“Great Place To Stay”
Review of Colton Motel

Colton Motel
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed March 25, 2007

When we go places we dont like to spend alot of money on a hotel. We are not there much and just need a place to sleep and shower. I booked colton motel becuz the rates where GREAT! We Didnt expect much for the price. But WOW, we where wrong! It was a nice place to stay. Everything is in walkin distance, the management was great. Its quit and in a prime location. It really gives you the feel for Gettysburg. Everyone was super nice and very understandable to any problems. We ended up being at the hotel alot becuz of bad weather. For our luck we got ALOT more then what we paid for. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who's looking to get a true feel for Gettysburg at a very reasonable price. We will be back in July :)

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
24  Thank AprilBlosser

Reviewed December 30, 2006

There is so much that i could say about our stay at the Colton Motel. But i would not have enough room to type it all here. I will tell you that this motel is everything that we needed for our little getaway. This motel is located in middle of it all. The room was comfortable and clean. The manager was so helpfull and friendly. He helped point us into the right direction for all the sites and tours. I recommend this motel to everyone.
We will Deffinetly come back to stay here again... CANT WAIT TO VISIT AGAIN...

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
27  Thank tmillen
Reviewed November 9, 2006

Colton Motel is a simple, non-luxury place where the room doors and windows open to the outdoors. Lincoln Square is quite an old part of town, which, in many ways caused the battle in the first place. We walked there from Colton Motel with no problems. Yes, the motel is on central battlefield location, so much so that the Park Service actually wants to bulldoze it along with the Park's visitor center, McDonalds, KFC and everything else to restore everything back to 1863 conditions. Andrew is the manager, but not the owner. If he could afford it, he'd like to be the owner. He reads these reviews and takes the feedback seriously. When we stayed this last Friday, Andrew was by then a one-man show and did everything himself, including the cleaning. He fired the cleaning staff because they were unreliable in more ways than the previous reviews indicated. Our room was clean. On entry though, the smell of cleanser was a bit strong. Disinfected? Absolutely. We slept through it, and the smell of disinfectant wasn't quite as bothersome after a while.
The number of hotels in the area far exceeds what TA lists here. As this was our first and only trip to Gettysburg so far, we don't know how Colton compares in value to the others in the immediate area.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
25  Thank DarthAnonymous
Reviewed November 3, 2006

The location of the motel is good, some reviewers said it was in walking distance to everything. While it is close to the visitor center for the battlefield, you definately need a car to get the most out of the battlefield since there are over 40 miles of avenues in it. The oldest part of town is also not in walking distance. The manager was very nice & had good information. I had not had a chance to tour the property before I got the room but was surprised the next morning to see an entrance to an underground bar within a foot of my bathroom/bedroom. Unfortunately, the carpet had not been vacuumed around the edges & there were major dust/cobweb problems on all the light shades. Because of that, I had a hard time relaxing & getting sleepy. After I had been in bed awhile I felt something on my wrist & discovered a small dark black bug crawling on my arm. I don't know what kind since I flung it off asap. I changed hotels the next night.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
4  Thank SusieLou
Reviewed October 17, 2006

We go to Gettysburg every year. Two years in a row we stayed at the Colton Motel. The manager was very hospitable and well informed about the area. We love it there!!!! It is located close to everything and we really liked the room we stayed in.
The management is excellent and has really taken care of the place!!! We dont want to stay anywhere else. We have found a home there. If we needed anything, or even extra anything the manager and housekeeping saw that we received whatever we needed.

Also, I love the doggy, Ms. Colleen. Hi Colleen; hope to see you next year, or maybe even in a few months!!

Vikki and Earl Barker
Pittsburgh, PA

26  Thank Victoria V
Reviewed October 9, 2006

We have stayed at the Colton in Gettysburg on our past four visits and intend to return again in 2007. The Colton offers value for the dollar, cleanliness and great hospitality from the Manager, Andrew, to Miss Colleen, the resident dog. We recommend you stay at the Colton.

Robert and Rose Thomson
Dundas, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
25  Thank bobandrose
Reviewed October 8, 2006

I knew nothing about Gettysburg and needed a hotel. I read a lot of reviews on this website and decided to give the Colton Motel a try as I found so many positive comments about it. So glad I did! The manager made our stay in Gettysburg extra special! I forgot to get directions so I called and the manager was so helpful and friendly that I looked at my husband and said, "I feel like we are going to stay with some good friends." The feeling stayed the whole time we were there. He loves history and it was contagious. The hotel was exactly as I had read - a clean, comfortable place to rest after a big day of touring. Friendly. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone. An added bonus is that it is right next to the visitor center and a short walk from town!

24  Thank Lisa D