“1860's dining”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
New Hampshire
“1860's dining”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Located in Gettysburg, and just outside of the battlefield area. This Inn served as a snipers post during the battle. The exterior is pocked marked with bullet holes and some tables have a view of bullet holes. It is said to be the most haunted building in Gettysburg.
BUT that didn't stop us from dining there. The fare is mostly traditional that would have been found during the 1860's. Their specialty is a Game Bird Pie which is excellent. A combination of game birds, vegetables, and rice all under a pasty topping. Meals come with spoon bread, fresh baked bread, apple butter, and unique vegetable choices.
The dining room is not large so make a reservation. There is also an outside dining/bar area for fair weather dining.

Visited June 2014

Pennsylvania
“Good sandwiches; cold beer. Any questions?”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

After a long day in Gettysburg, we were feeling parched and were looking for some simple food and cold drink, and this place hit the spot. The chicken flatbread sandwiches with coleslaw were very good, and the beer was cold; had a second one just to be sure. The homemade potato chips were good and salty. They're down an alley next to the Farnsworth House, and they've got souvenirs from the Gettysburg movie in a case on their wall. We weren't looking for elegant; we were looking for good sandwiches and cold beer. Wussies should go elsewhere.

1 Thank Fenuzio
Pennsylvania
“AWFUL LOUD AT THE BAR....”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stopped in for a drink on a Saturday evening and the service was great. Only problem was the people across the bar from us. They were that loud, we drank one and left. Don't get me wrong, I realize that after a certain time it might be noisy, but this was early evening. This is a small place with no backward noise, why yell to the person next to you???? We should have sat outside...

Washington, Pennsylvania
“Not impressed at all.”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We ate in the Sweeney Tavern and I wasn't impressed in the least. The service was not up to par as our food didn't come out together. Our waitress was clueless about the menu as she couldn't answer even the simplest of questions. Originally I ordered the prime rib and of course asked how I would like it prepared and I told her rare. About 15 mins later she came out to inform me the chef wouldn't/ couldn't prepare it that way and it would only be done medium. So I ended up ordering the sirloin which I could get medium rare. My fiancée ordered the Scallops they were okay but not $ 27.00 "ok". I am not used to traveling or being around children, but this trip a good friend of mine and his two kids tagged along on this trip and the waitress couldn't even find high chair for the kids. That made the experience even worse as the kids had a hard time sitting still in a regular chairs and couldn't sit and eat. I cannot recommend this place to others as I will not be eating there again. There are better places to eat around town.

Hartford, Connecticut
“Terrible food”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Very disappointing experience. Garden is pleasant, chairs are very uncomfortable. Salad was wilted and brown, dinner was overpriced. Worst meal we had in Gettysburg.