“Historic Dinner”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We were in town for a wedding with just a few hours to "tour" downtown. It was a Thursday in early april, before they're big tourist season, so they had a limited menu. It's a kitschy place with servers in historic attire and movie replicas on the walls. The food and service was excellent. Unfortunately it was a little chilly out because we would have loved to have sat outside to eat in the cute garden area. Will definitely go back if ever in the area again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed June 9, 2014

I'd eaten in the front dinning room before but never the tavern, and now I know why. Menu was exactly the same. If you're going to a pub or "tavern" you expect that style food, right? Not here. Plus you don't even get everything the menu says you should. With each entree you are supposed to get a "spoon bread" and a "Jennie Wade roll" to share. There were 2 of us so you would think a spoon bread for each of us and a roll, didn't happen. Instead we got A spoon bread (no spoons to eat it with) and no roll. When the order came out a side dish was missing and the server just dropped the food and ran.Our server was horrible. She had the manner of a over worked lunch lady and when we questioned where the rest of the order was she got defensive and said she did bring everything out. Won't go there ever again. Go to the front dinning room. Better service for the same food and price.

1  Thank ryokoforlife
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Ate at the Farnsworth House for dinner. The food was very good. Even though they had run out of two of the flatbreads I had wanted to try (Louisiana and Georgia) I settled on the Maine Flatbread. it was good. My son ordered a cheese pizza. It was big for one person to eat. Had to take some home. The Spoon Bread, Meat Pie and Bread Pudding were outstanding. I would recommend those along with pumpkin fritters and pickled watermelon rinds. They do sell a cookbook with some of those recipes in them. Unfortunately, the Spoon Bread and the Meat Pie is not in the cookbook. The service was rather slow and sometimes unattentive. The wait staff is dressed in Civil War period dress. Made you feel like you were back in the Civil War.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband and I visited the Sweeney Tavern as they now call it, just renamed as to one of the original owners. Very friendly staff and atmosphere. you can gab a bite to eat or just have a cocktail.

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

They really have something for everyone with the outside beer patio, the patio bistro, tavern for bar fare and the fine dining restaurant. For unique options, I recommend the peanut soup, pumpkin fritters, an picked watermelon rind.