“Canucks give it three thumbs up!”
Review of GettysBike Tours

GettysBike Tours
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our four Hour tour and civil war experience with Bruce. His depth of knowledge made the whole trip fly by and left you wanting more. Highly recommend it for anyone visiyng Gettysburg. The cycling was a bit of a workout - I felt I had earned my ice cream @ Mr. G's!

Thanks Bruce!

Michelle

There are newer reviews for GettysBike Tours

Reviewed April 5, 2012

My family (me, husband and 2 kids - 14 and 11) did this tour during the most beautiful early April afternoon. None of us have a particularly strong interest in the Civil War but we needed a short trip to take during the kids Spring Break and thought Gettysburg would be a good option. Bruce was our tour guide and he was wonderful. He provided lots of interesting facts about the battles and the individuals involved in them. In total, he spent 3.5 hours with us. There were parts of this ride where I was definitely huffing and puffing (and I am in reasonably good shape) but overall I think this ride is doable for most people. Bring at least one full bottle of water for each person, maybe even two.

1  Thank KristinL841
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We loved our tour with GettysBike. This is a family-operated business, conveniently located very close to the National Park Service visitors center (at the bus parking area). Bob is the guide, and his daughter Kelly runs the operations, and both are nice as could be. Bob's tour is great - very, very informative, and the right level of exertion for everyone on our trip. We did the 3-hour tour (about 7-8 mile ride, with lots of stops), and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't imagine a better way to see the battlefield. Thank you!!

2  Thank vickizig
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Cycling the battleground with Bob was one of the highlights of our Washington trip. Family business, the highly efficient Kelly sorted out our booking as the civil war cycling season came towards its end. Bob teaches grade 8 history and that shows when combined with an obvious enthusiasm and feel for his subject. More monuments and theories than you can hit with grapeshot ! Faced with the prospect of information overload and a cycle party with differing degrees of background and interest, Bob was very astute in combining geography and timeline to give us a 14 mile tour that captures the essence of what had happened on the battle field over three days. It was quite a thrill to be taken to the actual locations featured in the film of the battle and to understand the tactics at play at those stage of the battle. Cycling is undoubtedly the best means of getting a feel for events and I'd wholeheartedly recommend a Gettysbike tour with Bob as a means of making the visit a memorable experience. I'd also endorse Bob's lunch recommendation : the Dobbin House.

4  Thank Lieutenant_Feraud
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My two boys 16 and 14 are have study the Civil War and attended several Memorial Day and Veteren' day ceremonies. My goal was to keep it interesting. Bob's Bike Tour was outstanding. Bob has many engaging war stories, facts and hands on lessons. Kelly the Office Manager was delightful. She was informative, and complete with her instructions. She reassured us that even flatland/cornbelt bikeriders could handle the rolling hills of PA for a short 7.5 mile ride... she was right. Although the ride does not have designated bike paths Bob leads the group safely through the roads and park ways. He and the riders use head sets so he can speak thoughout the ride and still manuver the group through traffic. All levels of riders seemed to be easily accomodated. Beautiful landscapes, engaging stories, and frequent stops at specific note worthy sites... were all a winning combination for my family.