“What a plesant, comfortable weekend”

Hilton Garden Inn Gettysburg
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“What a plesant, comfortable weekend”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We were a group of 10 friends wanting to experience Gettysburg and have a comfortable place to sleep and relax. We could not have found a better place than the Hilton Garden Inn. The staff was very helpful and fun to work with, the food was excellent, and the rooms were large and clean. Can't remember when I had such a comfortable bed and pillow in a hotel. If you,re going to Gettysburg, the Hilton Garden Inn should be your first choice for accommodations.

• Stayed October 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Avondale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 25, 2010

The amenities are of a caliber you have come to expect from any Hilton property. But more than that is the staff. I traveled a great deal before retiring, and have rarely found a staff so willing,so friendly and so helpful. They really made the whole trip. Nothing we asked was to great for them. In my opinion if you are going to Gettysburg this is the ONLY place you should consider.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
cmvendetti27, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Gettysburg, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
Thank you so very much for the kind words! We hope to see you again very soon!
delaware
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We only stayed here one night while sightseeing in Gettysburg. The bed was comfortable (although my girlfriend complained about the pillows), the staff courteous, the room was clean, the hotel was only a few years old, and the nearby stores and restaurants were... just like home. Giant Foods(including gas pumps) and Arbys were within walking distance, WalMart, Ruby Tuesdays, CVS, etc were close, and the traffic wasn't too bad outside of town. Like the other reviewers have mentioned, it was hard to find the entrance. The breakfast wasn't worth the price, so we'd advise eating elsewhere, unless your kids like to eat at a hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Orpington
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We stayed at this hotel a couple of miles outside of Gettysburg for 3 nights. Our room, number 327, was spacious with a bath and at the end of the building, well away from the lift. The room was very quiet with little noise from outside sources (apart from an occasionally elephant pounding in the room above us – why do people make so much noise simply walking around?). We had a small fridge, microwave (though no utensils or plates) and coffee (no tea) making facilities. One minor dislike was that there was only one easy chair plus a not so comfortable computer chair. The TV was a large flat screen though not HD.

The hotel had its own laundry room where guests can do their own washing and drying – one machine of each type, cost $1.50, all in quarters. Our room had an iron and board. Having been on holiday for 5 days we quickly took advantage and did a wash, which lasted about 30 minutes.

Try to avoid a room near the lift! When it arrives, it makes a loud pinging noise which I would think would be clearly heard in nearby rooms and could be infuriating. Surely it is not necessary for such a loud noise. Complain to the hotel if you are affected.

The hotel’s Business Centre was excellent. Everything worked (unlike in another HGI hotel in New York where it was not possible to download a file due to the peculiar interface they used – the Gettysburg used a conventional Internet Explorer interface). No problem printing files and it was all free for guests.

The hotel has a swimming pool and gym facilities but we did not have time to use them. They looked fine though.

Breakfast was excellent - $9.95 for a buffet breakfast including food freshly cooked to order (the same type of buffet breakfast was $6 more in New York - a rip-off). As Hilton Gold card holders we got breakfast for ‘free’. Muffins, a weakness of mine, were big (bigger than those in the New York hotel). One odd feature was the tiny saucers used with the coffee/tea mugs. Also only white bread was available. We do dislike the American habit of setting the air conditioning so cold. We almost had to wear our coats for breakfast! Other people were cold also – one family moved to finish their breakfast in front of an artificial fire. The USA could save a lot in energy bills by raising the temperature by a degree or two without suffering any inconvenience.

The hotel had its own restaurant which we used one evening. I had prawns with linguini – this was cooked in a white wine and garlic sauce. Beware of this dish because they didn’t mention the chilli which of course makes it very spicy hot – luckily I like such food so enjoyed it greatly. I didn’t think the prawns were fresh though (i.e. they were cooked from frozen). My wife had a salad but the dressing was forgotten. The hotel restaurant has a limited menu and is not heavily patronised. However, the hotel appears to be trying to improve its evening meals by offering special deals so look out for these.

One great feature we liked about the hotel was the free cookies placed on the counter in the evenings. These were yummy and meant that we didn’t need to have desserts in the restaurants.

There are restaurants near to the hotel that are within walking distance. However, there are no pavements on which to walk – as we are British we object in principle to using a car to travel less than a mile! So we resorted to walking along the hard shoulder of the main road – ignoring the strange looks from the American motorists!

Ruby Tuesday is nearby and within easy walking distance – we ate there twice. However, it also had the problem of excessively cold air-conditioning. We saw several people putting on jackets or sweaters.

Near to the hotel there is a big Giant supermarket which is open 24/7.

We had one minor problem during our stay at the hotel and, to the hotel’s credit, was easily sorted out. We found that a block had been placed on our credit card. After contacting my credit card company, using the hotel room telephone, I found that this had been caused by the hotel putting a charge/hold for our stay on the card – due to the amount (only $550) the credit card company found this to be a suspicious transaction! As I had pre-paid for the room, the hotel should not have made this charge/hold. We were pleased that the hotel waived our telephone charge.

We loved our stay in this hotel and highly recommend it. We would certainly return. It is ideally placed for touring the Gettysburg battlefield and other nearby battlefields.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 17, 2010

This hotel seemed rather new and was conveniently located for sight-seeing purposes. I only marked it down to four stars because I, personally, didn't think the breakfast offerings were as good as others we have had at other Hilton Garden Inns. The cooking was only so-so and there were no real whole grain offerings in the way of bread or rolls. I am a diabetic and these foods are important to me. Times are changing and hotel breakfasts should keep up with food trends. There is very little, if any, added cost involved. I would skip their breakfast and look to other places where it may not be healthier, but at least tastier.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Etobicoke,Ontario
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Though this hotel is not located right by the Gettysburg Battlefield it is conventiently located and is an easy drive to the battlefield and to the centre of town (Lincoln Square).

Our room was bright and airy and we were fortunate to have a window that we could open as my husband is a smoker.

Everyone at the hotel was very pleasant and the breakfast plan was more then adequate. Instead of eating out for dinner we chose to buy our meal from the food store behind the hotel which had everything from a salad bar..to sandwiches...roast chicken and more.

Lincoln Square is charming and beautifully presented. My husband and I enjoyed an evening in the square watching people pass by while enjoying the old world charm Gettysburg had to offer.

We hope one day to re-visit this very historic town though we ourselves are not American we could feel the very presense of those who once lived and fought there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
JOHNSTOWN, PA
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I don't have a thing to complain about with this hotel except it is hard to find the entrance. A sign at the red light where you need to turn would be helpful. You need to turn by the Arbys not by the hotel sign.

I got there at 11 am before I had to make a presentation at an hotel. I chose this hotel because they had smoking rooms and I like the Hilton brand. I was able to check in and my room was great and as requested. There was no smoke smell in the hall and the hotel was very clean.

I did the breakfast package and it was a nice cooked to order breakfast each morning. I loved the waffles. I stayed two nights in room 410. There was plenty of parking and the front desk staff was great.

No noise from the neighbors. And unlike the hotel downtown where some of my colleagues stayed I had no street noise at night. Nice beds with a good selection of pillows. I truly describe this hotel as lovely. It is a nice combination of a Hilton and a Hampton Inn.

There was a large closet, 2 big drawers and 2 small ones. Very good selection of tv channels. There is a gas station and strip mall close by with a grocery store.

I would stay here again, it was a very nice stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business