“Nice hotel, but top floor may as well be nothing but smoking”

Hilton Garden Inn Gettysburg
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Virginia
“Nice hotel, but top floor may as well be nothing but smoking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2009

Stayed here for two nights in March 2009. The rooms were nice, though not exceptionally large. The check-in process was flawless and we were given some nice amenities since we are Honors Gold VIP members. We were on the fourth (top) floor and as soon as we got off the elevators we were greeted with a very strong smell of stale cigarette smoke. The hotel has this floor split between smoking and non-smoking. The smell was not bad on our side of the hall and you could not smell it in our room. The beds were comfy and the bathroom was great. The TV was great too, though I thought they advertised flat screen TVs- no matter, I wasn't there to watch TV. The wireless Internet was atrociously slow and I had a very weak connection. The pillows on the bed were a bit too fat for a stomach sleeper like me. Luckily we had free passes for breakfast because I would've been quite mad to have had to pay for it. The food tasted good, but the whole ordering process was confusing and the service was weak. There were a few (not many) people waiting on breakfast one morning and they had 4 staff members in the kitchen and dining area and it seemed like they were in total chaos. I asked for some silverware and the lady handed me a bunch of napkins and a gob of knives, forks, and spoons! It took around 15 minutes to get my simple omelet and bacon. I must say, the bacon was great. That night, around 9:45 we noticed a strong smell of cigarette smoke wafting into our room. It was horrible and we phoned the desk and were moved to another floor. We were told the only floor with smoking was the fourth floor (our luck!). So, we moved to the third and it was OK, though noisy- I guess everyone was staying on the 3rd floor. The front desk member gave us $20 off of our rate, so that was quite nice. Breakfast the next day was better managed, and less chaotic, but still took way too long to get my food or have my order taken. I would stay here again if the price was right, but I prefer the Hampton Inn in Gettysburg. The front desk staff were great, the kitchen staff not at all, and one restaurant server- a younger lady, she was great.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank amishfriend

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2009

The Hilton Garden Inn is a newer hotel located off of Rt. 15 in Gettysburg. There is a shopping center behind the hotel with a grocery store, a few shops, and a pizza place. There is also a gas station and an Arby's nearby. There are many other restaurants and shops that you can quickly drive to.

My check-in at the hotel went smoothly. I was made to feel very welcome and the clerk explained to me all the hotel offered and what was nearby. I was given two coupons for free bottled water so that was a nice gesture.

The hotel has a very nice business center on the first floor. It is in a room you must use your key to gain access to. It had two personal computers with high speed internet access; a full size copying machine, a fax machine and a laser jet printer.

A fitness ceter had a treadmill, stair stepper and recumbent bike. There was also an indoor pool. The hotel had coin operated washing machines and dryers.

The lobby had the American Grill Restaurant that served dinners and a $9.95 breakfast in the mornings. There was also a little shopping area that offered food and beverages and sundry items.

My room was clean and had a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and iron and ironing board. I had a flat screen television that could be rotated to where I was in the room. There was a lounge chair with foot rest, a desk and swivel chair.

My stay was pleasant and I had a fast checkout by the telephone. I would stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank NCTraveler2015
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2008

Friendly staff at check in, and very accommodating on ground floors (requested prior to check in). Free Wifi. Nice lobby in this new hotel. Buffet breakfast good. Quiet.

The pool and whirlpool was a nice addition, in particular after a full day walking miles (!) at Gettysburg.

Note that the only downsize is that you are about a 10-minute drive to central Gettysburg, so watch out for peak rush hour travel.

• Stayed July 2008
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2008

This is a clean, comfortable, and safe hotel. Attractive lobby
area and our room while small was entirely adequate. Bathroom was small and no where to really put toiletries as
the counter does not have drawers or a shelf available.

The bed was SOOOO comfortable. Hilton has it right when
they put these beds in their hotels. I have never slept on such
a comfortable king bed such as this one! Bedding was clean and fresh and the towels, while not fancy, were fluffy and new.
Everything was so nice and clean.

Best of all, since I have a food intolerance (gluten free/celiac) I
was worried about finding adequate food to heat up in the
microwave in our room.

No worries because there is a Gettysburg Giant Supermarket
that is within walking distance or by car (2 minutes) that is conveniently located behind the hotel. This grocery had everything I needed and extensive wheat free/gluten free
selection of cereals, frozen entrees, and cookies.

This made our two night stay very easy and pleasant. I also
liked the fact that they have coffee, decaf, and tea available in
the lobby entrance as well as cookies later in the afternoon.

Their buffet breakfast costs $13.00 but they had a nice
selection of fruit (wonderful strawberries) omelets, bacon,
cereal, etc. Well worth the price as the hotel cost is very
reasonable.

A nice retreat after sightseeing in Gettysburg all
day.

• Liked — Overall cleanliness and the comfy bed
  • Disliked — the lace of space in bathroom to place toiletries, etc. They could put a shelf in or even provide a basket to hold supplies
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

Hilton Garden Inn was great. We paid $125 by calling the hotel directly and using my AAA membership. Hotel was a few miles from the sights and easy to get to. Hotel room was comfortable for our family of five. We had two double beds and a cot (free of charge). Air conditioning was also comfortable. Quiet room, sizable closet, adequate toiletries. Great lobby area, complimentary tea, coffee, and hot cocoa all day (Big plus for my children) and cookies in the evening. This was our third stay in a Hilton Garden Inn and we loved it.

• Liked — free hot beverages
  • Disliked — would love a simple continental breakfast to be included
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
New York City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

Stayed for several days in August. While the hotel is new and looks nice, I had a series of unfortunate events that soured the visit.

The front desk called me on two different mornings to request a re-swipe of my credit card. Having had identity theft before, this is a very serious concern.

There seemed to be only one person working the desk and lobby at a time, ever. That made checking in and out very slow!

I went to the restaurant to have breakfast and was promptly ignored by the staff. After six minutes, I left.

The room's HVAC seemed to sit either too high or too low for my preferences. As the whole building felt damp & quite humid to me, I wonder if they are having issues with venting the pool that resides on the first floor.

Both elevators were out of service for an entire day. I don't mind the exercise, but some elderly patrons were quite agitated!

A lot of the exercise equipment, even though pretty new, seemed to be in disrepair. I don't know of this is due to rough use, children playing with the equipment, or what- but I expect there to be a working treadmill, a couple of exercise machines, and some free weights/dumbbells. I was dissapointed.

As a result of my mixed experience, I'd look at other hotels before deciding to come back to this one. The room was OK, but my entire experience left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank YaleDad
Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

My husband and I traveled to Gettysburg last month and stayed at this hotel. It was just as we would expect from the Hilton Hotels.

The beds were extremely comfortable, the rooms and the bathroom were very clean as well, as was the entire hotel, and everything was kept well-stocked throughout our stay.

The staff members were extremely helpful and always pleasant! We loved the coffee station in the lobby that was available 24 hours, that was very convenient and nice to have!

It is only a very short, maybe 7 minute drive (if even that) to the battlefield and downtown shopping. Not a problem, since we had our car anyway and planned on driving around town.

We are returning to this hotel in November, have already booked our room. If you stay here, you won't be disappointed!

• Liked — Comfort, cleanliness and convenience
  • Disliked — Hmmm....can't think of anything!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple