“Great hotel”

Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
New Jersey
“Great hotel”
Reviewed February 19, 2008

My daughter and I traveled to Gettysburg this past weekend, and stayed here on Sunday night. I found a rate of $79 by trying several sites-I think it was the Gateway Gettysburg site. I am also a Wyndham by Request member.The road leading to the hotel was a bit dark, but the hotel is beautiful! We felt extremely safe there, too! We did not eat dinner at their restaurant, and drove back into Gettysburg instead. It really is a short drive this time of year, but don't know how busy the roads can be in the summer. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and would stay here again! PS- I also was upset that there was no hairdryer, but we found it on a shelf underneath the vanity!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Gill55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Mt. Airy
Reviewed February 17, 2008

My husband and I stayed here Saturday night. As one previous writer suggested, we asked for a room away from the elevator. It seemed as if we were in the hotel all by ourselves it was so quiet. The bed was wonderful - comfortable in every way. The bathroom was clean and polished. We returned from having dinner in Gettysburg around 9:30 and heard a jazz band playing in the lounge. The band was great but sadly they stopped playing at 10:00. The lounge is full of highback chairs so was fairly intimate. On the hotel website we received a rate of $92.00 plus taxes. I booked it the day before arrival. I noticed on Thursday it was down to $84 but I missed out. If you join Wyndham by Request, you can log on and see more offers. For example, Stay Two nights for $129; Stay 1 night with breakfast for two for $99. The second option we would have taken but they were sold out. If we had eaten in the dining room we would have had free desserts with our entrees, being a WBR member. We wanted to eat at Farnsworth Tavern, however, to enjoy a bit of history with our meal. I believe that we will stay here again next time we visit Gettysburg. My only suggestion for the hotel would be to supply hair dryers - -I was surprised that there wasn't one for our use.

• Liked — The comfortable bed.
  • Disliked — Couldn't walk to historic area.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mtairymom
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed February 10, 2008

I stayed here on a solo sightseeing trip of Gettysburg. It was incredibly comfortable -- one of those beds you want to take home with you. All the furnishings and decor were new and lovely.

I didn't eat in the restaurant, but ordered room service several times and was quite happy. Had a lovely Cosmopolitan in the bar twice.

Convenient to Gettysburg, although you have to drive in. Not within walking distance, but not full of crowds, either. Right off highway, so convenient if you're just traveling through.

Only negative I experienced was that the wireless internet didn't make it up to my room on the 3rd floor, so I had to sit in the lobby to use it. That said, the lobby was lovely and had plenty of comfy places to sit, so I didn't mind. And I was there on a vacation trip, not business, so I didn't need to use my laptop much.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank travelgirl64
South Carolina
Reviewed February 3, 2008

If you are traveling to the Gettysburg area, this is the hotel you want to stay in.

My husband and I live about one hour away and we frequently use Gettysburg as a quick weekend escape. We love to walk or bike the battlefield and walk through the little shops in town. We have been doing this for about 15 years, and have always stayed at the Holiday Inn Battlefield which up until now, was adequate.

The Wyndham is located a few miles away from the center of town and the battlefield, but this really is a non-issue given that the drive is easy and you can always find a place to park. This was my greatest hesitation because the Holiday Inn is within walking distance of everything.

The decor is gorgeous. The lobby is really big and has original artwork hanging all throughout. It really has the feel of a fine hotel in a bigger city like Philadelphia. Check in was a breeze and the staff was efficient and friendly. Also, be sure to sign up for the Wyndham by Request program through Wyndham's website. Faster check in, a snack and drink waiting for you in your room and we got a coupon for a free dessert in the restaurant!

The room was awesome! Pillowtop beds with a big fluffy duvet and a flat screen TV. Our first room was located right across from the elevator which is a big no-no for me. It makes a pretty loud chime, so if you are sensitive to noise ask for a room away from the elevator!!

We were moved to another room without hesitation. Our first room had a shower/tub combo,but the second room had only a shower with a solid half glass door. Since it was just the two of us, it was not a big deal, but if you have children,or like to soak in the tub,be sure to ask for a room with a tub.

I agree about the bathroom fan not being very powerful. This seems to be the trend with newer hotels, but I think they need to go back to the louder, stronger versions,especially if you are trying to get ready while someone is showering.

The bathroom was also well stocked with True Blue Spa products from Bath and Body Works.

We used room service for breakfast which was fast,prompt and delicious. We also used the work out room which had cardio and free weight equipment. We did not use the pool or whirlpool, but both looked very relaxing!

We walked across to the movie theatre and saw a movie. It was nice to have that within walking distance.

The conference facilities looked very nice and I would not hesitate to book a meeting or even a wedding reception there.

If you are looking for a bit of luxury in a town of tired hotels, then the Wyndham is for you!

• Liked — The bed!
  • Disliked — The bathroom fan!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Travelguru02
Barboursville, West Virginia
Reviewed December 6, 2007

This was a new hotel and it was outstanding. Received an excellent rate on the phone through hotels.com so we booked it unseen. We arrived late and were immediately awed by the impressive exterior. The lobby was decorated tastefully in a patrotic theme and the check-in was handled professionally. The room looked like a picture in a magazine. There was a gift shop, a workout room and a sit down dining room available for guests. The hotel was located just off the highway and close to the attractions. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The decor
  • Disliked — No continental breakfast
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Triptaker5
Blakeslee, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Located right off Hwy 15, it was so easy to find! The decor is like no other Wyndham I have seen. They really picked up on the Getysburg Theme and it is decorated with this presidential/americana type look. So neat! The rooms were immaculate and had the pillowtop mattresses. I was there for a conference and the conference space was also very tastefully decorated, and they provided the the nicest table skirting I have ever had a trade show! The hotel is even close by to the historic spots and the battlefield for some post conference sightseeing within 10/15 min drive. The only thing they need is a SPA!! That would have been perfect.

• Liked — Conference Facilities & mattress
  • Disliked — There was no Spa! :(
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank hurleygirl024
midwest
Reviewed October 22, 2007

Brand new and sparkling clean! It's about a 5 minute drive
from all the hustle & bustle! Beautiful room and beautiful
hotel! The desk clerks are friendly; service good, there just
isn't anything negative to say about this hotel. Just a short
walk away from good restaurants and the theatre. Would
definitely stay again if we were in the area. A+++++

Stayed October 2007