New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
NJ
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was very surprised to see what nice little place this is, and you can walk to center of town. The rooms were big, beds were OK. The parking lot was strange to park in, whatever??? I thought I was going to get spooked, BUT nothing. I asked the front desk about that… and she said good luck; lol

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My son and I recently visited Gettysburg on a very limited budet and this mote had the best available rates. We werent expecting much but found the hotel quite satisfactory. We arrived early but the room was ready andwe were able to check in. The room was clean and maintained through our visit. The location, so close to the cemetary and the battlefield couldn't be beat plus we were right on the shuttle bus line. The pizza place next door was the perfect place for an affordable meal.We were quite satified and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank meg h
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

It is an older hotel not the ritz but very inexpensive stayed several times over the last year haven't had to many issues better than comfort inn and suites I think it's a nice little place to stay for a night or two just don't expect the ritz for 50$

• Stayed September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Sgthass
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

The front desk associate was helpful. We booked for a higher rate online then what she could offer us in person. I would suggest not booking online for that reason. The motel was convienantly located walking distance to shops, bars, and places you could on ghost tours or get old style pictures taken. The room was old but well maintained with fresh paint and nice carpet. The space was clean. My only complaint was that the water temperature in shower was inconsistent. There are mini fridges in some rooms and one community microwave in office.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank bobbidean
Wayland, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel back in May after we decided on a whim to make a road trip. No advance reservations, they had a room available that night. For the location, walking distance from a lot of attractions, we were quite happy with the price.

This place is your "bare bones" style motel, akin to the 50's-60's era of roadside stops when driving was in it's heyday. We had a clean room, TV, small bathroom, dresser. It was simple, but it was clean, which is all we could really ask for. The bed wasn't a premium mattress, but it was more comfortable than I gave it credit for upon first glance, and we were able to get to sleep easily. The parking was ample, we were able to park directly in front of our room, and we felt safe letting it parked in their lot as we walked all around town.

This place certainly isn't the Ritz. It is utilitarian, a place to sleep and wash while you're there to see and do other things. And when you know that is what you want, it is a good deal.

There is a tourist attraction just across the street, and there are several souvenir type places to shop in literally within a block. Also, some of the more popular ghost hunting tours are just a couple blocks away as well. We took one of them and while we didn't see any ghosts, we did have a good time.

All in all, we had a good stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kate L
South Glens Falls, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I normally don't blog in on websites, but felt I had to forewarn people about the Colton and what my experience was there. Stayed at the Colton on August 24, 2012. I picked this motel, because of the location. It is in the hub of Gettysburg. This is true. This is the only plus to this motel. I knew it was an old motel, but the first page of reviews I read gave it praises. Not sure how everyone can rate this motel so highly? There were cobwebs in the corner by the dresser and bed that had to have been there for years due to the size and thickness. They were like a long, stringy wad of cotton string. The tv was all snow, no picture. Bed was old and on a metal frame with four wheels. No hot water in shower. Only one pillow for each person. My husband went down to office and asked for another pillow. Richie the desk clerk (who I believe may be the owner) said he would bring a pillow to the room. We waited up for a while and he didn't show. I was tired so went to bed. My husband waited in chair outside the room for Richie to bring pillow. 45 minutes later and 11:00 p.m. or so my husband got tired and came in and went to bed. Next day we decided we didn't want to stay the second night that we had booked. Went to office and said we were checking out. I asked that we not be charged for the second night stay since we weren't staying. I explained everything that was wrong with the room. She acted shocked, especially about the pillow. She asked me to wait and tell Richie what happened. She wasn't technically on duty she said. Richie was down the street getting coffee and donuts. When Richie came back I told him what was wrong. There was no apology. In fact, he got rather disgruntled and said that the "reason we didn't get the pillow was because he called the room and we didn't answer". I said it was pretty hard for us to answer the telephone since there was no telephone in the room. He said "that would be the reason why we didn't answer then". Then he said "I'll came to your room and knocked on the door and noone answered". I said if you did that was because we were asleep. My husband waited 45 minutes outside for a pillow and you never showed up. It was late and he wanted to go to bed. He barely said anything and acted disgusted that we didn't want to stay and that we asked not to be charged for the next night. Technically, I would have liked to have not had to pay for the one night we didn stay, but knew that would have been a futile effort given his demeanor. He crossed off the next night's stay on the check in slip. I asked for a credit slip and he said "you got your receipt". I said I didn't get any receipt. He slapped the form on the copier and printed me out a copy of the checkin slip with the next night crossed out and the total adjusted. I left. We did get charged for only one night so that was good, I guess. We checked into the Travel Lodge next door and paid $50.00 more a night, but it was a beautiful room. Would not recommend this motel unless it is all you can afford or you aren't picky about cobwebs, hot water, no tv or phone and a bed that is sub-par and an owner or management that doesn't care about their motel.

Room Tip: I took photos of room and will try to upload at another time.