear or get much information about the activities they had for kids- plus there was an extra fee for the activities.

All around- it was a nice, clean campground. Our cabin was nice and tidy. I would recommend that the campground change the policy on having guest pay for a slide that many did not use, remove the costs for the minigolf as it should be included and clean the public restroom. The golf cart rentals were also pretty astronomical and someone should really consider bringing the cost down for that. We were very lucky having our own bathroom in our cabin but one of our friends had to use the public restroom during a walk and it was horrific. He said that he could tell that it hadn’t been cleaned in days. Those public restrooms should be cleaned regularly for sanitary reasons and the fact that they are near other cabins and tent areas. Basically you are paying for either a cabin, tent spot or RV spot and nothing else is included. It should be called “resort” if most of the amenities are not included.

Room Tip: Request handicap 3 bedroom deluxe cabin- adds a little more room with a ramp to help with strollers...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MDfamily4
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

I will be,the first to admit i rrally didnt want to go beciase of all the bad reviews but my husband talked me into becuase of elvis weekend! First off our site was huge the kids had a blast wit the activtes. The office staff was helpfull and tended to customers quickly, golf cart made it easy to get around, rt 15 traffic noise could hear a lil bit but was still a good time. Saturday night we ate hotdogs and listen to elvis perform. The girlS and activtes cordnator were very nice and had everything we needed. we will be returning very soon. Thanks

Patty&joe

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank purplepride18
Reviewed September 12, 2012

This camping resort was a very peaceful, relaxing place to put your feet after walking the battle field all day. We rented a golf cart, which made going from the two pools, hot tub and our cabin alot nicer. The cabin was very nice, and very clean. It had a full set of dishes and cookware. The porch on the cabin made sitting and eating outside a joy. The Camp ground was only mins from the battle field and the town of Gettsburgh, which ment that we were able to come back to the cabin for lunch and dinner. A big plus! All in all i would stay at the Drummerboy Camping Resort again, and hope to very soon! {A} rating

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

We went here the week of Easter. We have an RV and LOVED the space each spot had. We took our 8 & 11 yr old to the make an Easter bag. First of all the activities lady was RUDE. She DID NOT have enough supplies for everyone and started yelling in front if the kids that had she of known how many kids were coming she would have bought more supplies. Well when u ck in don't u have to tell if u have kids coming? The Easter Egg hunt for the kids was awful. They used real eggs and all the kids didn't get prizes unless u got a special egg. Well of course the older kids got the special eggs. We were so frustrated by the activites director we left early. It was a huge issue for me as a mom and we will not be back which is a shame since the place is huge.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My wife, two teenage children, and myself love this place. Soooooo Relaxing and Enjoyable. You can do a lot here or do very little here and have a blast. Very friendly and helpful staff. This is the second summer in a row that we vacationed here, and will return again and agian. Keep up the great job. A great place to sit back and unwind! We love the entire Gettysburg Experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I arrived at Drummer boy campground on August 6th at 4 pm. We got settled into our cabin (cabin number 1) and as the night went on we realized more and more bugs kept appearing throughout our cabin. Uncertain what kind of bugs we were dealing with we took a walk to the office but it was closed, walked all around the campground looking for security or anybody who worked there or anywhere to get an emergency contact number and it was hopeless. My boyfriend and I decided to try to sleep and get in touch with someone first thing in the morning. 5 minutes after the lights were out in the cabin we became itchy and kept feeling pinches all over our bodies. I sprung up to flick the light on and as we know it there were hundreds and hundreds of the same brown oval bugs sprawled through out our sheets, pillow cases, sleeping bag, blankets and hundreds more on each side of the mattress. Come to find out the cabin was INFESTED with bed bugs! One of the worst problems to have! We drove up and down the campground trying to find somebody to help, trying to find an emergency line number but there was nobody to help us. After the money we had already spent on the cabin we had no choice but to leave all of our belongings and luggage on the porch and get into a hotel ASAP. When we woke up the next morning we notified the campground immediately. Although they remburised us for our stay at the hotel, they did nothing for us but claim to have dried our luggage and offer us free golf carts and passes for the week! The general manager was rude and basically shook off our situation. We were denied reimbursement and lost everything we owned due to this infestation! We have lost over 2 thousand dollars worth of stuff and there was nothing to be done for us! Save yourself the trouble! Don't stay there! Now my boyfriend and I have to be worried about taking it back to our homes and spreading the infestations. It was the worst experience of my life and I want everyone to be aware of how horrible this campground is! These bugs were coming from every crack of wood and our wooden bed post! Im afraid for other families to stay at the drummer boy campground! The infestation will only spread! Plus they transferred us to cabin five while trying to recover what we can of our belongings! Good luck but hopefully you'll look elsewhere for
campgrounds!