“Hmmm. Waitress was nice.”

Inn at Herr Ridge Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Inn at Herr Ridge Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 132 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Herr's Ridge Rd.
Description: Fine dining in a cozy, business casual atmosphere. ~ Wine Spectator Award of Excellence ~ Susquehanna Style Magazine Silver Spoon Award Winner Business Meetings, Bus Groups, Rehearsal Dinners and other Private Events from 10-150.
Racine, Ohio
“Hmmm. Waitress was nice.”
Reviewed October 13, 2009

What can I say?? The place was very nice. Very sweet waitress. Hostess sucked eggs. Wedding rehersal dinner was going on. Took one hour and 20 minutes to get food. Chef did send out some Tuna TarTar for free but..it was a one bite thing. Prices were beyond reasonable for the food!! 8 dollars for a small saucer with one sprig of Arugala salad about the size of a small lemon and a few chipped pieces of Goat cheese. Not very tasty. My dinner was small but good( Paid mid twenty dollars for it) but my friends were not. They took 1/2 off for one of them but nothing off for the other. Won't eat there again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Las Vegas, NV
“Big city culinary in small town style”
Reviewed August 11, 2009

My husband and I dined there during our trip to Gettysburg and were more than pleasantly suprised at the quality of service, wine selection and menu. Our host and waiter were knowledgable about the wine list and helped us select the perfect pairing for our meal. A huge plus is that the chef uses local, fresh ingredients in all of the dishes and the menu changes seasonally. It was absolutely the best meal we had during our PA trip (which included a meal at 10 Arts at the Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia!).
Is it pricey? yes. Is it worth it? YES! If you are looking for something special- not tourist or bar fare- this is the place.

New Jersey
“You pay for the history, but you don't get much value or expected service”
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Dinner for four on Sunday at 5 pm Sunday Memorial Day weekend. Historic house in the area of the battlefield where the confederate army marched northward. We were seated immediately (no one was there) in a room directly off the entry area with only 3 other tables, which contributed to the expectation of a special dining experience. The host gave us a brief background of the tavern and its place in history. Service was cordial but not exceptional; should have been better and more professional. Garlic infused olive oil for bread dipping was very good. The salad featuring lump crabmeat and locally grown asparagus was a highlight, but the fennel-shaved salad, priced the same, was very small and not worth it at all. Ordered pistachio crusted tuna medium rare, came out too rare. Told the waitress it needed a minute more on the fire; waited 15 minutes and it came out far too cooked to be enjoyable. Other dishes fared better including shrimp / scallop and chicken on the bone. Portions were not particularly sizable so the value for the money is just not there. I guess you are paying for the history lesson.

herrtav, General Manager at Inn at Herr Ridge Restaurant, responded to this review, June 16, 2009
Thank you for your recent visit to the Inn at Herr Ridge. We are sorry that your dining experience with us did not meet your expectations. We strive to offer a distinctive fine dining experience for all our guests. The portions are not to be too large so that you are able to enjoy multiple courses.
We are constantly looking for ways to improve and appreciate your feedback. Please visit us again and feel free to post another review.
Beth Senseney
Inn at Herr Ridge
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Host does NOT have the MOST!!!!”
Reviewed April 27, 2009

I will NEVER EVER forget the poor treatment I received at this restaurant!

At the host stand you are met (I will not say greeted because it is more like sneered at) by a snobby, smirking, fop twit! To look at him and his haughty behavior you think he believes himself to be the host of a five star restaurant in the cultural district of NYC. Which, by the way, I go to, OFTEN !

A few years back my sister and I decided to go here for a late lunch and a little more historic ambience after a day of sightseeing. I will admit, we were dressed casual (I had on a newer matching sweat suit and my sister had on nice jeans w/ a $400 leather coat. Can not remember what the kids were wearing.) but it was lunch and this is a tourist town. There were a few tables seated in, what I presumed to be the main dinning room. The rest of the dinning room was completely empty. When the host approached us he gave us sort of a look up and down and a twice over on our three kids (16, 8, AND 5) He unapologetically told us he could not accommodate us. We left thinking, “Okay, this is one of those restaurants that closes for a time between lunch and dinner.” We did not realize how insulted we just were until we went out to the parking lot. We watched a group of three ladies enter the restaurant and waited to see if they came back out. They DID NOT!

My sister and I are both professional people. (My sister is a insurance lawyer and I am a Harvard educated architectural engineer) We are not used to being treated like scum and were mortified because it now became obvious he had the room to seat us. However, he apparently decided there was something he did not like about us. Excuse me ... MR. FOP, let me give you a dose of reality: you are NOT in NYC serving patrons going to the opera, you are in the PA countryside serving tourists that are a little rumpled.

Although we still go to Gettysburg I have NEVER returned and NEVER will !

2 Thank 1smartblonde
We are sorry that your experience with us was unfavorable. Unfortunately this is a dated comment. This is the same review that was placed in the forum over 11/2 years ago just recently (April 2009) posted as a review that reads "a few years ago". That means it was over 3 years ago that this incident occurred.
We are constantly looking for ways to improve and appreciate your feedback. Please come visit us again so you can offer an up to date review of our restaurant.
We look forward to seeing you!
Beth Senseney
Inn at Herr Ridge
New Oxford, PA
“With good food and friendly staff, a view of the battlefield and a fine wine cellar, a great place just out of Gettysburg.”
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Have eaten here a couple of times. It is one of the historic places to eat, with a continentail cuisine better than the more traditional fare at most of the other area restaurants. It has a good wine cellar, and a very capable staff. Eating on the glassed front porch with sunset lighting the battlefield view is a treat, but all the rooms have their own ambience. Worth visiting if you have a day or two to spend in the area. Not for the kids though; take them to the McDonald's across from the tour center.