“Best Campground at Gettysburg”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Gettysburg / Battlefield KOA
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We checked the other campgrounds in Gettysburg on a previous trip, and decided to try the KOA on our trip this year. We were very happy with the campground. The bath/shower rooms were clean. The grounds were well groomed and neat. The sites are shaded for the most part, but that is what we prefer. The campround has large rocks and small trees between most of the sites for added privacy. The camp store has reasonable prices and a helpful staff. Everybody was very friendly to us. The campground is small compared to many campgrounds, but has all of the ammenities that we enjoy. Nightly activities and or movies / playground / swimming pool / hiking trail / mini-golf / shuffle board etc. We stayed there in a travel trailer, and will definately stay there again.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank naylor856

Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed here with our 6yo son and rented one of their 'Kabins' (the one room cabins). From the moment we arrived, the staff was very friendly and helpful. I didn't meet any
member of the staff without receiving a friendly smile or greeting.

The 'kabins' are absolutely adorable, with a front porch with swing, a double bed and twin bunk beds, a small fridge/freezer, AC/heat, a ceiling fan and two windows that open and close. Outside there is a picnic table, grill and fire pit. The mattresses are foam mattresses inside a vinyl slipcover. They were about as comfortable as the air mattresses we use when we go tent camping. Not as nice as our pillow top at home, but I slept well on them.

It was a short walk to the satellite bathroom, which had 4 individual bathrooms with a toilet, sink and shower. The bathroom at the other end of camp (behind the office) was a public bathroom with several toilet stalls, and shower stalls that had an outer space to undress before stepping into the shower. We used the satellite bathrooms during our stay, and there was never a line for them. The bathrooms seem clean enough. They are a little musty smelling, but no more than most campground bathrooms. The ventilation system is operational, but doesn't "kick on" until the bathroom gets really steamy. My one suggestion to the camp owners would be to do something about the ventilation. Either make it come on automatically with the lights, or have it kick on sooner, since there is nothing worse than trying to get dry and dressed in a steamy bathroom.

The campground was blissfully quiet at night. Whether that was because the owners were strick in enforcing the quiet hours, or because we were surrounded by other families with little ones who went to bed as early as ours, I couldn't tell you. But it was quiet by 9pm and stayed that way until morning.

Our site (Kabin 12) would not be handicapped accessible due to the steps leading up to it. Otherwise, I think it was the best site in the campground.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TMAG391
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This used to be my favorite campground. It has a peaceful setting that is excellent for families. The amenities and activities are what most KOA's offer so you know what to expect. I was very disappointed in the staff at this KOA. I hope they can get their act together for the sake of the campground. The attitide I experienced makes me feel unwelcome and I hope that other campers have not felt this. I have decided to try another campground in the area this time in hopes for a better vacation experience.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We rented a Basic Cottage, in general the campground is shaded and well cared for.
The staff is not up to the level of service I received at the Harper's Ferry or Hatteras KOA.
The Cottages are not up to the same standards either.
The Cottages could benefit from maintenance, namely replacing the mattresses that should have been replaced years ago. My thirteen year old son would not sleep on the top bunk after the first night. He chose to sleep on the couch. I endured the springs poking me in the back for several days, never really getting a full nights sleep. Another item of contention was that the air conditioning was not running when we arrived. The cottage had to be over a hundred degrees inside. It took the entire evening to get the place cool enough .
Generally speaking this is a clean quiet campground , three to four miles from the center of Gettysburg tourist activities.
The Kottages are not a great value.
I recommend staying at one of the hotels in town. The extra dollars will get you a comfortable bed, continental breakfast and in some cases you will be within walking distance of the activities.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stay here every year and always have a wondertime time. We started out in the very rustic cabins and eventually moved up to a deluxe kottage way up on the campground. The public bathrooms are clean and much nicer than at other campgrounds where I've stayed. The sunday pancake breakfast is a wonderful treat! My kids loved the pool, playground, nature trail and giant chess set. The kottages have a firepit and a grill. The little store has everything you could ever need! The nicest part of a weekend at Gettysburg is knowing that the campground is family run and family friendly. They enforce the quiet hours!! I don't hear music blasting, just dogs barking sometimes... People aren't supposed to leave their dogs in the RV's -- but I've seen it happen. Only during the day though - never had anything disturb our nights! We LOVE this campground and we're pretty picky. Can't wait to go back again!

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin away from the street if car noise might bother you.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2011

This is a nice, well maintained, clean, "small' campground". I stayed here with my son and three other families (we rented the 4 kabins across from the pool). The staff is friendly enough and leaves you to yourself. .. The Kabin were clean and supplied with a small refrigerator and an air conditioner, bunk beds and a full size bed . After that there's not much. There's no closet or chest-of drawers, but I remind you that you are camping. My son and I loved the Kabin and can't wait to come back.
....all of the hostile reviews must come from the hostile type because let me tell you, my friends and I were up until 4:30 in the morning drinking around the fire and NOT ONE staff member bothered us for being TO LOUD. Oh maybe that's because we weren't being loud!!! I believe that if your not disturbing other campers and not being a general nuisance then you won't be bothered by the AWESOME staff.
I would come back here anytime, in fact we're planning on it!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Flake-the-Camper
Reviewed June 18, 2011

my favorite place to camp has always been the KOA in Gettysburg ... it is amazing place to see ... you'll remember being there for rest of your life. Robert E. Lee took Confederate Aramy into Gettysburg w/75,000 man Army ... ... met Union Army w/90,000 troops ... over 51,000 men did not leave the battle field.

go there this summer with your family, they'll never forget coming to Gettysburg!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family