“Over priced and boring”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Over priced and boring”
Reviewed June 18, 2009

The battles are too spread out and there is not much to do in between.
All the vendors sell the same items and food.
Lion gate films shoot a movie every year but it has very bad acting and bland story line,
most of the re-enactors do the acting, there are very few real amature actors that do an ok job. I wasted $20 on the movie, ill never watch it again. The artillary demo was cool, and i stayed for one battle. the 2 hour wait in between events was brutally boring !
It is a huge event for the ppl in and around Gettysburg, it just wasnt my thing i guess.

6 Thank kaz035

Stamford, CT
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Not worth it”
Reviewed May 31, 2009

I love history reenactments, in fact, I attend rennaissance faires all the time. However, I was very unimpressed when I attempted to go to this reenactment a few years ago. I had been to a local one in Connecticut prior to this, which had a short battle scene at the end and I enjoyed that. When we pulled up to this one, there was bleacher seating and standing for the reenactment, and we could not see much more that looked interesting enough to stay. It takes place no where near the actual battlefield, for obvious reasons, so that takes away a lot of the effect.

8 Thank TheodensQueen
Pittsburgh, PA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“2008 Annual Gettysburg Reenactment”
Reviewed October 2, 2008

This was my first time to see the reenactment and it is worth seeing if you are a history buff about the civil war. Where else can you see thousands of reenactors dressed in civil war uniforms, rifles and artillary? Many of the these reenactors are are dedicated in preserving the memory of history. Several of them sleep in the same type of tents used during the war and the women are victorian dressed. They have several tents with clothes and food of the same time period.

4 Thank scorpiontravelbug
Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“2007 Gettysburg Reenactment”
Reviewed July 8, 2007

I would like to state that I LOVED the town of Gettysburg itself, however in regards to the reeneactment I was NOT impressed. We went last year and due to the cancellation they gave us tickets to attend this years reenactment. The "battle" for loss of a better word consisted of men in uniforms on horse trotting toward each other, clanking a sword a couple of times and then trotting in the opposite direction. Total wast of money in my opinion. As for the rest of the time in between battles you could venture into the numerous tents selling their random goods. If you want my opinion, travle to Gettysburg but stay in town. There is so much to see and do in the town itself!!!! Ghost walks, museums, and cemetaries. I highly reccomend the Dobin House Tavern for dinner. It is in the basement of the oldest house in town. Wonderful!! We will return, but absolutely will not see the reenactment again!

13 Thank BrandNew1
Philadelphia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“2006 Gettysburg Reenactment - Not complaining about cancellation”
Reviewed September 25, 2006

I went to the 2006 Gettysburg Reenactment despite its rescheduling. First off, I would like to say for them rescheduling it they should have informed people. I randomly caught a news article talking about how it was postponed it which made me wait a week.

All and all, Gettysburg is a beautiful place, I truly enjoy it there. But the reenactment was very underwhelming. I expected to see a battle re-enactment when all we got was a few guys, shooting guns into the air while some guy monotonely spoke about what was going on. The battle was very poorly orchestrated and very boring honestly.

As for the grounds themselves, I went there for a hope that they would have information about the civil war, maybe some living history. The only living history they had was a chapel where they talked about religion during the civil war. I thought perhaps they would have living history on the weapons, on the life in the camps, or maybe even on what they ate and such. Nothing, the entire ground was nothing more than a huge stretch of tent shops trying to steal your money on "authentic" civil war gear. We got there 5 hours before the battle and literally sat there 95% of the time waiting for it to start. Then a 15 - 20 minute unimpressive battle and then we went home.

All in all, I have a suggestion, if you are a super civil war buff with money to blow on stuff. Then this may be for you, but if you are just a history buff that wanted to see an accurate depiction of gettysburg and what it was like, just watch the movie. I'm sorry that I have nothing good to say about this event.

11 Thank Rathe1000