“Okay place to crash for the night.”
Review of Colton Motel

Colton Motel
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed May 2, 2010

I needed a cheap place to stay for the night and some of the reviews scared me. But in reality it is just an older motel. It has the old building smell and the bathroom hasn't been updated in a long time. If you are looking for something fancy or for a stay of more than two days, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. But it's perfectly adequate for a night or two. Only problem I had was the batteries in the TV remote needed to be replaced. Horrors, I had to change channels manually like when I was growing up!

Room was clean but older. Don't expect the Ritz.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank lakrch

Reviewed March 19, 2010

I love the Colton inn for a couple of reasons. Mainly because I've had a room or 2 that had what I thought to be paranormal activity (it didn't happen on every stay) and the location. It's right across the street from the cemetery, just a mile or so from the Battlefield, and the overall location as in walking distance to places is pretty good. The bad experience I had was over the lack of an alarm clock. We didn't really look around the room until 1-2 am unfortunately. We then realized we didn't have an alarm clock, so I called the front desk for a wakeup call. The man who answered proceeded to chew me out for waking him up :-|. He ranted about how he had to get up at 6 am for other wakeup calls. I for some stupid reason apologized profusely, and he still made me feel like a bother. If it wasn't for the reasons why I love the hotel, I wouldn't have even gone back...maybe that's why the guy acts like a jerk, because he knows people like the location and stuff. That was a one time incident, so if u want good location, and maybe a paranormal incident go. If u go though, make sure u don't call the front desk at 1-2 am because the manager is sleeping :-|.

Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AmeliaSD
Reviewed December 10, 2009

My mom and I were on a family history trip to central PA and decided to get in a little site seeing. As we were on a fairly tight budget, a review of the hotels in the Gettysburg area produced a short list, the Colton being one of them. We stayed for three nights. The motel is centrally located within Gettysburg and located near the attractions. Our expectations were fairly low as far as the room was concerned. The rooms are somewhat small and a bit outdated, at least compared to the current trends in hotels, but that does add to its charm in some ways. The bathroom had fantastic 1950's style mint and black ceramic tiles. The bed was a bit soft for my taste however and I would recommend bringing your own pillow as the ones provided were fairly thin. In general, the hotel had a nice laid back feel and the front desk staff was very accommodating and helpful. We did not spend a lot of time at the motel room so did not need a lot of amenities. If you are on a tight budget and just need a room with a bed, the Colton will fit the bill.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank laurels10
Reviewed October 24, 2009

We arrived here late in the evening. We chose The Colton straight off our satnav after spending the whole day touring the battlefield. I guess we just got lucky as the room rate was very reasonable indeed. The guy who checked us in was very efficiant and helpful. As there were two beds we decided to have one each, a novelty after 33 years of matrimonial bliss! My bed was ok, but my wife's bed was a bit different. The bed linen was clean but the bed cover was stinking of cigarettes and had cigarette burns to it. The carpet looked ok to me but my wife said it was dirty. Apart from that everything was fine. No problems at all and the free wi-fi worked great, straight in with no problems. There were no room based coffee making facilities.

We will be going back to Gettysburg someday and will try and stay at the Colton again. So much history was started there. Gettysburg changed the world in some ways. In the end there were a lot of casulties but no losers, that's my take on it all.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NelsonTouch7
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Just returned from two night visiit to Gettysburg. As previously reviewed the Colton Motel is an older motor lodge type motel. It was clean, but a bit ragged around the edges. That was OK with us because we only spent the nights there and were away the rest of the day. Only difficulty we had was with stopped up bathroom sink that was not repaired despite reporting it to management. Price was very reasonable compared to other motels I looked at in Gettysburg.
Big plus is that it is right next to the National Cemetary and very close to Visitor Center.
Would go back if touring Gettysburg again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2009

My sister and I stayed here for 2 nights in August. Decided to take a chance based on reviews. We were simply looking for a place to sleep after running around all day. Must admit I was a tad disappointed but didn't expect it to be anything special.

Positives- You can't beat the cost as the INNs and most hotels in the area are costly. I found the motel to be in a great location - very near to National Park and Cemetary. The trolley can be picked up less than a block away to go anywhere around town. (PLEASE make use of the Trolley!!!) Motel staff was friendly and helpful. Bathrooms looked to be refurbished and there was plenty of towels and hot water and toiletries were provided. Hotel was busy with both couples and families with kids (who made use of the pool). You are within walking distance of many things.

Negatives- The biggest downside is that the Motel is older and the rooms so-so. They are definitely clean but, honestly, they're dated and musty -which is a big turn-off. The breakfast isn't anything to talk about (pastries and coffee).

I HATE to give a negative review to this place because it wasn't disgusting or anything - just not great. It needs an overhaul. If you are looking for a cheap place to spend the night with no frills then this is your place. I think on my next visit to Gettysburg I'd spend the extra cash to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank tavelbug
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I did not expect anything luxurious but I was definately disappointed. It was not filthy but it wasn't very clean either. I had booked the room by phone and when I checked in the clerk ran my room charge at a higher rate than I had already been given. When I showed him my confirmation that I had printed from my e-mail, he proceeded to yell at me for not showing him the confirmation before he ran my card. I assumed that if he had my reservation (which he did), that he would also have my previously negotiated room rate. He was very rude and we basically had a shouting match over the counter in the office. What a way to begin a vacation!!!! A forewarning to the ladies--there were no electrical outlets in the bathroom. The only outlet near the mirror in the main room was already filled with the tv and lamp. It made using a hair dryer and curling iron quite interesting. Needless to say, I will pay a little more and stay elsewhere on my next visit to Gettysburg.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple