“Nice Outside Seating area.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Farnsworth House Tavern
Ranked #15 of 128 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Binghamton, New York
“Nice Outside Seating area.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our first evening in Gettysburg we decided to enjoy the beautiful day and eat outside at the Farnsworth. We had our 3 year old grand-daughter and thought it would be a good option for her as she could look at the garden and ponds while waiting for dinner.

Our server was very sweet and helpful. She constantly checked on us and was more than helpful when my grand-daughter spilled her chocolate milk!

Food was decent overall and reasonably priced.

While you are there take the time to visit the ponds are gardens. Very pretty and way in the back is a wall of bird houses!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank joenronnie

Linthicum, MD
“Good food but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We ate here on a recent trip to Gettysburg PA. In the past it has normally been very full and required a wait but today we were able to walk right in. The appetizer we had was very good, a shrimp chowder, and so was the bread with apple butter they served before the meal. The main course, however, was not so good. I had their signature dish, the game pie and my wife had the meatloaf. Neither of these dishes were very good. The game pie was down right awful. The service and ambiance was very good. I would go back, I just would not eat these dishes.

Cleveland, Ohio
“Historic Schtick”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Enjoyable. I like the outside dining. The food was fine. The pumpkin fritters were a treat. I recommend those. They are an appetizer, but more like a dessert. My wife and I sat outside on a comfortable evening.

Sherwood, Wisconsin
“Wonderful outdoor seating area.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We enjoyed a delightful lunch in the outdoor area which is quite charming. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. I had the peanut soup with a small salad for a lighter lunch, both quite good. Spouse had the game pie with sweet potato pudding and loved both. I thought the prices were quite reasonable for a resort area.

Annapolis, Maryland
“You can dress up ghetto in era specific clothing but you can't take ghetto out of a person wearing the clothing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Visited several times over the years and saw a steady decline in quality of food, portions and especially service. At one point (last year) you couldn't sit outside unless you ordered from a particular menu. Visiting with guests from Montreal, disappointed, we ate in the bar area from the bar menu. I remember the salads were pitiful. Served on plates that measure 5" at most were only worth 4-6 bites. The Canadiens who are used to "Canadian" sized portions were disappointed in this poor display of "American" sized portions. It didn't stop there. The "road kill" dish, or better known as their game pot pie was microwaved beyond anything natural in texture. I believe there were 2 slices of turkey on the hot turkey sandwich. Mashed potatoes were probably dished with a 2 ounce scooper. Very stingy considering a hot sandwich is just shy of $10.

That was then. Not sure why we returned a few weeks ago but I can tell you I was once again tempted by the allure of their outdoor seating area. They have since added a garden where one can drink and hang out just on the other side of their patio and on a "date" with my wife for the first time in years, I thought, let's try again. Our visit to the Farnsworth House was the worst part of the evening.

Our server dressed the part but could not have been more ghetto. Not liking that I was not ready to order, she made visible facial expressions which I chose to ignore so I would not spoil our evening out. I apologized for not being able to decide but that didn't seem to matter.

She tried to sell me some chicken and crab special which she proudly pointed at the table next to me and I could not believe how dry it looked. The poor woman was fighting with some cheap butter knife to cut it and it kept slipping to the other side of the plate. No thank you.

Her was eating the road kill pot pie and it looked better then I had it before but wasn't going to take the chance. I was in the mood for fish and chips but it wasn't on the menu. I ordered a hot turkey sandwich. While looking at my pitiful portion of a hot turkey sandwich, my wife seemed to be enjoying her half chicken which was the only redeeming thing during this final visit, she left full. I had ordered a salad which never made its way to the table. Meanwhile a table behind us was sat and their server went on to tell them the specials for the evening and low and behold..... FISH AND CHIPS is on the menu for $9.95, special for the night! I was moments away from embarrassing this ghetto chick that was serving us, considering I was craving fish and chips, but I refrained. I expressed my feelings to my wife and she recommended I not tip her. I have never done this before and I will always remember doing it here for the first time.

I reached out to management in a private email because I was really disappointed in my visit there and wanted them to know so they could address the attitude with this particular server. They never acknowledged my email, let alone apologize on her behalf. I don't think we will ever return. The food is not all that and the service clearly is not all that, from the bottom of the food chain to the top of the food chain.

For the record, atmosphere gets a 5 star because I absolutely love the setting but its stewards aren't worth a damn.

Food gets average because you can get a better plate at a diner... you would be better off. You'll leave here hungry. Maybe come for dessert and coffee, which we were never offered.

Romance 5 only because I didn't need this ghetto chick to keep the night going. Her attitude strips away any romance the setting offers.

• 2 of 5 bubbles