“Good in Most Ways”

Hilton Garden Inn Gettysburg
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Our experience was 90% satisfactory, but initially we almost walked away. We were then met with that attitude of " Our check-in time is 4 PM" before the clerk even check to see if a room was ready which, it was! Why do some hotel staff default to this answer without ever having checked to see if the room is available?

Beyond this, our experience was fine. The room was clean and quiet and the staff proved to be very helpful. Like another guest commented, I also think that breakfast should be free.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
cmvendetti27, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Gettysburg! I am pleased to learn that you an enjoyable experience at our location! We do allow for early check-in's if the room is ready when you arrive, regardless of the time before our standard check-in time. We will certainly use this review as a training tool for our staff. Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Although the staff was friendly why isn't breakfast part of the package? It is at the Hampton!! I really do not know any other chain that doesn't provide a hot breakfast especially for the prices you ask for your rooms!! We will stay at a Hamton from now on. Also, why not provide at least TWO easy chairs per room. Normally there are at Least two people per room. Well, each of us wanted an easy chair to relax in and watch television or read. In addition, there is no place to hang wet towels!! You need to provide more bath bars that one can hang wet towels. Traveling with a family I would avoid your hotel and choose one like the Hampton that provides a hot breakfast. Your chain needs to consider at least this change.

Room Tip: Not enough easy chairs and No place to hang wet towels!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
cmvendetti27, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2011

Thank you for staying with us on your most recent visit to Gettysburg! The Hilton Garden Inn chain is considered a mid-service upscale chain; Many limited service properties, like Hampton Inn, offer a light complimentary breakfast, however there is a charge for both breakfast and dinner if our guests elect to use that service due to the hotel classification. We offer a larger selection of options and our cooks will prepare hot items cooked-to-order just for you! I would like to recommend next time when booking with Hilton Garden Inn electing for a Bed & Breakfast package. This package allows children under 17 to eat breakfast free and offers breakfast to adults at a reduced cost - a great savings for traveling families!

I am not sure if you were aware, but we do offer rooms with sofa's which you may find more comfortable for your next visit. I am glad to see you found that the staff was friendly and that you rated room cleanliness 5 stars. Our staff works very hard to provide a comfortable stay for all of our guests. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and hopefully you will consider our location in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

We just came back from a weekend stay. The front desk staff at check in was quite nice. We had two Hilton Honors rooms. 2 weeks prior to our stay I phoned the hotel and asked for connecting rooms or rooms close by. There was no guarantee. Initially they had us booked in rooms on the same floor but not close. But, before we arrived, the rooms were moved to be across from each other which we appreciated. The room was clean. The bed comfortable. Like another reviewer stated, there was an ordor in the hall. I could smell it but no one else in my party noticed. It definitely smelled like a faint skunk odor on the second floor. You could not smell this in the room. The pool was small but clean with towels for the guests to use. You could definitely smell the chlorine on the first floor. Stay away from the breakfast buffet. There isn't enough staff to accommodate the guests if they are busy. The food was just ok. When I asked for the check, the girl told me to just stop at the front desk and tell someone what our room number was and how many people were in our group. I found this quite odd. The woman at the desk did not ask for identification or a name. Since the hotel was filled, I could have given her any room number. All she did was write the info down on a post-it. When we checked out, the same woman, Debora, was at the desk. I asked for a receipt. She said I didn't get one because of the Hilton Honors stay. When I said I wanted one she seemed annoyed. I wanted to be sure there were no other charges on the room except for that morning's buffets. Overall, the hotel was your typical Hilton Garden Inn. But, eat at Perkins. It is only a 3 minute drive down the road.

1  Thank weluv2travel7408
cmvendetti27, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to write this review. I have asked our maintenance team to look into your concerns so we can address any issues we find. I thank you for making us aware! I apologize for the experience you had at breakfast, we are in the process of implementing new policies and changes within our restaurant, which has started with the management team. I apologize that your experience was a negative one, but please know we are working to resolve those concerns and hopefully your next stay with us will be much more pleasant!

Reviewed July 16, 2011

I am wondering if it’s best to phrase this TA review as a “memo to the corporate managers of the Hilton brand”

Date: July 4, 2011. Appalling, truly appalling management on Independence Day. Or maybe I should say, non-existent management.

The hot breakfast never came, we waited an hour. Even though the chap at the omelette bar said the wait would be around 15-20 mins.

Soon there was no more food at the buffet, and no one replenishing it.
No one bussing the tables. Two poor waitresses and one order cook took the brunt of people’s hunger-induced wrath.

I went into the lobby to ask to speak to the manager. The girl at the front desk shrugged, there’s no manager here now.

When we got up and said, we’re tired of waiting, the cook said, good choice. Poor chap. Clearly he was frustrated too.

It became clear that this was not a staff issue, it was a management issue. People *do* travel on holidays, and hotel management should see to it that the dining room is properly staffed. This is a sad reflection on the Hilton name and brand.

Christina Turley, I see you reply to the TA comments, which shows you are committed to customer satisfaction and continual improvement. Hopefully the July 4 breakfast episode has been addressed and corrections have been implemented.

1  Thank syncopation1234

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to write this review. I apologize for the negative experience you had at our location - especially with breakfast; we are in the process of implementing new policies and changes within our restaurant, which has started with the F&B Management team. Please know we are working to resolve those issues and hopefully your next stay with us will be much more pleasant! If you have any questions or if you would like more details, please feel free to contact me at Christina.Turley@hilton.com

Thank you again for taking the time to make us aware of your concerns. I do appreciate when our guests let us know about their stay and allow us the opportunity to improve our services!!

Reviewed July 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a reenactment of the battle of Gettysburg. The staff was super friendly and helpful. Housekeeping was especially nice and efficient. The location is good, just a quick drive into town. The gym is great as they had two good treadmills and several medicine balls. Above average for hotel gyms. Food was also good. There is a supermarket behind the hotel, which is also convenient. Absolutely recommended.

• Stayed: July 2011
cmvendetti27, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2011

Thank you so much for selecting the Hilton Garden Inn Gettysburg during your visit to our area over the holiday weekend! We hope you enjoyed the Re-enactments just as much as your stay with us! Our fitness center is actually all brand new as part of our recent renovation and we are thrilled to know you enjoyed it! We know travelers have many options of hotels when traveling and we thank you for selecting us! We look forward to serving you again very soon!

Reviewed June 28, 2011

My husband and daughter stayed at the Hilton from 6-24 to 6-27. This hotel is one of the best I have ever stayed in! It was clean, the staff was so nice, and the rooms were amazing! I mainly picked it because it had an indoor pool, rather then an outdoor one, but it so exceeded my expectarions.
We asked the front desk for some recommendations to eat, and they didn't steer us wrong. If you're ever going to Gettysburg, I HIGHLY recommend you stay here!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
cmvendetti27, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2011

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review! We certainly appreciate your feedback and look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here during Memorial Day Weekend for a soccer tournament.
The hotel was very nice and clean. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly.
The only complaint was that the hotel had a two night minimum at an expensive rate and it didn't include breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us over Memorial Day weekend with your soccer team! We are glad you enjoyed your visit! We understand your concerns over the rate, therefore we do offer discounts to teams that stay with us, we do however request the two night minimum stays due to the nature of this event. We certainly look forward to serving you again in the near future!