“Awesome for the whole family”
Review of GettysBike Tours

GettysBike Tours
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Providence, Rhode Island
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Awesome for the whole family”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We took the Yanks Tour with our 9-year-old and 12-year-old. They are experienced bicyclists, but even they had a little trouble in the hot late-June weather. Fortunately, the weather had cooled a bit from the previous 95+ highs of the last few days; when we went, it was more like 85 degrees. Most of the rest stops are in the shade, but there is much bicycling in the sun.

Bruce was our guide, and he was knowledgeable and helpful. He stopped at a special place of interest for us, and took his time at the stops. Best of all, he had water and peanut bars available at the top of Little Round Top.

The adults in our party enjoyed the trip immensely, but the kids found it a little rough going. I wouldn't try it with kids who were not experienced on the bike, at least not in hot weather. Do bring more water and snacks than you think you'll need.

Fairlawn, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good for biking, average for information”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The biking part of it was nice as Gettysburg offers some good terrain to bike on with not a lot of major hills and smooth low trafficked roads throughout the battlefield. I didnt think the information from the guide was all that great though. I did the self tour with the CD in my car last year and took just as much from that if not more than from the Gettysbike guide. He went off topic a few times, which wasted time and then he had to skim over more important details to try and catch up. If you know nothing about Gettysburg then this would probably be a good tour for you, but if you have any decent knowledge going in you could save the money, rent a bike, download some battlefield podcasts, and make your own tour.

2 Thank SDK15
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome Bike Tour of the Battlefield - Fun Exercise & Educational”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Bob,
Your bike tour was definitely the highlight of our trip to Gettysburg. Thank you for the wonderful, historical insight concerning the three day Battle of Gettysburg. You had our attention and did an
amazing job making the tour fun and engaging for our 10-year-old son. Even as we drove home from Gettysburg, he was planning our next "Civil War battlefield biking tour"!!!

We wish you a successful season and a great summer. We will definitely be back to see you next time we are in Gettysburg. And, we will send any friends visiting the area to see you, too!

Thanks for making our Battlefield Experience the absolute best !!!!! For anyone who is planning a visit to Gettysburg and wants the experience of a lifetime, we highly recommend this Biking Tour.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank Dan T
Marietta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great Way to See the Gettysburg Battlefield”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

If you have some extra time, want to get some exercise, and see the battlefield on a bike, this is definitely the way to go. They offer tours a couple of times a week but will also schedule a tour if you have 2 or more folks biking. They also rent bikes by the hour ($10) or day ($30) so you can bike on your own. I just took the suggested National Park Service auto tour and did it by bike instead of car. The bikes were good- I had a very nice Trek and complimentary helmets and water bottle are provided. And they are located very close to the Visitor's Center so they are very conveniently located. Kelly was working the day I rented and she was nothing short of terrific. Very nice, helpful and not only did she set me up with the proper setting on my bike, but she also gave me some pointers on how to see the battlefield by bike. And when a major storm was about to roll in while I was still on the battlefield, she called my cell several times to make sure I got back safely. These guys are the best- highly recommend!

West Chester, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“GREAT way to tour the historic battlefields!”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Bob, the owner and tour leader, is exceptional! We had two families - total of 13 - 4 adults, 6 teenagers, 3 children in 7-9 range - in early June 2011, hot day, we rode toward the end of the day - around 4 pm. We enjoyed a little exercise while seeing the sites in as true of a form as you can. I liked the fact that we had mini-walkie talkies that attached to our shirts and we could communicate with Bob and others while on the bike. Bob really understands the history and always checked if we wanted him to speed up, slow down or whatever. He'll gauge it exactly the way you want it. No pressure, stress free! I will definitely do it again!

Visited July 2011
1 Thank Mike N

Been to GettysBike Tours? Share your experiences!