“NICE MOM & POPS MOTEL”
Review of Colton Motel

Colton Motel
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed July 28, 2013

nice and clean have stayed there before ,great value good location,staff was very nice,had to take a smoking room,but staff came and sprayed for smoke oder.was cloce to cafe &resturant,will stay there again

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Colton Motel

Reviewed July 12, 2013

we wanted a cheap place to stay as we knew most of our time would be spent seeing the sites. we hate spending hundreds of bucks for a place where we only sleep. if this is similar to what you’re looking for in the gettysburg area then colton is the place to be.

positives:
- the price: you can’t beat it!
- brenda, the owner was a trip and made sure you knew she was there if you need her. She was super funny and gave us great recommendations for things to do nearby.
- location: perfect walking distance to so many attractions and places to eat and drink. this gave us the opportunity to do the strolling we were looking for and also not be bothered with lots of cars and people. It was also super safe and quiet. this is NOT in the area congested with hotels and bed and breakfasts which is nice.

negatives:
- the room and bed creeped me out a little. i knew not to expect anything great and i’m also not picky but i was scared to touch things in the room for some reason. It was just a little dingy, not dirty just dingy.

this hotel did the trick for the amount of time we spent there. if coming for a nights visit we would be sure to stay here again so we could have some extra money for all the fun things gettysburg has to offer. go mount!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank vacasRus
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I decided to give this dump a try after seeing that it had good reviews. I'm not picky about outdated furniture and carpet or ugly décor so I though this motel would be okay...boy was I wrong! The pros: cheap, great location, friendly/helpful staff, plenty of parking, quiet, great A/C, plenty of hot water, clean sheets and towels, nice covered area to sit outside your room. If you stay here bring along folding lawn chairs and enjoy the outdoors.The cons: lumpy pillows, rusty fixtures in the bathroom, no vents/fans in the bathroom, very dusty A/C vents and window coverings, no alarm, no hair dryer, no iron(unless you ask), tv didn't work, pool shallow and a little shabby, strange smell in the room...like a dirty bathroom, towels are tiny and scratchy, furniture was broken and scuffed, and the beds are dirty and stained. To be fair it looks like they are trying to update the place, but it is not being done professionally. I was brushing my teeth before check out and happened to look up. What did I see? A razor blade tucked in the corner of the light fixture(see photos). The staff was very nice and very helpful. They are trying, but it seems the owner is the problem here. Do yourself a favor and find another place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back overlooking the cemetery, bring folding chairs
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stephanie S
Reviewed July 6, 2013

If you want a room just to sleep, this is a nice place. Conveniently located within walking distance of the Visitor's Center. The room was clean but outdated. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The only real negative thing about our stay was that the front desk was closed from 7 p.m.- 7 a.m. I would much rather stay somewhere that has staff available 24/7 . We stayed here and caught the Dayton Bus Tour to Washington DC. Wonderful bus tour of DC

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank armydadof2
Reviewed July 5, 2013

It's your typical Mom & Pop motel, but not owned by the family anymore. The staff was very ,very friendly and very helpful. Brenda makes sure you are taken care of. We stayed in Rm 21[smoking room], that was the only one left. She had the staff go in and wipe down everything before we got there and you could not even tell and I don't mean with with the foreign kind of cleaners some motels use. We stayed from 6/27 to 6/30. One of her staff, Paul, was very helpful and got our TV going and provided other stuff. Our bed was a little bouncy, no frig or mic ,but we weren't staying there for frills. Had good room rates. Will definitely stay there the next time we go to Gettysburg.

Room Tip: If looking for a no frills,inexpensive place to stay with a pool ,I would recommend this place
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank dusterman460
Reviewed June 27, 2013

If you want good pricing but dont need all the frills The Colton Motel is the place to stay. We visited 6/21-6/24 2013 right before the big 150th Anniversary event.
The Manager(Brenda) and staff are exceptionally friendly and accomodating to whatever needs you may have.
There are no coffee pots in the rooms, so bring your own, or there is a McDonalds right up the street.
The Soldiers National Cemetery is across the street, easy access to shops and resturants are within walking distance.
Extremely dog friendly, however there is a small fee.
We did not use the pool tho several guests and thier children did, they looked to be having a blast.
The shower had absolutley wonderful water pressure, no drip drip like in the big name hotels. After hiking the battlefield all day it was a welcome relief.
I believe this hotel does have some "spiritual vistors", as my dog went nuts the 1st night barking @ the walls and ceiling. My computer was shut off but lit the room up in the middle of the night (a lap top and it was closed and off). I told them to pet my dog and he would stop the barking, it worked for the rest of the stay. (a few times we noticed him by the bathroom door wagging his tail and looking toward something/someone). Not kidding!!!!!
There is a doggy day care (Copper Cabin Kennels) that took care of my dog when we did the musuems. They are reasonably priced with good service and easy access (about 5 miles out of the city).
I posted some pics of the Ghosts in Devils Den. Take a close look and you will see they are for real. I also posted some the day before and after our visit to Devils Den. You can see it was not my camera.
Needless to say, I will be back to Gettysburg soon and I will again stay at The Colton Motel.

Room Tip: Room # 19 has EXCELLENT water pressure for the shower. Amazingly good after a hard day walking and s...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank mojo0714
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the second time and it excellent value for the money. We booked directly through Magnusun hotels with the CAA/AAA rate of only $58.50.
The Colton's manager Brenda is simply one of the friendliest, helpful and nicest people you could want. The rooms are fine...clean and the beds comfortable. Everything is adequate. We just stepped out the door and everything is within walking distance.
We stayed in room 27 and it was super quiet.
As another reviewer mentioned, the Colton it is not the Ritz but the people that run the place have a heart of gold and that's what it's all about.
This is probably the best value in all of central Gettysburg!
Get ready Brenda, we will be back for sure!!

Room Tip: The back rooms next to the cemetery are the best.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple