“Very Interesting Beers”

Battlefield Brew Works & Spirits of Gettysburg
Ranked #47 of 128 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Brew Pub, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“Very Interesting Beers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Other reviews are right on. Nice location just outside of town. Historic barn is very cool, but beware the rough hewn floor boards. Sampler of a variety of beers reasonably priced. Some very good, others not to my taste. Food good and bad. Good fried pickles (5). Good "Old Bay" sausage. Supermarket potato salad. If you like beer, it's a must see if you are in the area.

• Visited July 2014

Shrewsbury, New Jersey
“Great brew !!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We went for dinner during bike week ... No ... We did not know it was bike week lol... Great homemade brew !!! It's a must stop for lunch or dinner ! Fun place !
Great food !

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Cynthia C
West Springfield, Massachusetts
“If Nano Brew is For You, This is Your Barn!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

We had been in Gettysburg for two days and been through most of the restaurants searching for local craft brew and local cuisine. We discovered that the Battlefield Brewery was the only local brewery in town, and housed in a barn that served as a Confederate field hospital following the battle. The location was also a plus, being outside of the crowded and touristy down town and close to the Marriott we were staying at. The barn is indeed a barn, it's big and rustic with uneven floor boards and a mile high ceiling. The BBQ is accomplished out in the parking lot under a cook tent and included Boar and Buffalo Sausage and pulled pork. While the menu is limited, it is serious back yard grilling. The beer was the best we had had in a long time. It's not like anything domestic, and different than most craft brews. It is very fresh, very local and brewed in small batches. It had that wonderful home brew quality. We loved it. They had two on cask, my favorite style, with low carbonation and only slightly below room temperature. Their staff was exceptional and the owner a very gracious host. We spent two nights at the Battlefield Brew Works. The second night they had two bands in. Live music, fresh beer, grilled sausage, smoked pork, even homemade pretzels and all local. As comfortable as it gets. The Brew Works also supports charity work for Veterans through donations and T Shirt sales. They do have a mug club, and while we would have loved to buy a mug, all of them had been sold out till next year. Apparently, around 200 local folks are regulars. We would be too if we didn't live seven hours away.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Turnturn02159
London, Kentucky
“Has potential!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

I was recommended here by several folks I spoke with in Gettysburg. It's a brewery that focuses on BBQ/meat, so what's not to love? I ordered a flight of all 6 beers they had on tap. The hop artillery IPA was one of the worst beers I've ever had. It is from a cask and had no carbonation at all. The red circle wasn't much better. However the smoked porter and peach wheat made up for those disappointments as both were above average brews. The IPA and lager were each just drinkable. The pulled pork was just ok as well. Chips and pretzel pieces filled in for the pork nicely. The atmosphere was cool (it's in a former confederate field hospital close to the battlefield). I feel like this is the type of place that people want to like more than they actually like it. That's how I feel about it. I wanted to like it so much I couldn't be too disappointed. I'd go back again and I want this place to succeed but it was underwhelming. I hope maybe with more time and experience they can make their beer better as it was average at best. Certainly not in the upper echelons of craft breweries I've visited.

2 Thank Dustin T
“Fantastic atmosphere, great service, brews, and food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

For only being open 11 months, this place is wonderful! My boyfriend and I asked the owner to give us a tour, which he was more than happy to do. He is the only brewer there, and the brew works are pretty small, so it almost had the feel of a home brew, but the beer and cider is fantastic, as well as the home made root beer! The food was good, as well as the live entertainment. I will definitely be going back when I visit Gettysburg, and I would highly recommend this place to anyone who loves good food and beer!

• Visited June 2014