“So-So” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Gettysburg
Kingston, Pennsylvania, United States
“So-So”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Okay to save a few bucks, But the pillows are old and lumpy (should have brought my own), some of the lights in the room did not work and the floor of the shower was so flimsy, it moved while you were showering. Cleanliness of the room and bath was questionable and we were placed in a room next to the laundry. Dryer ran half the night. The location was excellent...near the battlefield and restaurants and in walking distance of shops.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pauline H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Probably just her personality, but owner was sarcastic. Her son, however, was very polite. She refused to give AAA discount, claiming it was Expedia's responsibility and not hers (She did not explain why). Rooms seemed clean, but all furniture was VERY worn and outdated. Bumped my leg on bed frame that was sticking out in several places. She told me to call if I needed anything, but room did not have a phone! (didn't even have a clock!) When I inquired, I was told that something was wrong with the wiring, and a phone could not be installed in my room. (no other rooms were available). In addition, after playing television for about an hour, my family and I smelled burning. (Part of the bad wiring?) I requested a cot (Expedia told me it was included, but owner said, No..). After paying an extra $10 per night, we were given a cot frame with material covering a bunch of springs!. We had to take it upon ourselves to pad it using two comforters folded to resemble an actual mattress. Was told it included a continental breakfast. Huh!!! Wasn't told about that at check-in. Since there was no dining area, I doubt that it existed.

Room Tip: Owner's young son was eager to assist and was very polite. Room was clean. Was within walking...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank marie d
West Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Room was clean and comfortable. Easy walk to shops and cemetery. We didn't use the pool but it looked clean and well-maintained. Staff was very friendly. Fresh danish and coffee in the office each morning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank PapaGoose61
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

I traveled through Gettysburg and stayed at the Colton. My only qualm was the price. Granted it was in late May and I travelled alone, so it made sense that it was higher. All in all, the room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I was able to walk to most museums in that area

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BradHPhantom
pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed at the Colton Motel this past May with our two small children, which was their first trip to Gettysburg and it was fantastic. The room was super clean, the bathroom was spotless, as was the rest of the room and the staff was extremely friendly and hospitable. The motel is right in the center of town which made it so easy for us, with a double stroller, we were able to walk to everything we wanted to see : ) Also, the price for the room was awesome!! We loved it so much, we are staying there again next month when we visit Gettysburg with my sister and her family. I just made the reservations this morning : ) Highly recommend!!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank beachbaby79
Moultonborough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Whoever the owner of this motel is, should certainly sink a little money into repairs and replacement of furnishings. This would make the rating a 5 for everything, but I'm sure the price of rooms would go up and be on par with surrounding motels then.

The saving grace for this property is the excellent staff that is employed there. I have never stayed anywhere where the staff have been more friendly, polite, and attentive to the needs of their guests. Robert (who always said "yes mam" and "yes sir") and Pauli were constantly on the go, bringing extra cups, towels, cots, a replacement TV and a fridge that was missing from one of the rooms. Bailey helped with getting keys to work in the door locks and entertained us with stories of the rooms that were haunted. Her personal experiences, as well as those of guests. It was better than the ghost tour that is offered in Gettysburg!

We were in town to celebrate my brother's birthday. His family had a room next to ours and my sister had the room next to his. My brother and I would certainly stay at the Colton again. My wife and sister were a little less impressed.

If you want an inexpensive place to stay, right in the heart of the tourist area, this is the place!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank HowinNH
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

The night before we got an overpriced room outside of downtown with a chain hotel, it was adequate but disappointing.
Sunday morning we saw several other motorcycles parked at the Colton right in the heart of town, Miz Brenda gave us a very warm welcome and the better price on a room than we have seen in years. Is the motel old? well yes and so are we!! Brenda and her whole family went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. Truly a GREAT innkeeper! Sure the rooms could use some upgrades, in room coffee pots, couple more pillows, but overall the best value for our traveling dollar. We look forward to staying there again and would very much recommend the Colton to all bikers.

Room Tip: you can get smoker or non-smoking rooms, when was the last time you saw that?
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple